Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Autofocus advice

Hi there, I have a K200d and have never fully understood the 'Auto' focal point setting.

Last night it was explained to me to mean that if I'm shooting a moving subject with AFS selected, the object will stay in focus as long as one of the focal points covers the subject, is this correct?

The person who told me was only familiar with Canikon so it may not be correct with Pentax.

Thanks.

Tuggie76

02-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you ever read the camera manual?
02-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Have you ever read the camera manual?
I have, but it didn't seem to clear the situation up.
02-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

OK...I have k20D...it has 3 options - MF, AF.S (still, I assume) and AF.C (continuous)...
AF.S for still objects, the AF.C for the moving ones...

Just have read K200D manual...your camera does not have AF.C...meaning the autofocus system is not adjusting automaticaly...in order to have the moving object in focus you have to turn on AF.S and press half way the shutter, if you hear the beep and see a red square in view finder - you got focus, of course if you want to get the object focused again you have to do everything from the beginning...
AF.C option would allow you to press the shutter half way and just folow the object, and camera would autofocus automatically.

02-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
OK...I have k20D...it has 3 options - MF, AF.S (still, I assume) and AF.C (continuous)...
AF.S for still objects, the AF.C for the moving ones...

Just have read K200D manual...your camera does not have AF.C...meaning the autofocus system is not adjusting automaticaly...in order to have the moving object in focus you have to turn on AF.S and press half way the shutter, if you hear the beep and see a red square in view finder - you got focus, of course if you want to get the object focused again you have to do everything from the beginning...
AF.C option would allow you to press the shutter half way and just folow the object, and camera would autofocus automatically.
I do have AF-C, my question is about the multi-segments on 'Auto' in the 'Select AF Point' section.
02-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #6

k200 does not track. Auto AF point just selects the 'closest' AF point to focus to. It can help and it can hinder. You might be wanting to focus on the mountain in the distance and it sees a bush on the side that it selects. Conversely if you select only 1 point, it maay be between the 2 people you want to focus on, but you get a mountain in focus and 2 out of focus daughters in the picture (both examples done by me with my K200!). You have auto, selected and centre focus point. I use all 3 depending on the scene. But no tracking.
02-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
k200 does not track. Auto AF point just selects the 'closest' AF point to focus to. It can help and it can hinder. You might be wanting to focus on the mountain in the distance and it sees a bush on the side that it selects. Conversely if you select only 1 point, it maay be between the 2 people you want to focus on, but you get a mountain in focus and 2 out of focus daughters in the picture (both examples done by me with my K200!). You have auto, selected and centre focus point. I use all 3 depending on the scene. But no tracking.
O/k, thanks Timd