Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Once again, priorities shift, feel I may have outgrown Pentax :(

Once upon a time, I looked at people who didn't shoot Pentax and thought they were on something. Now I think they're onto something.

When I started shooting, a lot of my shots worked great on my Pentax. Tripod at night, daytime walking around, snowy weather? Grab the K20D!

However, things have started to shift... I have two main needs that have emerged now. First:
Action shots. My nephews are really getting into the age of sports now, and while I can get good shots of them now, I can't help but feel I could get MORE good shots of them with another brand. Maybe I'm crazy but the Pentax lacks the confidence in focus that my sister's new Nikon has. (Keep in mind I have a K20D, not a 30 or 5-II or anything...) It's not even how fast it can spin the lens, it is the confidence and accuracy at which it spins it. You know? I don't care about a billion focus points, I could live with one if I needed to.

Work videos: I want to record videos of using my app, others using my app, etc. I currently have NO video capability in my DSLR so I use my iPhone 5 for any video recording. It does ok. But nothing too special, no zoom, etc. If I bought a new camera today it would either be the K-5 or K30... So now the question is... Why would I?

Full frame doesn't matter, but having these two things suddenly be much more important to me, I can't help but feel my Pentax days are numbered... I love the brand, I love the way they feel, I wish Pentax could just come out with another camera to blow them all away, but I can't wait for that to happen the rest of my life. I hate that I'm even writing these words, but...

Is there another brand (Hoping Nikon) that would suit my needs well? Two BIG necessities are weather sealed and two dials, otherwise I'm pretty open.

02-25-2013, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
mee
Veteran Member

You have an ancient K20D and you're basing that on your opinion of the current Pentax? Does that seem logical to you?

That said, if you want video out of a DSLR then you want to try a Canon. They have very good video features and a 3rd party firmware that opens up a lot of other features. Although I don't think a lot of their bodies are weather sealed...

For images I'd take a K-30 or K-5 though.. Nikon maybe second for images..
02-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I'd hate to call my K20D "ancient" but I do understand your point. I'm more so basing my opinion on current Pentax on all those on here who have them. People call the sensor points "dinner plate sized" and the focus speed "molasses" so it's a bit troubling. If I'm dropping a bunch of money into a system again, I need to know it's right for me, make sense?

I hate the way the Canon bodies look/feel but maybe I'd just need to get used to it...
02-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Of course it makes sense.. it makes even more sense to go to a store and try a K-30 or K-5.. :cP hehe

Or, if you're like me and no one around you knows what is a Pentax, maybe rent one over a weekend from an online rental shop?

I would not base your opinion entirely on these forums.. I've seen a lot of illogical and contradicting comments posted here. And there are always the whiners begging for Full Frame that will dismiss anything short of this with the 'dinner plate' or 'molasses' comments.

02-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've caught birds in flight with my K5, and I've never had the slow focusing problems that people complain about. Of course if you also want video with it I would probably fo the K30, and simply wait until April and see what the K3 will bring.
02-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The k-30 is pretty much the best bang for the buck DSLR with pretty good AF in both phase detect and live-view mode. It also provides for a pretty good video camera, minus the sound (no input mic). It's got good enough AF to keep up with kids.
02-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No mic input would mean any time you want any audio out of the camera you'd basically HAVE to record it separately wouldn't you? I mean the autofocus and such would be quite loud, I would think.

Perhaps I just need to look up more K-30 video samples. It's just hard to find ones that seem relevant to ANY kind of real shooting. At least real shooting that I can relate to.

Edit: Another nice thing about staying Pentax and going with the K-30 would be I could probably find one second hand on here and trust it reasonably well if I didn't want to go straight new.

02-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If possible, play with a high end Canon or Nikon w/ a few goof fast lenses and see if you like them. I like Pentax, and have been using Pentax for many years. But to be honest, as far as AF is concerned, top end Canon and Nikon cameras/lenses are better. I myself are not an action shooter, so I don't really need super fast AF. AF with later Pentax cameras (K5II/K30) are pretty good, but still quite a bit behind those top end C/N offerings especially when mounted w/ some fast AF lenses.
02-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
No mic input would mean any time you want any audio out of the camera you'd basically HAVE to record it separately wouldn't you? I mean the autofocus and such would be quite loud, I would think.

Perhaps I just need to look up more K-30 video samples. It's just hard to find ones that seem relevant to ANY kind of real shooting. At least real shooting that I can relate to.

