Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5 II and IIs sales too early?

A very general question, and since I came into the K-5 world well after the camera was established I wasn't around to observe this for the K-5 or K-7, but it seems like there are a lot of "like new" or "barely used" K-5 II / IIs on this forum, evilbay, and others. Does anyone else think that it's too soon to see this? Did it happen with other Pentax DSLRs this soon?

I bought a new K-5 (original release late 2010?) in early 2012 for under $900, which was a STEAL at the time, and recently bought a K-5IIs with under 200 shutter count plus DBG4 (BNIB) for $1050, which still seems like a steal. What gives?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about getting a good deal on an almost new IIs, but by looking at this and other sites it seems that my recent experience is not all that anecdotal. Is something happening in the Pentax / DSLR world that's causing people to get out of their almost new systems to prepare for the next new thing?

02-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtomlin76 Quote
A very general question, and since I came into the K-5 world well after the camera was established I wasn't around to observe this for the K-5 or K-7, but it seems like there are a lot of "like new" or "barely used" K-5 II / IIs on this forum, evilbay, and others. Does anyone else think that it's too soon to see this? Did it happen with other Pentax DSLRs this soon?

I bought a new K-5 (original release late 2010?) in early 2012 for under $900, which was a STEAL at the time, and recently bought a K-5IIs with under 200 shutter count plus DBG4 (BNIB) for $1050, which still seems like a steal. What gives?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about getting a good deal on an almost new IIs, but by looking at this and other sites it seems that my recent experience is not all that anecdotal. Is something happening in the Pentax / DSLR world that's causing people to get out of their almost new systems to prepare for the next new thing?
Some people have buyer's remorse, or put quite simply spousal remorse!
Honestly though, I have not seen alot of like new or barely used K-5II/II's for sale on the forum.
02-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I also haven't noticed this. Its possible that some people are selling their gear on more than one site. I think some people were a little underwhelmed, because they were expecting a big leap in performance, but the K-5II isn't all that different from the K-5.
02-27-2013, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I have seen a few Nikon D600's for sale. Some people buy because they need better. Some people buy because they need simpler. Some people actually believe buying a new camera (as opposed to learning technique or buying better glass) will improve their photography. The two things you need to know are..

1. no camera is right for everybody
2. not everyone is smart enough to buy the camera that best suits them with their first purchase

Many people are influenced by other people. Some girl they know is a great photographer and has a Nikon and a great body, so he needs to do things to get into her good books.

I live out in the boonies, un-affected by the trash talk of the world. So far we have 5 film bodies, a K-x , a K-01, 2 K-5s and and 2 Optio WPs. We are totally un-affected by the need to sell any of them. I gave the K20D to my sister when I got the second K-5. All somebody selling something means is, someone, somehow got suckered into buying something that wasn't what they need.

Every person is different. I loved my first K-5 so much I bought a second one. I'm sure I'd like a K-5 II even more. That goes against my 4 year plan. Compared to my K20D , I love what my K-5 can do. It's going to take a few years before the glow wears off, based on past experience.

02-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

wtomlin76, you got a better deal than I did! I just won a used IIs on eBay this past Sunday for the body only for $1038 with 130 clicks. I did not see any other options out there at the time. normhead, you are right, "no camera is right for everybody." With out starting an argument here I am disappointed to say I just dropped $1k on dslr that does not have all of what I need. I really wanted an articulating screen and speedy AF for video similar to Panasonic's GH3/GH2. But ultimately I decided on the IIs for it's class leading IQ and low light abilities.

I bought the K10d back when it was new and picked up a used K20d along the way and have been waiting for the ultimate machine, but it's not available yet. So making the upgrade from the K20 to the IIs should be substantial leap from what I have been reading. I have a close friend getting married this summer and I am planning on producing a wedding video as a gift compiling a pan/zoom image slide show with vid clips inter twined and adding interviews with the wedding party mid way through the reception is always fun.

