Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #16

Also, FYI, you can find that Panasonic 14mm 2.5 lens very cheap on ebay.
New Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2 5 F 2 5 ASPH Lens Fixed Focus Lens Silver Color 0885170023529 | eBay

03-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The panasonic 14 is also on my shortlist of possible m4/3 lenses if I go that route.
03-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
Forum Member

I am thinking of Nex-6

maybe not compact enough ...
03-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
The panasonic 14 is also on my shortlist of possible m4/3 lenses if I go that route.
The thing is that with the Panny 14, you are better off with the kit zoom.
Its said to be on par in sharpness.
Then only advantage of the 14 is the f2.5, but the zoom is a zoom.

03-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The thing is that with the Panny 14, you are better off with the kit zoom. Its said to be on par in sharpness. Then only advantage of the 14 is the f2.5, but the zoom is a zoom.
That's not the only advantage. The real advantage of the 14 is it's size. And while it may not be the sharpest prime out there, it's still pretty sharp.
03-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The thing is that with the Panny 14, you are better off with the kit zoom.
Its said to be on par in sharpness.
Then only advantage of the 14 is the f2.5, but the zoom is a zoom.
I read an article (by Ctein over on TOP) comparing the optical qualities of various m4/3 primes to zooms, and the conclusion was that in most cases the zooms matched the primes in optical quality (one notable exception at the time was the m.zuiko 45/1.8, which was much better in every respect than the zooms he tested at comparable FLs).

So I agree, there is no real IQ advantage to the Panny 14, but as Zdwagner points out - it's tiny. An e-pl5 with the 14 mounted is easily (jacket) pocketable.

As I read through all of your suggestions and comments, I am beginning to realize that a real deal-breaker for me is the absence of a VF (or the option to attach an external VF). This is ultimately the K-01's biggest flaw for me. Boxy though it is, the K-01 is really comparable in size to the X20 and X100s, (depending on lens attached), so I could probably get over the design... but not the absent VF.
03-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #22

I loved using the VF-2 on my XZ-1. I thought it was a great viewfinder, and the best thing about it was the ability to tilt. However, in a camera-with-tilt-screen situation, I no longer feel the vf is necessary, but that's me. Lots of people swear by them.
03-02-2013, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zdwagner Quote
I loved using the VF-2 on my XZ-1. I thought it was a great viewfinder, and the best thing about it was the ability to tilt. However, in a camera-with-tilt-screen situation, I no longer feel the vf is necessary, but that's me. Lots of people swear by them.
Maybe it's just my own deficiencies but I never was able to compose photos as well on the LCD as I can with a VF. This is not a level issue, either, as I have a level indicator on the LCD.

03-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zdwagner Quote
No focus peaking on the Oly's yet, unfortunately. You can fake it one of the art modes on the Oly E-M5 (can't remember which one), but no real focus peaking yet. Honestly I think the fixed lens compact is a great idea. But being a former owner of m4/3 equipment, I can also say that with a small prime, they can be stellar cameras as far as IQ and size are concerned. I would suggest giving a Panasonic GX1 a look, with maybe a Pansonic 14mm 2.5 lens. That combo is so small you almost won't believe it, and the IQ will be amazing for the size. The 14mm 2.5 is insanely small and a very good lens, and the GX1 is excellent (and still 16mp). The other nice thing about m4/3 is that when you get bored you can always buy another lens... not so much with a compact camera.
But if you're looking for portability, you're simply not going to beat something like an LX7 or MX-1 or XZ-2 (hell if you can find a used or new XZ-1 at this point, it'd probably be a steal, and that's a great camera, with a really great lens).
Panny's IS is in the lens... Oly's is in the body like pentax... So when you want to attach some old Pentax glass you are good to go with in-body stabilization.. my 2cents!

But i do like the MX-1...
03-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
cpk
Site Supporter

I have both the K-5 and K-7. With a small DA prime they make excellent street cameras and are relatively light. I still find them heavy though if I carry them around (one at a time) and not use them. It feels like a waste. My solution for a flexible light carry-around camera is the Samsung NX11 which I bought when it was on sale. It has the same DSLR form with an EVF which is a necessity for me. It will also take Pentax lenses with an adapter (manual focus and manual stop down). It's light enough and small that I can carry it around and not notice the weight or size. It also has a focus bar when manually focusing (not focus peaking) which its predecessor the NX10 did not have. The new NX20 is better in several respects, but a second-hand NX11 should be fairly inexpensive.
03-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I looked at Samsung a while back... I may have to look again.
03-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I have a k-7, and decided to grab the k-01 somewhat on a whim, basically because of the price with the 40xs. Bad move, because now I really want all of the limiteds. I think it's great for street candids and landscapes, where composing on the lcd is preferable (to me)anyway. If I had to go back, though, I maybe should have gone with the Q or the E-pl5. The oly especially seems like a nice middle ground between IQ and portability. Actually the OMD is kind of making me want to jump ship altogether to m43. Since you want a VF, the OMD seems like a great choice if you have the ducats.
If I was a pro, however, all this would be irrelevant and I would just use a couple k-5s and sleep well at night.
03-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I have a k-7, and decided to grab the k-01 somewhat on a whim, basically because of the price with the 40xs. Bad move, because now I really want all of the limiteds. I think it's great for street candids and landscapes, where composing on the lcd is preferable (to me)anyway. If I had to go back, though, I maybe should have gone with the Q or the E-pl5. The oly especially seems like a nice middle ground between IQ and portability. Actually the OMD is kind of making me want to jump ship altogether to m43. Since you want a VF, the OMD seems like a great choice if you have the ducats.
If I was a pro, however, all this would be irrelevant and I would just use a couple k-5s and sleep well at night.
If money were no object, then the answer would probably be `all of the above': a second body for my pentax glass, a small m4/3 kit and an x100s. All are appealing in different ways. Maybe I should invest a dollar or two in lottery tickets...
03-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
If money were no object, then the answer would probably be `all of the above': a second body for my pentax glass, a small m4/3 kit and an x100s. All are appealing in different ways. Maybe I should invest a dollar or two in lottery tickets...
Have You Considered a Sony RX l00? Lots of advantages including excellent IQ.
03-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have considered the rx100, and I even recommended it to a friend (who bought it on my recommendation and reports loving it)... It just doesn't appeal to me, in large part due to the absence of a VF option.