Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #1

What is the future of APSC?

I'm not sure if this should be posted in the camera or the lens section, but here goes . . .

There is a lot of discussion about the next Full Frame Pentax. There also seems to be a move amongst other manufacturers to have much cheaper Full Frame cameras available.
But having invested in my K-5 together with a number of APSC format lenses, I would like to know if there will there be a continuing development of the APSC line of cameras and lenses.
While I would love to have a FF Pentax, buying new lenses for that is a considerable investment.
Should I now be buying just FF compatible lenses, and not bother with the DA* 60-250 that I desire?

What do other forum members think?

02-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even if APS-C DSLRs get phased out, they're not going to disappear overnight, so the money you've invested in lenses certainly won't go to waste. I'd say that the format will be around for a while still, but that pro-level cameras will all be full-frame eventually.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
Banned

I know many pros using a combo of crop and FF on jobs. The former gives them a bit extra reach.
02-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The launch of the nikon D7200 gives you the answer...

02-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

On this subject; if we assume for a second that Pentax keeps the K Mount for an upcoming FF model. What will that do to exiting APS-C lens they we all know and love? Will just mean reconsidering the labeled focal lengths? Vignetting? Something else?
02-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know that the longer "reach" of APS-C is essentially just cropping the center, but for me personally, shooting mainly wild life and mainly small critters, cropping is the rule anyway, and investing in a more expensive full format camera and replace lenses just to crop off even more of the picture in 99% of my photos... well, it makes little sense.

So I also hope that APS-C will stay in existence at the high-end too, so the choice won't be limited to entry-level APS-C or top end FF.
02-21-2013, 03:28 AM   #7

I look at that this way- APS-C brings money, Full Frame brings status to camera manufacturers. Not many people can aforde FF so I believe APS-C future is more than bright....

02-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Until somone can manufacture a FF sensor at the same price as an APS-C sized sensor then the market for APS-C sized DSLR's will always exist because they present an option that costs vastly less to produce and thus cheaper sale price and yet greater profit. Simply put the sensor is one of the most expensive parts of a DSLR body to create.
02-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #9
Banned

Also size is a concern. Once they figure out how to reduce the size of a FF cam (which Sony so far has done admirably with the RX1) and still retain controls and some sort of a VF, we're set.

However, I don't think APSc is going anywhere and my guess is that we'll finally start seeing more and more APS-like compacts available.

Olympus decided to be stupid and never made a company using the 4/3 sensor, then Canon blindsided everyone with the G1x and Sony with the RX100, so it's inevitable that now we're going to enter an era of sensor size wars, which is fantastic. I also notice Sony is educating people on sensor size now and this leads me to believe they will be doing APS-c compacts, too.
02-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

By the same principle, why can't they reduce the size of the medium format camera and processing speed to at least that of current FF? I think Pentax somewhere stated that mirrorless MF camera was a possibility?

If every Tom, Dick and Mary have FF cameras, there will be a market for those folks who need to distinguish their photos in a real or perceived way...
02-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
APS-C isn't going anywhere. The reason is simple, APS-C sensors will always be less expensive and available in larger numbers than 135 FF sensors.
02-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Also size is a concern. Once they figure out how to reduce the size of a FF cam (which Sony so far has done admirably with the RX1) and still retain controls and some sort of a VF, we're set.
It could be done, if they simply reduce the size of the FF sensor to say... hmmm... 15.7X23.7 mm. Then it would easily fit into a K5 sized body!

Kjell
02-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For all those wondering about the future , why bother, we can't predict tomorrow, so there is no point worrying about a few years down the road.

Lets be practical about this.

For all the discussion about size, whether or not the future includes a mirror and optical viewfinder or electronic view finder etc..... Think about the impacts.

All camera makers are tied to their existing regestry distance. With the exception of canon, who have had the arrogance to abandon their past lens mount twice, leaving their customers no option but to replace all their existing lenses or remain with old technology, not other maker can afford today, to do this. The market impact would sink the company.

Therefore, if you don't change the regestry, which is largely based upon the clearances necessary to swing a mirror, cameras will not get more compact. That is as simple as it gets.

As for the future of APS-C sensors, they will remain, there are just too many users, and lenses out the for them to go away totally. I can see both an entry level and advanced APS-C camera remaining for a long time even if Pentax does deliver a FF body or two.

The only thing I hope with a FF if it does appear, is that Pentax fully support K lenses, and they bring back TTL flash capability like the *istD
02-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hopefully they will retain the K mount. I have both DA* lenses and full frame compatible lenses in the crippled K mount. but given their past of keeping things backwards compatible I look for them to somehow make a full frame that the DA* line can be used without any problems. I also use a 500mm f4.5 SMC manual focus on my K10 and K5. replacing it with a so called modern lens would be way too costly for my budget. the AF sigma alone is close to 5 grand.
02-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
the AF sigma alone is close to 5 grand.
It will be six grand when Pentax finally gets the HSM version.