My IIs is supposed to arrive on my door set this Friday, I can't wait!
02-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by primo Quote

My IIs is supposed to arrive on my door set this Friday, I can't wait!
I'd guess that you're going to love the IIs; I love mine. I think there's a noticeable difference between the AF (especially low light) and IQ between the IIs and the K5. I don't have comparison pics, but I know that I've been able to do more when photographing my newborn. I keep a Sigma 2.8 70-200 on the K5 and a Sigma 2.8 24-70 on the IIs and the difference is ridiculous.

As far as being influenced to buy new cameras, lenses, accessories, whatever; I'll tell you that I definitely fall into that category. So far it's resulted in two really good DSLRs, some okay lenses that I've sold, and some really good Sigma DG lenses that I'm holding on to in case there's a Pentax FF that I get suckered into buying in the next couple of years!!!
02-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think there's a noticeable difference between the AF (especially low light) and IQ between the IIs and the K5.
Now that's what I've been waiting to hear.

02-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Now that's what I've been waiting to hear.
Ditto that! To me, it's what matters most when working gigs plus I would say I do more low light photography that with light. I love experimenting with long exposures, night time portraits with bokeh backgrounds, star trails, light orbs and a variety of low light experiments.

Turns out a delivery guy tried to drop off my IIs 2 days early while I was at work, so needless to say my hands will cupped n peering through the front glass of the Post Office door at 8:29am!
02-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #9

I just bought a K5ii for AUD 859 (USD 882) brand new. So they are obviously going pretty cheap wholesale now, too.

If you consider the sensor, even though it still compares very favourably to its competitors, is over 2 years old... with the pace these things move, it might not be long before it's significantly outclassed. My guess is that's what market sentiment would be, which would explain a) why they are going secondhand now b) why they are cheap new now c) why I bought one when normally I buy yesterday's papers for better value and, one would surely think, d) why something Pentax put out at the $1500+ level ought to be on its way at some point.

On top of that... a lot of flighty people seem to be flocking towards full-frame options at the moment.
02-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #10

The only thing I am seeing is a progressive difference in price between a brand new II and a brand new IIs. Has the IQ improved at all from the K5 to the II? I have seen the comparisons between the II and IIs and it's what sold me! I will be perfectly content for some time knowing it will take a $2-3k FF to overcome the IQ of my IIs A FF doesn't seem worth it as I have no interest in making larger prints.
02-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #11

K5II is an AF fix for the K-5 pretty much it hence it's rather low price (not a bad thing in that regard)
What comes next who knows
02-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

competition

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have seen a few Nikon D600's for sale. Some people buy because they need better. Some people buy because they need simpler. Some people actually believe buying a new camera (as opposed to learning technique or buying better glass) will improve their photography.
Echoing what you said, other manufacturer's cameras can have problems too. Some people probably don't like the sensor-dust problem of the D600, so they dump it. Others don't like the small size of the Olympus D-M5, so they sell it.

And, Anything electronic will go down in value somewhat quickly depending on the competition in that market space, which is a whole nuther topic. The space occupied by the K-5 is very crowded now.

02-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I'd guess that you're going to love the IIs; I love mine. I think there's a noticeable difference between the AF (especially low light) [...] between the IIs and the K5.
I think there is a noticeable difference between the day and night
I would go for a K-5 IIs right now, just for that, except that I can't trust myself to not want the next high-end model (whatever it will be).
02-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Newbie here. Just received my iis today so I'm counting the minutes til I get to go home. Upgraded from a k20d. Hi, all!
02-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm running a K20D myself, really is quite dated, but since I don't use the AF (hate AF) its mostly irrelevant differences.
Because I have no interest in AF I plan to pick up a used original K5 after the next body comes out since the prices will likely fall even further and none of the improvements on the K5 replacements are relevant to me.
Unless of course a FF comes out, then I will buy that at any cost just to shift my current lenses FOV back into the correct range.

I think people have bought many things lately that they can't afford and are having to dump them, many photographers have suddenly found themselves quite in need of cash and the economy still sucks for most.