Sometimes: as in every month or two 5122.27%
Regularly: as in few times a week or month 4820.96%
Daily 62.62%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #31
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i am genuinely surprised by the current result of this pole!

it seems people are not using their SLR cameras to the full advantage!

you have been blessed with a larger sensor and high noise control to allow you to take naturaly lit pictures in dim lighting conditions

you have also been blessed as a pentax user with shake reduction to further increase your ability to take dim light pictures

but you opt out of using these features! What a shame really.

Aint I cool enough for you then?

02-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #32
Not Registered

Nice poll. It looks like most of the people have different standards for shooting and for discussing about camera specs. Although I would include a poll where people could tell if they would use ISO 1600 if it were as clean as ISO 400.
02-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Aint I cool enough for you then?

i dont know.. are you?

the point is, that was brought up in the first post, that everyone is picking up on the ISO thing and new sensor and new body etc etc.

i'm jumping with excitement for the new CMOS sensor because it rocks! but the low ISO didnt matter to me, why? because we already have great cameras for bright daylight conditions.

its the low light conditions where digital technology is advancing over film...

but then, i keep seeing people "wanting fast glass" and "best quality" and "best body" when in reality people dont even shoot in demanding conditions...

if your photos are F4 and up, in broad daylight, all you really need is an *Ist and a kit lens, go nuts!

i have already shown how a 5 dollar lens can easely keep up with with a 400 dollar lens in terms of image creation.

it sad that Pentax is creating this wonderful technology and people are not taking advantage of it, but at the same time are creating a fuss and discussing the new bodies pro's and cons over and over again.
02-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Exposure plot is a good little tool for analysis of your shooting habits, just point it at the relevant file directory and it will show you FL, ISO, aperture and shutter speed stats in graph form:

vAndel.nl - The Wega2 site

Looking at my most recent shots, just under 8% were made at ISO1600 or above:

What a neat little program! For awhile I'll be addicted to clicking on directories with ExposurePlot to see what I've been using. I did see ASA 1600 pop up occasionally and I would have bet it would not be there.

At first the focal lengths seemed odd until I noticed:
The 1.5x option made my DA 50-200 look like 300mm.
The odd little values were my Fuji S5200 mixed in with the Pentax K100D.

It appears not to support PEF files.

02-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #35
Not Registered

i dont know.. are you?

the point is, that was brought up in the first post, that everyone is picking up on the ISO thing and new sensor and new body etc etc.

i'm jumping with excitement for the new CMOS sensor because it rocks! but the low ISO didnt matter to me, why? because we already have great cameras for bright daylight conditions.

but then, i keep seeing people "wanting fast glass" and "best quality" and "best body" when in reality people dont even shoot in demanding conditions...

if your photos are F4 and up, in broad daylight, all you really need is an *Ist and a kit lens, go nuts!

i have already shown how a 5 dollar lens can easely keep up with with a 400 dollar lens in terms of image creation.

it sad that Pentax is creating this wonderful technology and people are not taking advantage of it, but at the same time are creating a fuss and discussing the new bodies pro's and cons over and over again.
No, I am no cool. I am more on the dull side

I understand your needs and happiness but consider that it is more to a fast lens than having fast shutter speeds. There is something call depth of field, and there is also something called out of focus blur (bokeh for friends) that are highly dependent in large apertures. There is also something called dynamic range that seems to not be a good friend of high ISOs but that can live with fast lenses. Not to mention that there are also flashes that can workout just fine if you know how to use them. But I do agree with you, for clubbing photography there is nothing like a D3, I mean 1d, I mean 5D, I mean D300, I mean K20d.
02-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
It appears not to support PEF files.
I don't know, I always batch create a low res thumbnail file for every RAW so I just pointed it at those.
02-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice poll. It looks like most of the people have different standards for shooting and for discussing about camera specs. Although I would include a poll where people could tell if they would use ISO 1600 if it were as clean as ISO 400.
I think the term is measurbating.

I also think that the people who use high ISO, myself included, also understand the limitations and accept the output.

I will say this again, any one who has pushed 400 ISO B&W film to 3200, or 400 ISO Ektachrome to 1600 knows full well that the image quality we get today is far superior to what we had on film, and while we will always ask for more, that does not stop using what is quite acceptable by todays standards.

