Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
Closed Account

QuoteQuote:
Of course a 5D Mark III focuses faster with a 70-200 2.8. That kit will set you back 5 grand or more. Use a 60D with a 50mm f/1.4 and it's no better than a Pentax K-5 in my humble opinion, video notwithstanding.

I may be WAY off base here but passion, practice and knowledge make a difference. I mean, how many focus points did Joe Rosenthal have?

02-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I've got a Nikon D800E and a K-5 and I have found that it's the lens that determines how well you can focus for action shots. My AF-S 35/1.4 is slow as is my AF-S 300/4. I find that my K-5 and DA*200 gets BIF better than any of my Nikon gear to date and I regret selling off many of my Pentax lenses. My K-5 combined with, my now sold, FA*300 was faster for action shots than either of my Nikon tele's. Sigma Zooms (70-200 HSMII etc) seem to focus much faster than either Pentax or Nikon as well from my experience.
02-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
Your post, and my personal experience of testing the waters by buying a 60D (and noticing that things aren't really any better with Canon, at least unless you spend BIG BUCKS) solidifies my decision in the Pentax system.

Of course a 5D Mark III focuses faster with a 70-200 2.8. That kit will set you back 5 grand or more. Use a 60D with a 50mm f/1.4 and it's no better than a Pentax K-5 in my humble opinion, video notwithstanding.
This is a wonderfully helpful post. Build quality is incredibly important, as it is what will separate real weather durability from not. As you said, your internals might be exposed sometime soon. That's not going to be very sealed from the elements... Meanwhile, Pentax shoots the K-30 with a damn hose!

Perhaps the K-30 and faster lenses will help calm my worries.

A lot of my video I'd shoot won't even really need focusing. It will be camera sitting on a tripod focused on one spot... At least from a business standpoint.
02-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I still shoot with K20D bodies. As far as catching action, this shot was taken during a short break in the rain (last May) - Candle in the Rain (NSFW, contains nudity) The model is airborne in this shot (ISO 200, F2.8, 1/800, Aperture Priority) and the K20D FA50/1.4 did just fine freezing the action.

02-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the local studio owners who hired me for an event recently shot video mainly with a Pentax K-01. He used to have some 60D's, but after getting a K-01 the 60D became an emergency backup only.

As for getting into another system, well if the OP hasn't invested yet in lots of P glass, I guess switching isn't a very big deal. But given what I see (the leap in AF performance from the K-x to the K-5 IIs), the AF improvements in Pentaxland currently are, as far as I can say, "good enough" for some sports. Excellent hand-eye coordination (through practice) + Quick-Shift does wonders too
02-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eastman Quote
I still shoot with K20D bodies. As far as catching action, this shot was taken during a short break in the rain (last May) - Candle in the Rain (NSFW, contains nudity) The model is airborne in this shot (ISO 200, F2.8, 1/800, Aperture Priority) and the K20D FA50/1.4 did just fine freezing the action.
Wouldn't this have more to do with shutter speed than focus speed? Now catch her playing soccer... You know? But I guess I can see your point.
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
One of the local studio owners who hired me for an event recently shot video mainly with a Pentax K-01. He used to have some 60D's, but after getting a K-01 the 60D became an emergency backup only.

As for getting into another system, well if the OP hasn't invested yet in lots of P glass, I guess switching isn't a very big deal. But given what I see (the leap in AF performance from the K-x to the K-5 IIs), the AF improvements in Pentaxland currently are, as far as I can say, "good enough" for some sports. Excellent hand-eye coordination (through practice) + Quick-Shift does wonders too
I wouldn't make the jump to the K-5 IIs just yet, as my glass wouldn't really make it worth it. Plus the K-30 has a couple advantages I might like.

Anyway, all that aside, I think I've realized that somewhat as well. That's funny that the K-01 even replaced the 60D. Love it.
02-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #22

I wouldn't listen to anyone if I was you. Take your time and try before you buy.
In my experience Canon is way ahead of Pentax when it comes to AF. But Pentax is way ahead in everything else. I've been shoting with 7d before I switched to k5 and yes it has better AF. Not that much faster but AF points are so much smaller and that helps alot. Everything else is IMO better on k5. It feels far more solid,ergonomics are without competition and IQ in high ISO is amazing for APS camera.
Just try before you buy.

02-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #23
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Now catch her playing soccer... You know? But I guess I can see your point. .
Don't know if they were females and due to my inexperience, shutter was too slow but they were definitely running at me. The little guy was moving.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Damn!

What body/lens combo for those? I achieved a couple similar results with K20D and DA 40mm LTD but unfortunately that was all with manual focus.
02-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #25
Closed Account

Damn!

What body/lens combo for those? I achieved a couple similar results with K20D and DA 40mm LTD but unfortunately that was all with manual focus.
Its in the EXIF but K-5 and 50-135. Had the lens since 2009, use heavily. The key is focus on the dog and track and maintain with rear AF. Figured that out shooting ballet. After that, I quit using the shutter button to focus, doubt I could even do it now. Have a callous on my thumb though. Also, I shoot DNGs, rough edit in ACR and sharpen for output using Pixel Genius ( parts of which are built into Photoshop). Its the whole process.
02-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, probably should have just checked the EXIF. By "rear AF" you mean the dedicated AF button?

If I'm not mistaken the AF in the K-30 is just as good (or if anything better) than the K-5, correct? It's hard to find anything terribly conclusive on that in the forums.

Callous is worth it indeed! Looks great!
02-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #27
Closed Account

By "rear AF" you mean the dedicated AF button?

Callous is worth it indeed! Looks great!
Yep, "AF" and I leave it in Single Point. I focus and recompose a lot shooting portraits where my DoF is very shallow. Stuff that moves, establish focus and track.
02-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #28

Just work on technique and practice with your gear. I was shooting racing with a K100D and a Sigma UC 70-210 f4-5.6 last summer - both not exactly fast to focus. Long focus ring on the lens and slow AF drive of the K100d compared to the K20d. Prefocusing and predicting where the action is going to be is the key here, as is with any other brand of DSLR. Fast AF is good but you still have to know where the action is going to be a couple of seconds before it goes there. This said a K5-II and a faster focusing lens would be a dream but I'm pretty happy with my K10d now. Here are some examples with the combination mentioned above:

02-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I don't have the images posted online at the moment, but I have a series of photos taken at a horse show a couple of years ago that demonstrates that action shots are no problem for Pentax. Horses, after all, move quite a bit faster than humans. Of course, the photographer matters more than the equipment. You can't simply point & click and hope for good results. You have to know what you're shooting, anticipate the action, plan your shots. Takes a little effort, but what worthwhile endeavor doesn't?
02-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I dunno... I've shot baseball games and other action with my K-x & K-100Ds and they performed quite well. But I practiced with it until I developed techniques that worked with the camera. I did have a chance to play with a $2000 Nikon, and yes the AF was superb. But it should have been for what the thing cost.

I'm not going to try to dissuade you from going with another system, I'm just saying I've never had a problem even with my "antique" DSLRs. Of course, I'm a geezer who spent 20 years using all manual 35mm gear before switching to digital, so I'm used to shooting old school.