Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
However, things have started to shift... I have two main needs that have emerged now. First:
Action shots. My nephews are really getting into the age of sports now, and while I can get good shots of them now, I can't help but feel I could get MORE good shots of them with another brand.
Unless I missed a reply or something, no one asked the most important question pertaining to your quoted need - What Sport or Sport(s).

This is quite simply the most important question and should have been asked/stated/etc at the near starting of this thread - you could be shooting underwater sports and thus a simple GoPro will solve the need.

Also, have you started a similar thread on a Nikon or even a less bias forum?

Again, maybe I missed a reply somewhere but I didn't see where you specified what sport(s) - this is extremely significant...

03-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Once upon a time, I looked at people who didn't shoot Pentax and thought they were on something. Now I think they're onto something.

When I started shooting, a lot of my shots worked great on my Pentax. Tripod at night, daytime walking around, snowy weather? Grab the K20D!

However, things have started to shift... I have two main needs that have emerged now. First:
Action shots. My nephews are really getting into the age of sports now, and while I can get good shots of them now, I can't help but feel I could get MORE good shots of them with another brand. Maybe I'm crazy but the Pentax lacks the confidence in focus that my sister's new Nikon has. (Keep in mind I have a K20D, not a 30 or 5-II or anything...) It's not even how fast it can spin the lens, it is the confidence and accuracy at which it spins it. You know? I don't care about a billion focus points, I could live with one if I needed to.

Work videos: I want to record videos of using my app, others using my app, etc. I currently have NO video capability in my DSLR so I use my iPhone 5 for any video recording. It does ok. But nothing too special, no zoom, etc. If I bought a new camera today it would either be the K-5 or K30... So now the question is... Why would I?

Full frame doesn't matter, but having these two things suddenly be much more important to me, I can't help but feel my Pentax days are numbered... I love the brand, I love the way they feel, I wish Pentax could just come out with another camera to blow them all away, but I can't wait for that to happen the rest of my life. I hate that I'm even writing these words, but...

Is there another brand (Hoping Nikon) that would suit my needs well? Two BIG necessities are weather sealed and two dials, otherwise I'm pretty open.
Honestly? if you have not out grown K20 (a camera 5 years ago), you probably should quit photography. Juz kidding!

As someone said, if you are not heavily invest in Pentax glass, why not try out other brands?
03-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I've got a Nikon D800E and a K-5 and I have found that it's the lens that determines how well you can focus for action shots. My AF-S 35/1.4 is slow as is my AF-S 300/4. I find that my K-5 and DA*200 gets BIF better than any of my Nikon gear to date and I regret selling off many of my Pentax lenses. My K-5 combined with, my now sold, FA*300 was faster for action shots than either of my Nikon tele's. Sigma Zooms (70-200 HSMII etc) seem to focus much faster than either Pentax or Nikon as well from my experience.
Good points and have to agree with you on this.
03-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #49
Veteran Member

The Nikon D7100 looks to be a steal of a deal considering it is estimated at the same price as the K5IIs.
Faster sync speed, 24MP, no AA filter, 51 focus points.

03-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
The Nikon D7100 looks to be a steal of a deal considering it is estimated at the same price as the K5IIs. Faster sync speed, 24MP, no AA filter, 51 focus points.
But its a much newer camera. Its not quite fair to compare a brand new camera (was barely just announced) to a camera that is, in its essence, relatively old technology. On the other hand, yes, that is a problem that Pentax needs to deal with, sooner than later.
03-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But its a much newer camera. Its not quite fair to compare a brand new camera (was barely just announced) to a camera that is, in its essence, relatively old technology. On the other hand, yes, that is a problem that Pentax needs to deal with, sooner than later.
It's true, however the op was looking at possible Nikon cameras. The only thing I'm not sure it has is weather sealing. Other then that it has things people on the Pentax forums have been asking for awhile like a aperture ring feeler so old manual lenses meter better. On the plus side I hope things like a de-crippled mount, faster sync speed, multiple card slots ect. makes Pentax realize that it is important and includes things like this in future models

Last edited by Dr_who; 03-03-2013 at 03:00 PM.
03-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I hope we're not already calling the K-5IIs an old camera... It's hard to go with that philosophy on ANY camera that hasn't been discontinued yet, you know?
03-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #53
Pentaxian

As someone who has taken thousands of sports photos with Pentax (K20D and K-7), and who has taken thousands of sports shots with Nikon, I can testify to the far superior focus ability of the Nikon and way higher keeper rate. This is with a similarly aged camera (D300s).

