Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #16

While I agree (though a few months ago I was on the 'omg k5ii is the suck I want ff now!' bandwagon), I think for some, myself included, the Pentax FF question is not so much about a desire for a full frame camera, but for Pentax to move forward with technology. Full frame seems where it's going, technology wise. Just like DSLRs went from insanely expensive to kinda-affordable to commonplace, where for under $1000 you can get an amazing DSLR and lens, I expect that FF will go from the 'kinda-affordable' zone where it is now to commonplace.

Pentax not going in this direction worries me in the 'how dedicated are they to moving forward with DSLRs' respect.

02-28-2013, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
...there is "something" about the experience of using smaller/lighter Pentax bodies and Pentax primes that I really enjoy.
I just returned from a walk with my Super Program. I own a perfectly good K-5. They're both great cameras. I suppose we're in the same niche of people who enjoy photography more because of how thoroughly considered and well designed Pentax gear is...even when that doesn't directly impact the final image.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
With any lens designed to be used with film, purple fringing can be an issue.
Purple fringing is usually caused, to the best of my understanding, by reflections from the sensor, which are then reflected back to the sensor and are captured as if they were part of the original image. This is because the sensor assembly is more reflective than film. I would hazard a guess that red and blue (i.e., purple) are reflected while green is not because most lens coatings are designed to transmit (i.e., not reflect) the color which dominates human visual sensitivity (i.e., green). Lenses designed for digital sensors are designed with coatings that minimize this reflection.

Having used dozens of lenses, mostly designed in the film era and many before SMC technology, the worst purple fringing I've ever seen has been on my DA*16-50.

That said, other chromatic aberrations are caused by lens designers allowing some leeway as to colors focusing on different planes. Because film emulsions are thicker than the digital sensor's depth of sensitivity, a lens that focuses higher energy light (blues) behind lower energy light (reds) would not have a visual effect on film but would cause misalignment toward the edges of a digital sensor. Of course, this aberration is among the easiest to fix in post, and so causes me minimal concern when considering a lens purchase.
02-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arcterex Quote
While I agree (though a few months ago I was on the 'omg k5ii is the suck I want ff now!' bandwagon), I think for some, myself included, the Pentax FF question is not so much about a desire for a full frame camera, but for Pentax to move forward with technology. Full frame seems where it's going, technology wise. Just like DSLRs went from insanely expensive to kinda-affordable to commonplace, where for under $1000 you can get an amazing DSLR and lens, I expect that FF will go from the 'kinda-affordable' zone where it is now to commonplace.

Pentax not going in this direction worries me in the 'how dedicated are they to moving forward with DSLRs' respect.
Although I agree FF is being pushed pretty heavily right now and is cheaper than ever because: A) the cost of FF sensor fabrication has come down to more affordable levels and, B) camera manufacturers are looking for ways to rekindle significantly higher DSLR sales, I don't think APS-C and smaller sensors are going anywhere ... even in the pro market.

Canon is rumored to be announcing a 70D soon (APS-C with higher specs, better build quality and better image quality than the 60D or 7D) and Nikon made a fuss with the press recently that the new D7100 is NOT the replacement for the D300s aging and that there will be a new "pro-grade" APS-C coming that fits between the D7100 and the D600.

In terms of smaller cameras, I know quite a few working photographers (myself included) who have been using the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and the new Panasonic GH3 is gaining some attention among working photographers as well.

Crop sensor technology is getting better all the time ... just like FF sensor technology.

I'm not saying I'll be horribly upset if Pentax makes a FF camera ... heck if they do I "might" buy it ... but I'm also not going to lose any sleep if Pentax sticks to using quality APS-C sensors.
02-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
DXO ISO Ratings

D3s -> 3253
D600 -> 2980
D800 -> 2979
K5IIs -> 1208

The K5 is way out of it's league when comparing ISO to these FF bodies, not even close - ISO ='s Speed. A D800 sensor would have handled the above with relative ease and would have produced near perfect noise'less solid image files with near perfect detail (thanks to it's FF sensor) - oh ya, the extra DOF helps also for better subject isolation. Yep, few people actually need FF.

In short, if you need a FF body, then get it - if you don't need a FF body and can get the job done with a cropped sensor, then get a cropped sensor.

I hope that Pentax does come out with a FF body one day so we can start seeing the sentiment change towards FF on the forums here, the threads will quickly become "Why You Need A Pentax FF"...
No argument with that last point, but it's interesting to compare the DXO sensor low-light/sports ratings. The advantage of the listed FF bodies surely lies here with their sensor technology, not their sensor size. Unhappily, DXO hasn't given a rating for the D7100 yet, but it will be interesting to see how it comes up to the larger-sensor bodies when they do. The encouraging thing is that Pentax clearly squeezed a little better performance for the K-5 out of the same sensor as the D7000. Hopefully, we'll get an indication soon.

02-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
Because after a couple of months of shooting cameras with both full frame and APS-C sensors I found that in both online galleries and in prints up to 24 x 36 inches (the largest I ever print) I absolutely CANNOT see the difference in images shot with a full-frame sensor and an APS-C sensor.
That is true. There is very little difference between formats with today's great sensor technology, as this comparison also shows.

But there are other considerations than image quality. Availability of FF lenses still drives the interest in this format, as kerrowdown also pointed out:

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
This is the bit that says it all for me.

All my lenses are FF compliant, therefore; I for one will welcome the day a Pentax FF arrives, but I also appreciate it's not for everyone.
The only reason I have any interest in FF is because of all the FF lenses I have. If they were APS-C or MF instead, my interest would have been for those formats.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
With any lens designed to be used with film, purple fringing can be an issue.
True, but if you were happy using some FF lenses on APS-C, then you won't get a worse experience when using them on FF. The FA31 is an excellent lens on APS-C and I doubt it would be any worse on FF - on the contrary.

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
Purple fringing is usually caused, to the best of my understanding, by reflections from the sensor, which are then reflected back to the sensor and are captured as if they were part of the original image. <snip> Lenses designed for digital sensors are designed with coatings that minimize this reflection.
Interestingly, none of the Russian lenses I have (most are based on Zeiss designs, some are Russian optical formulas) suffer from PF on APS-C. It seems to me that PF was more of a characteristic of Japanese lens designs.
03-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All my ten lenses are FF capable. The only reason for getting a FF camera is that the angle would be a little more wide, I only have the Sigma 15-30 on the wide end.

Seb.
03-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #22
Banned

While I would welcome FF from Pentax, as a fast 35 is conspicuously absent in "the most complete lens lineup", I have to agree with the OP. I'm routinely shooting alongside friendly Canon and Nikon FF pro shooters and we sit and chat during shows. We also see the differences in outcomes. The difference is minimal.

However, the only difference I really do see is that they aren't wrestling with AF in the dark

03-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

For me, i'd want a FF due to more flexibility/option in many aspects of my photographic decision.
Just as like comparing my iPhone camera -> PnS -> Sanyo Xacti -> Kr -> *moving on..*

Whoever can deny that there's always an improvement in every tier?

That's all..