Perhaps 10 years from now, when I am normally using my LX1D with ISO 32,000,000 , I will pick up the K10D (assuming I still have it) and say, I can't use this any more the image quality is terrible. I don't think anyone can really truely say that today

02-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #38
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Perhaps 10 years from now, when I am normally using my LX1D with ISO 32,000,000 ,
I am scared to death on that moment... whom will I blame when I wont be able to do nice pictures?
02-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #39
Veteran Member

i dont know.. are you?

I agree with most of that. A lot of the time I can make do with the kit 18-55mm at f/8 (or the Sigma 70-300mm at f/8), but when I'm photographing people indoors it's a different world. All of a sudden the difference between f/2.8 and f/2 is HUGE, and great IQ at ISO 1000-1600 becomes highly desirable. No, I can't "just use flash" (this isn't directed at you, Gooshin).

I see people out there shooting the expensive FA Ltd lenses who never use them below f/4 or f/5.6 (check the EXIFs on pbase); why waste over $600 for that? I suppose these might be the same people demanding great high-ISO performance while never having shot above ISO 200, dunno. I'm dying to get my hands on a 24mm f/2 because an f/2.8 isn't fast enough; maybe the K20D's alleged better high-ISO performance would negate this necessity.

But yeah, we shouldn't make a fus over what we don't use or don't need.
02-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Shooting rugby at the end of wet winter's day with my istDs I was glad of ISO3200. Got the shots (one of them is my favourite). When it's the difference between getting a noisy shot or not getting it at all, I'll choose getting it (but blurry shots - well that's another debate! )
02-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am scared to death on that moment... whom will I blame when I wont be able to do nice pictures?
The same person you blame now if you are honest, you know him well, he is the one immediately behind the viewfinder.
02-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #42
Not Registered

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
02-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #43
Veteran Member

very interesting...

This thread is very interesting... Lots of good information..

But I guess what I wonder is there a best practices method anymore???

For instance at one point each ISO level has special thing it did well.. 200 basic picture.. 400 for outdoors and 800 for motion based pictures.. Is there a scale out there the could help a person decide which to use in different circumstances ??

Or perhaps it is just yet another reason to get off my butt and play with the settings on my camera to see which works the best..

Kim
02-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
This thread is very interesting... Lots of good information..

But I guess what I wonder is there a best practices method anymore???

For instance at one point each ISO level has special thing it did well.. 200 basic picture.. 400 for outdoors and 800 for motion based pictures.. Is there a scale out there the could help a person decide which to use in different circumstances ??

Or perhaps it is just yet another reason to get off my butt and play with the settings on my camera to see which works the best..
I don't think it's really that formulaic, I tend to shoot the lowest ISO that will let me make a decent shot in the circumstances. I might use a low ISO at night if I have access to a tripod or some other support but I'm just as likely to use a high ISO in bright daylight if I'm shooting macros in available light hand held. Like others have said, I'd rather a grainy shot than none at all and sometimes SR is no substitute for high ISO. It really heavily depends what you're out to acheive.

Cheers,
02-29-2008, 01:21 AM   #45
Inactive Account

i am genuinely surprised by the current result of this pole!

it seems people are not using their SLR cameras to the full advantage!

you have been blessed with a larger sensor and high noise control to allow you to take naturaly lit pictures in dim lighting conditions

you have also been blessed as a pentax user with shake reduction to further increase your ability to take dim light pictures

but you opt out of using these features! What a shame really.

I never looked at it like that. I guess, being fairly new to photography but always knowing what I liked for shots, I almost always shoot 100-200 because I'm a born pixel peeper. Coming from disappointments with various P&S cams over the years, I finally researched and invested in a K10 and the 31 ltd and love the quality of the images, but I still zoom in and cringe at visible noise or scrunch my face at unintended blur (almost always = a delete). I spend a lot of energy making shots as clean as possible, but the irony is I then reduce it to a jpeg and stick it on the net where it loses everything I fought to instill in it to begin with. I think you're right here though. My gut feeling has been that the extreme ends of the ISO were more to say 'we can do that' more so than actually doing that because its ugly. With the progression to 3200 on the K20, I figured I might actually venture out as far as 800 useably now (to my liking of course). But again, I think on this perspective you've put forth, I might try and get a little dirtier noise wise and worry more about the shot instead of the peep afterwards... if I can pry my face off the back screen @ 20x zoom. It'll be tough, but I agree with you in principle here.