Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was planning to buy Sigma 50-150mm and this exactly is the concern which is holding me.

02-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
A wafer that is delicately made in a sterile clean room with many sensitive processes. Hence the very long term longevity. I believe we are thinking on the same page here. =)
Mhmm indeed
02-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Returning to the OP's question about DA lenses... I imagine (hope) that if (when?) Pentax introduces a full-frame camera, said camera will have a 1.5 crop mode that allows for the
use of DA lenses on the camera (without vignetting).
02-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Returning to the OP's question about DA lenses... I imagine (hope) that if (when?) Pentax introduces a full-frame camera, said camera will have a 1.5 crop mode that allows for the
use of DA lenses on the camera (without vignetting).
Good point....that would be my hope. Since no camera manufacture does that.....is that possible?

02-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #35

Original Poster
Yes, a 1.5 crop mode would be ideal. Let's hope Pentax have the sense to do that.
Although I have no plans at the moment to get one, with a 1.5 crop mode I'd definitely consider a FF body sometime in the future, and not have any misgivings about investing in the 60-250 that I'd like. Fingers crossed that's what will happen.
As to whether it's possible to have a crop mode, I can't imagine it would be that difficult to implement.
02-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #36
Pentaxian

If I'm not mistaken the Nikon D800(e) has a 1.5 crop mode... and I've heard a rumor that the new (APS-C) D7100 has a 4/3 crop mode (i.e. 2x).

On the other hand, I'm often mistaken, but I don't let it bother me.
02-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Just saying this: Most of ppl around are using a APS-C camera with kit lens, and among them 80% are satisfied with their equipment.
And the rest 20%, they have two choices: either too poor to buy a FF (like me), or they have already owned one. (like other CNS bastards).
02-22-2013, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter

APS-C is full frame considering the current lens line-up of Pentax. Why would we need or ask for a 24x36 sensor without a need?
Only some old lens designs cover larger formats, but all really new lenses are optimized for APS-C. Wide angles do not cover 35mm full frame and other lenses are optimized for APS-C although the image circle may illuminate a larger area. Ever since Ricoh took over Pentax´ product strategy is a desaster. Give them 6 more months to announce useful things and 1 year to deliver.

02-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
APS-C is full frame considering the current lens line-up of Pentax. Why would we need or ask for a 24x36 sensor without a need?
Only some old lens designs cover larger formats, but all really new lenses are optimized for APS-C. Wide angles do not cover 35mm full frame and other lenses are optimized for APS-C although the image circle may illuminate a larger area. Ever since Ricoh took over Pentax´ product strategy is a desaster. Give them 6 more months to announce useful things and 1 year to deliver.
02-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Its too early to say anything about Ricoh-Pentax strategy...
02-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
But having invested in my K-5 together with a number of APSC format lenses, I would like to know if there will there be a continuing development of the APSC line of cameras and lenses.
PRIC certainly plans to do so for the near future.

While I would love to have a FF Pentax, buying new lenses for that is a considerable investment.
Should I now be buying just FF compatible lenses, and not bother with the DA* 60-250 that I desire?
Tough question. And since it involves your money, you need to take the decision.

What do other forum members think?
Well, I mainly invested in FF primes and MFT primes. I have a couple good APS-C lenses, but that's all.

I would not be surprised if APS-C dies a second death (as a DSLR format) and maybe even a third (as a MILC format). But it may still survive.

I do expect DSLRs to become less relevant, so I don't plan to buy any DSLR or DSLR lens (and that implies APS-C lenses, of course). I considered buying an APS-C MILC but I abandoned the idea. Now, it someone would build a FF MILC system, I would most likely buy a body, but I am not sure if I would be interested in getting lenses as well.
02-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #42
Forum Member

So what is the story of FF cameras? I believe it is all based on a standard for using one size film cassettes in all brands of cameras.

Those film cassettes are gone. They are not coming back. There is no reason to keep that standard for the size of the sensor. If the sensor and lens combination work well in combination with the lens mount, why would you insist of making a different size of sensor?
02-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mdodrill Quote
I don't see the APS market going away.....but it could under a complete realignment of photography in which only expensive FF are owned by pros and those with very deep pockets and every one else uses a phone. I hope it does not come to that; but could be.
I don't see the APS market going away anytime soon. They're still making point and shoot cameras that have been written off by lots of pundits. They're still making 4/3 cameras, which one would think would be going away before the larger aps sensors.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
So what is the story of FF cameras? I believe it is all based on a standard for using one size film cassettes in all brands of cameras.

Those film cassettes are gone. They are not coming back. There is no reason to keep that standard for the size of the sensor. If the sensor and lens combination work well in combination with the lens mount, why would you insist of making a different size of sensor?
It really doesn't matter how the current crop of sensors came to be manufactured in the sizes they are - they are what's being manufactured now and are available now. It would be much more work to go invent something new in size configuration than to continue with what we have.

It seems like there is a lot of silly talk going on that FF cameras are going to take over the market place tomorrow and there will be no more dslrs in a year or two Even Thom Hogan (i think it was him) has been openly critical of Nikon for not spending more effort on APS cameras and their DX lenses. Last year, i bought a Nex camera but discovered that Sony didn't have the fast zoom lenses available that would enable me to replace my Pentax K5 for the publicity work i do for a local playhouse. My K5 and the aps lenses i have available are good enough that i don't see any benefit in buying a FF camera and some really expensive lenses (like a good short to moderate zoom and a 70-200 zoom to replace my Pentax 50-135).

The marketplace just doesn't seem to be changing over to FF as quick as Nikon expected - thus their recent big rebate program to clear out lens overstock. People need to define their own camera and lens needs and purchase accordingly and not get rushed into buying something quick, like they were going to miss some scheduled camera termination date.. APS cameras are going to be around a long time yet.
02-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Its too early to say anything about Ricoh-Pentax strategy...
You think so?
Having only seen products started by Pentax-Hoya (because only 1.5 years passed since Pentax Ricoh started to exist), I think we accurately know the Pentax Ricoh's strategy, down to the smallest detail

On the subject: APS-C is mainstream and they'll stay mainstream, for years at least. I have better things to worry than to the future of growing mainstream products, and how they could be replaced with niche (single-digit market) products.
02-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Seven grand is about right for a 560mm lens. Just like 50 000 is not much for a Ferrari.
It is debatable wether the 560 is profitable at all. The 90mm for the 645 cost $5000.
you are probably right but what gets me I guess is that I have an SMC manual focus f4.5 I paid $500.00 for it used obviously and it has excellent glass and is a full stop faster. not to mention the crop factor when shooting wildlife and using a 2X converter it gives me the reach of a 1500mm at around f7.1 I just don't see the advantage of the newer lenses at this focal length especially at that type of cost.