Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #1

Daylight

Hi,

I use a Pentax K-X DSLr, I am new to this , I wish to know what is the best setting to shoot in full daylight i.e, 12 AM.

I have enclosed the images, but they appear too dark.Kindly help...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
02-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apparently the ISO is fixed to 400, and the shutter time is really short.
Try to use another setting, maybe the Av mode at f8 and set the ISO to AUTO. See what changes.

Then change the mode to another setting and repeat. And repeat.

Seb.
02-27-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What mode did you use (dial mode) ?

In full daylight, you should use a low ISO (eg ISO 100). As pointed by bassek, there is no need to boost the ISO to 400.

The shutter speed appears to be incredibly fast (< 1/1000s). You do not need such a fast speed for this type of photography.

Did you post-process (PP) your shots? In the negative I think that your shots woudl benefit from some light PP.

Last edited by hcc; 02-27-2013 at 08:54 AM.
02-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #4

Are those smudgy spots in all your photos? Your camera may also need a little cleaning.

02-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #5

While many posters will advise you to never use "AUTO", I recommend you do use it occasionally to get a starting point for manual settings. Frame your photo, press the shutter release half way (or take a photo, they don't cost anything) then take note of the settings the camera suggests. In this case, I believe the camera would use the same settings the posters here have advised. Once you have the camera's AUTO settings you can make adjustments based on what final results you are looking for. If you take an AUTO photo you will have a reference point to compare to your manual shots, and you will also have insurance "in the can" in the event your manual adjustments don't work out. And yes, it sure looks like dust/dirt on the sensor.
02-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, apply a little exposure compensation when light objects comprise most of the frame, such as the first image of the concrete wall. Try +0.7 or +1.0 to start.
Learning to read the histogram will help immensely. There are probably many posts about that in this forum.
02-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I recommend you set your ISO to 100, camera in Av mode, set aperture to f8, then adjust from there if needed. (Depending on how close your scene is to an "average" scene you may need to dial ev compensation up or down a 1/3rd of a stop or so). If your scene averages out to a middle gray, your shutter speed should be somewhere around 1/250. But not all scenes average out to middle gray, and your camera's meter expects everything it sees to average out to middle gray. That's why ev compensation may be needed. Eventually, you will learn to "see the light" and will be able to guesstimate in advance whether or not you need to dial in compensation.

Also, there is dust on your sensor.
02-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Any of the semi-auto modes (Av, Tv, P, Auto) will provide the same exposure value based on the camera's meter reading.

If the subject is bright, the camera will try to make it darker. If it is a dark subject, the camera will try to make it lighter.

This is where experience will tell you if you need to adjust the exposure compensation. Also looking at the histogram on the LCD will help. Also turning on the highlight/underexposure "blinkies" if that camera supports it will show overxposed or underexposed areas blinking yellow and red.

The exposures above are underexposed by at least a stop, which tells me the camera setting may be at -1 or something on the EV compesation.

02-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtiaz Quote
I wish to know what is the best setting to shoot in full daylight i.e, 12 AM.
Your photos are the classic "Sunny 16" situation that dates back many decades in photography when people didn't have any form of light meter. What this rule says for full daylight photos is at f/16, your shutter speed is equal to your ISO speed. It isn't always perfect, but it does get you very close. And for cameras with automated exposure meters, it will give you some idea if the scene is fooling your meter.

Starting with f/16 and shutter equals ISO, you can do some simple mental arithmetic using f/stops of exposure to adjust your camera to other values. Increasing the aperture by one stop (f/16 to f/11) you halve your shutter speed or your ISO. For example, starting with f/16 at 1/100sec and ISO-100, change aperture to f/11, shutter to 1/200 staying at ISO-100. (As many cameras don't have 1/200, you round this to the closest available shutter - 1/250). Want to use f/8? No problem, that's another full stop ... f/8 at 1/400 (typically rounded to 1/500) at ISO-100.

Going to your camera setting of ISO-400, that's equivalent to two stops more exposure. So at f/16, the shutter would be (rounded) to 1/500 second. If you then open the aperture two stops to f/8 at ISO-400, you halve your shutter speed twice to 1/1000 .... 1/2000sec.

Compare the "Sunny 16" rule to how your camera actually took the photos and you will understand why they are as dark as they are.

If you pay attention to exposure values, after the first few thousand photos, you will gain an almost intuitive feel for when and by how much you should use exposure compensation. You will be using the "Sunny 16" rule without even really thinking about it.
02-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by imtiaz Quote
I use a Pentax K-X DSLr, I am new to this , I wish to know what is the best setting to shoot in full daylight i.e, 12 AM.
Just a little nitpick, but "12 AM" is midnight. Noon is "12 PM".