Get a D300 or D300s and a 70-200 (VR1 will be fine) and you'll be blown away by the focus speed AND tracking ability. Even a D7000 (same sensor as K-5) will be better. The D300/s is better weather sealed though and has more on-body controls.

Yes you can get some great shots with Pentax gear, just not as many and not as reliably. It's that simple.

03-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #54
Pentaxian

I hope we're not already calling the K-5IIs an old camera... It's hard to go with that philosophy on ANY camera that hasn't been discontinued yet, you know?
Well, the sensor it uses has been used in the D7000, the version before the D7100. So in that regard, it is an old camera, one generation older in fact. I am not saying it is ancient worthless outdated technology, far from it, its a great an capable camera, but that is just how technology develops, each generation is a new leap forward and you get more stuff for a better price. So comparing the K-5 and K-5II to the D7000 makes sense (and the Pentax wins), but to the D7100.. not quite a fair comparison. In my opinion.
03-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
As someone who has taken thousands of sports photos with Pentax (K20D and K-7), and who has taken thousands of sports shots with Nikon, I can testify to the far superior focus ability of the Nikon and way higher keeper rate. This is with a similarly aged camera (D300s).

Get a D300 or D300s and a 70-200 (VR1 will be fine) and you'll be blown away by the focus speed AND tracking ability. Even a D7000 (same sensor as K-5) will be better. The D300/s is better weather sealed though and has more on-body controls.

Yes you can get some great shots with Pentax gear, just not as many and not as reliably. It's that simple.
The biggest issue with any of all of this thread is we still don't know what kind of sport (or sports) he will be shooting. It doesn't matter if it's a nikon or pentax, or even sony or canon, auto-focus or any of that, really everything is a mute point because without the proper optics for the sport he is shooting it won't matter what system he is shooting with.
03-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think really the most fair comparison is just comparing items that are on the same price tier.
03-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Not sure what prices are like in your land so can't comment on that.

The other thing to consider is suitable lenses. Are you satisfied with a 70-300/f4.5-5.6, or do want the shots with the background out of focus that you get with f4 or lower zoomed out? Pentax don't make a 70-200/f2.8, Tamron and Sigma do (in Pentax mount? Don't know). The 70-200, at times coupled with a 1.4x TC can do the bulk of the work, even for field sport. My Nikon 70-200 is fantastic, it is also the lens that helps focus speed, as my 70-300 is much slower.

Then if you get carried away (like I did), you've got your 300, 400, 500 f2.8, f4 primes to consider!

Get you nephews' parents to chip in for the upgrade cost!
03-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Not sure what prices are like in your land so can't comment on that.

The other thing to consider is suitable lenses. Are you satisfied with a 70-300/f4.5-5.6, or do want the shots with the background out of focus that you get with f4 or lower zoomed out? Pentax don't make a 70-200/f2.8, Tamron and Sigma do (in Pentax mount? Don't know). The 70-200, at times coupled with a 1.4x TC can do the bulk of the work, even for field sport. My Nikon 70-200 is fantastic, it is also the lens that helps focus speed, as my 70-300 is much slower.

Then if you get carried away (like I did), you've got your 300, 400, 500 f2.8, f4 primes to consider!

Get you nephews' parents to chip in for the upgrade cost!
I DEFINITELY want the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8.. But it is quite spendy! That might be my next "major" purchase but considering the K-30 isn't even here yet... That may be a bit away
03-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Regarding video, I figured I'd share something from when I first picked up the K30 and was determined to NOT let the weather keep my from playing around a bit.

FWIW, I wouldn't of dared try this with my K-x, and I'm not so certain in hindsight doing so with the K-30 was so smart since it was a non WR lens attached to it. I suggest viewing it at 1080p if your connection can handle it. This is probably the worst conditions to try video in on all levels, so whatever you would try with it should prove better.

03-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #60

I shot this today with my *IST DS circa 2004. 6.1MP of glory cropped close to 1:1. I was using an M series 50mm around F/4. It will make a fine 5x7...