Edit: Another nice thing about staying Pentax and going with the K-30 would be I could probably find one second hand on here and trust it reasonably well if I didn't want to go straight new.
I wouldn't bother AFing in video. The k-30 doesn't do that anyways. Manual focus is the way to go - faster, smoother, no rack-in-rack-out, etc.

Yes - record it separately if you want good audio. If you don't care, onboard audio is generally fine. My biggest issue with my k-x's onboard audio is wind noise. Recording sound separately isn't that big a deal - it's the combining that's a bit more annoying for most non-technical people.
02-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

My general impression from what I've read on the internet is that Pentax actually gets a greater percentage of shots in focus, but takes a little bit more time getting there.

For me, the only thing that could be improved AF wise on my k-5 is the size of the AF sensors, but that's minor for me.

I've never actually made a movie with my K-5, so I don't really have an opinion on that.
02-25-2013, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I don't quite understand why you think a K-5 or K-5 II (or IIs) won't do what you need.

I don't think you came here looking for reassurance to buy a Nikon or Canon, because you probably know you won't get it....so why did you post?
02-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I don't quite understand why you think a K-5 or K-5 II (or IIs) won't do what you need.
because it won't and the post was a valid one. I can't comment on the AF much, as I don't do a lot of action shots and I only have 2 AF lenses. But the dinner plate sized focus points are a pain, and I've lost a lot of shots because of them.
The video on the K5 is fine, but you get monster sized files because it doesn't use an advanced compression format. So you'll end up spending time having to convert all the files.
If those are your two priorities (action and video), I'd start with the K30 and see if it works for you. The K-5 will work, but with the caveats that have already been mentioned.
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That said, if you want video out of a DSLR then you want to try a Canon. They have very good video features and a 3rd party firmware that opens up a lot of other features. Although I don't think a lot of their bodies are weather sealed...
They absolutely are not. I have a Canon 60D, which I use to shoot pro video. Which it does beautifully. However, the fake leatherette is separating from the grip area, and I haven't used my camera a lot, relatively speaking. two other people i know have the same problem with their 60Ds. These are $1000 cameras, if you pay full retail. The result is that, after heavy separation, the internals could actually be exposed.

I'm very upset about this, but it does reinforce, in my opinion, that Pentax build quality crushes the competition, if you're only willing to spend $1000 on a camera (which I do not think is a cheap price for a camera). My K1000, of course, has held up much better. As have all of my Pentax cameras.
02-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Once upon a time, I looked at people who didn't shoot Pentax and thought they were on something. Now I think they're onto something.

I have two main needs that have emerged now. First:
Action shots. My nephews are really getting into the age of sports now, and while I can get good shots of them now, I can't help but feel I could get MORE good shots of them with another brand.

Work videos: I want to record videos of using my app, others using my app, etc. I currently have NO video capability in my DSLR so I use my iPhone 5 for any video recording. It does ok. But nothing too special, no zoom, etc. If I bought a new camera today it would either be the K-5 or K30... So now the question is... Why would I?

Is there another brand (Hoping Nikon) that would suit my needs well? Two BIG necessities are weather sealed and two dials, otherwise I'm pretty open.
You're right, it's quite impossible to capture real actions shots with a Pentax K-20D, especially with those giant focus points and "slow" SDM lenses.

To add insult to injury, when I photograph ballet, a guy with "Video Cameras" shows up to make, get this, "Videos"! He looks at my K-5s and, major eye roll.

Seriously, check out those very real Ashton Kutcher ads!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
02-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ponosby Britt Quote
You're right, it's quite impossible to capture real actions shots with a Pentax K-20D, especially with those giant focus points and "slow" SDM lenses.

To add insult to injury, when I photograph ballet, a guy with "Video Cameras" shows up to make, get this, "Videos"! He looks at my K-5s and, major eye roll.

Seriously, check out those very real Ashton Kutcher ads!
Your post, and my personal experience of testing the waters by buying a 60D (and noticing that things aren't really any better with Canon, at least unless you spend BIG BUCKS) solidifies my decision in the Pentax system.

Of course a 5D Mark III focuses faster with a 70-200 2.8. That kit will set you back 5 grand or more. Use a 60D with a 50mm f/1.4 and it's no better than a Pentax K-5 in my humble opinion, video notwithstanding.