Rarely: as in few times a year 12454.15%
Sometimes: as in every month or two 5122.27%
Regularly: as in few times a week or month 4820.96%
Daily 62.62%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2008, 03:01 AM   #46

Photos: Albums
How much time is lost NOT taking photographs by reading these threads, yes that includes me.

For my contribution is should just like to refer back to the days of shooting film and pushing the ISO. Normally one would have to expose the whole film at the same ISO because of processing, however with digital as we all know we can be selective by frame. That can only be good.

Yes photography sometimes requires that we push our skills and equipment to the limit, becauuse of environmental demands or because of artistic interpretation. Which ever we should be doing it nowing the result we want.

What if we have cameras that can give us very high ISO's and NO grain, and we then want grain for our artistic interpretation. Photshop it I can hear you say.

I would rather try to get as near a finished exposure in the camera as I want and therefore will use the ISO I need for the set of photographs I am exposing.

Last edited by geosantgeo; 02-29-2008 at 03:02 AM. Reason: spelling
02-29-2008, 04:15 AM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
For instance at one point each ISO level has special thing it did well.. 200 basic picture.. 400 for outdoors and 800 for motion based pictures.. Is there a scale out there the could help a person decide which to use in different circumstances ??

Or perhaps it is just yet another reason to get off my butt and play with the settings on my camera to see which works the best..

Kim
In the past, that guide was useful to beginners who hadn't yet learned what they liked (who perhaps needed to "get off [their] butt and play"), but was especially useful because ISO could not be changed from shot to shot. Once a roll was loaded, you were shooting at 800 ISO for 36 exposures.

Now, you can change ISO every shot, and you can preview the results before moving on. Finally, if you have a newer Pentax DSLR, you can set the dial to TAv, set your shutter speed and iris where you want them, and let the camera find the right ISO. There's an option to set limits that the camera won't automatically pass, in case you're worried about a certain high ISO. That way, you don't need to think about ISO at all, and can just worry about the more concrete factors of shutter and iris.

Will
02-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #48

"it sad that Pentax is creating this wonderful technology and people are not taking advantage of it"

...because we all don't want/need it on a regular basis. I use high ISO when it's necessary, but after the past year of experimenting/learning about proper flash techniques, I'd prefer many of my event/portrait photos be taken at ISO 100-200 with a bounced/diffused flash.

For most of my non-people shots I usually reach for the tripod before I reach for the ISO menu.

I take high-ISO shots when I need to, and a couple turned out to be favorites, but high-ISO quality is just not a priority for me when camera shopping.

As always, we all have different tastes and needs.
02-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #49

[QUOTE=Lowell Goudge;185626]
2004 15.4% at 1600 and above
2005 17.7% at 1600 and above
2006 17.2% at 1600 and above
2007 28.2% at 1600 and above
QUOTE]

how do people find these statistics?

02-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[QUOTE=Tingchaleun;186755]
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
2004 15.4% at 1600 and above
2005 17.7% at 1600 and above
2006 17.2% at 1600 and above
2007 28.2% at 1600 and above
QUOTE]

how do people find these statistics?
I file my photos by date, with folders for year then month then event.

I used a program called ExposurePlot. It can go through the EXIF data in all the photos and give the percentage of photos shot, with ISO, shutter speed, focal length and other statistics.
02-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't know about you, but I find the poll results to date more than just a little interesting.....but I am not sure what they actually mean (beyond the obvious).

Gooshin raises a pertinent point for example, are we under utilising our cameras?.....probably so; or is it something more like along the lines of what wildboar says, we know what we want to do and are happy doing "it", not necessarliy looking, or seeing the need, to extend ourselves any further?

In some ways its a bit like our cars and our age (this probably only applies to the males here, my daughter excluded), when we were young we were keen to test the limits of the speedo....because it was there....those of us that survived that experimentation eventually were happy to settle with a more sedate pace (often called the 'speed limit') as we got older/wiser (sorry, but the two are connected). But does that we mean we are now under utilising our cars?

Or is ISO something that many of us simply do not understand how to utilise and therefore never go there?

I wonder if we have any University or Tech College lecturers here that can make anything out of this poll? If so please do.

Please do not take this any other way than a conversation on the poll results, I'm not driving at anything here and all opinions welcomed and respected.
Cheers
Grant
03-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good points..

QuoteOriginally posted by wiyum Quote
Finally, if you have a newer Pentax DSLR, you can set the dial to TAv, set your shutter speed and iris where you want them, and let the camera find the right ISO. There's an option to set limits that the camera won't automatically pass, in case you're worried about a certain high ISO. That way, you don't need to think about ISO at all, and can just worry about the more concrete factors of shutter and iris. Will
Thanks Will for the tip!!! I will have to try that and see what happens.. But another question comes to mind about your comment.. Why would I need to worry about a high ISO ?? Will it cause blown out pics??? Or is that dumb question....

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
In some ways its a bit like our cars and our age (this probably only applies to the males here, my daughter excluded), when we were young we were keen to test the limits of the speedo....because it was there....those of us that survived that experimentation eventually were happy to settle with a more sedate pace (often called the 'speed limit') as we got older/wiser (sorry, but the two are connected). But does that we mean we are now under utilising our cars?
LOL.. I don't think we are under utilizing our cars but perhaps we are not giving our cameras the workout they need. Plus it is safer to more of an "adrenaline junky" with a camera then it is it with a car?? LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Or is ISO something that many of us simply do not understand how to utilise and therefore never go there?
That is a good question Grant.. I am thinking that maybe ISO is something that is taken for granted thus many dont even think about going there... I know I personally dont think about unless I am at a ball game with fast action and poor lighting...

Kim
03-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #53
Inactive Account

Today, I finally got my hands on K 20D with DA*200/2.8. I regularly use iso 1250 and iso 1600 on my K 10D, so I was curious to see how new cmos relates.
Well, I'm impressed, here's one example with K 20D:

Exif is as follows: K 20D, DA*200/2.8, Iso 3200, f/2.8, 1/80 s, and should be visible.

03-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I hate flashes with an irrational passion, so before I had any fast lenses, I was shooting mostly at 1600 or 3200. Now I'm usually at ISO 800 and f/1.8 or so. And that's with shutter speeds of 1/15, maybe 1/30.
I'm with you. I don't like flashes going off in my eyes, so I just assume others don't like it either. Hence, my interest in low-light, flashless photography. Thanks goodness for Neat Image and other software packages that accomplish the same thing.
03-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
I'm with you. I don't like flashes going off in my eyes, so I just assume others don't like it either. Hence, my interest in low-light, flashless photography. Thanks goodness for Neat Image and other software packages that accomplish the same thing.

on the other hand, proper flash usage is about achieving a picture where the usage of a flash is not evident (bounce/defusers etc)
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I voted: 'Sometimes', but i don't care too much about noise levels. I shoot ISO 1600 (or up) when I need it... Back in the film days you were stuck with one ISO level, and you had to deal with it...