Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
HDR Night Shot Setting ?

I was reading a thread on Ugly Hedgehog forum regarding the Canon 4ti.
and quote: "You mentioned noise at low light levels....Well, let me tell you....I can not think of the name for the setting right now but,
You hold the shutter down and it takes 4 rapid shots, combines them and in 2 seconds you get a sharp, well exposed, no noise, night photo.
When she showed that to me I was - WOW. Great night shots without a tripod... "
another forum member "Yes, it does in-camera HDR (shoots 3 shots and combines them into one) -- and does a really good job at it too! My 40D can't do that!! "

Is there a Pentax DSLR with this setting option?

02-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #2

K-5 has in-camera HDR but I rarely use it because it is jpeg only. The other alternative is bracket shooting and combine them in other RAW converter. I usually do 5 shots bracket and do HDR in Photoshop CS5.
02-20-2013, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
I was reading a thread on Ugly Hedgehog forum regarding the Canon 4ti.
and quote: "You mentioned noise at low light levels....Well, let me tell you....I can not think of the name for the setting right now but,
You hold the shutter down and it takes 4 rapid shots, combines them and in 2 seconds you get a sharp, well exposed, no noise, night photo.
When she showed that to me I was - WOW. Great night shots without a tripod... "
another forum member "Yes, it does in-camera HDR (shoots 3 shots and combines them into one) -- and does a really good job at it too! My 40D can't do that!! "

Is there a Pentax DSLR with this setting option?
The K30 has in camera HDR, as well as a "Night Scene HDR" setting in the SCN mode which according to the description "Generates a single HDR image with less noise from 3 images captured in dim lighting."
02-20-2013, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #4

Even the K-01 has a night scene HDR setting

02-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-r and K-x also have Night Scene HDR setting
02-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for answering. I've been eyeing the K30 and this adds to the plus side.
02-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Banned

The k30's a nice lil camera, not quite as advanced as the K5's, but not as expensive either. I got mine as a replacement for a K20 and couldn't be happier with it! Don't think you could go wrong either way though!
02-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Don't forget the Q! I believe the MX-1 does in camera HDR as well.

02-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Out of curiousity I just grabbed my K-30 and pointed it out the window and shot with the Night Scene HDR setting to see how it fared. It shot at ISO 6400 at 1/5 of a second and forced the aperture to remain wide open - in this case with my Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5. It wouldn't let me change the ISO, aperture, shutter speed or (most importantly due to the amount of sodium lights out there) the white balance. I suspect a tripod would very much be needed unless you had a very bright light source involved somewhere.