Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Second body, advanced compact or m43?

I have been a very happy Pentax K5 owner for more than a year now, and I am trying to decide between the following three expansions of my gear:

1. Second body - K30 (cheaper) or K5IIs (step up in IQ) - with a wide prime or two.

2. Advanced compact (most likely Fuji x20 or x100s)

3. M43 body with a lens or two (e.g, e-pl5 with m.zuiko 17/1.8 and m.zuiko 45/1.8)

The second two options would give me a `smaller-package' option when I don't want to carry a DSLR, and also a two-camera option that would mean less lens changing, when I am out with the express intention of making photographs.

The first option would just take care of the two-camera thing.

I've been going back and forth on this for a while now, and I would greatly appreciate input from anyone who has gone through this process.

Thanks,

Y

03-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour,

Why not a Q or Q10 on which you could use your Pentax and other K-mount glass, obviously with an adapter ... and secondly, why not a K-01, because the prices are great on this now discontinued body ...

Salut, John le Frog
03-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I have been a very happy Pentax K5 owner for more than a year now, and I am trying to decide between the following three expansions of my gear:

1. Second body - K30 (cheaper) or K5IIs (step up in IQ) - with a wide prime or two.

2. Advanced compact (most likely Fuji x20 or x100s)

3. M43 body with a lens or two (e.g, e-pl5 with m.zuiko 17/1.8 and m.zuiko 45/1.8)

The second two options would give me a `smaller-package' option when I don't want to carry a DSLR, and also a two-camera option that would mean less lens changing, when I am out with the express intention of making photographs.

The first option would just take care of the two-camera thing.

I've been going back and forth on this for a while now, and I would greatly appreciate input from anyone who has gone through this process.

Thanks,

Y
The X-20 looks really good to me at the moment. For a second camera I'd recommend something without an interchangeable lens. I'd recommend the MX-1, but personally I think the X-20 is better with its OVF and larger sensor. For a backup camera I'd stay away from interchangeable lens cameras (unless you're getting a DSLR) as they a bit more inconvenient in the field (can't always just point and shoot, may have to switch lenses, then point and shoot!)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought about both the Q/Q10 and the K-01 for quite a while... But in the end, neither one really appeals to me (for different, purely subjective reasons).

Merci,

Yonatan

03-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The X-20 looks really good to me at the moment. For a second camera I'd recommend something without an interchangeable lens. I'd recommend the MX-1, but personally I think the X-20 is better with its OVF and larger sensor. For a backup camera I'd stay away from interchangeable lens cameras (unless you're getting a DSLR) as they a bit more inconvenient in the field (can't always just point and shoot, may have to switch lenses, then point and shoot!)
I thought about the MX-1, but I would probably go with the XZ-2 first (touch/tilty screen), though ultimately I prefer the (slightly) larger sensor and ovf on
the x20 (as you pointed out). If I went the m43 route, I would probably stick with just one lens for a while (m.zuiko 17/1.8 or panasonic 20/1.7) and think of it as a slightly cheaper x100s (with an expandability option).

There is a 4th option that I didn't mention above - the hoped-for full frame (K3?), which would double the usefulness of my current (F, FA) lenses, (and make the purchase of a 31 limited inevitable). I like to dream...

Yonatan
03-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

m43 bodies can be had for real cheap at Cameta Camera.. Refurbs of course... I just went through the same thought process you are in. I had the K-5 for awhile but it was getting a bit heavy to walk around with at Disneyland when just shooting the family. So I went with the Oly E-PL1 body only. Then I got a PK-m43 adapter was able to use my m50 lens. Since then, I have added a couple more m43 bodies to the bag and a few more manual focus lenses. These smaller bodies are great. Easy to carry around... If you shoot jpeg, the OLY bodies are known for the outstanding jpg engine.

The MX-1 does look very interesting... and with the max aperture of f2.5 (i think) should be a pretty good performer...
03-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Recently I went to shoot out an event and I needed a two body. I have my K-7 with a couple of primes and a K-01 with the DA18-135mm. (The lens selection is irrelevant here, but was not possibly the best.)

Having two bodies allows more flexibility: no need to change lens, just swap body. The use of two bodies with which I could share lenses was great. Of course, I would prefer to have two nearly identical bodies (eg K5 + K5ii, or K5 + K7), but the K-01 is such a great value for money right now and the IQ is superb.

My 5 cents....

03-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In addition to the p&s convenience, one "advantage" of a non-interchangeable-lens camera is that you get the thrill of a new toy, while at the same time assuring that LBA can't take you to the cleaners as a result.

I was also going to suggest the K-01, because it is so darned cheap, and if you already have some DA limiteds, this will also keep your LBA in check. That's what I did. The K-01 really is more compact than all the SLR options, in practice. Even though it doesn't appeal to you, you should add it to your arsenal, and at that price, you can still think about another toy!.

I suppose the K-30 would take care of the two system problem just as well, plus add some buttons and widgets to play with that the K-01 doesn't have. And shooting with two "real" SLR bodies is a fun experience, just by itself.

I'd like a Q10 but that would certainly open me up to collecting more lenses. I don't shoot much tele, so the K-mount adapter is not much of a benefit to me. We'll have to see if I get careless over the summer.

One reason I have been toying with the idea of Nex instead of m43 is focus peaking. Not sure if any of the Olympus bodies support this but the GH3 does not. Anyhow, if you do video (and depending on what kind of video you want to shoot), one of these would be hard to beat.

Just MHO.
03-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter

How about a Sony Nex 6?

EVF and would be fairly small with a Sigma 16 on it.

Then for fun get a bunch of adapters for it as it can mount a lot of different lenses.
03-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
One reason I have been toying with the idea of Nex instead of m43 is focus peaking. Not sure if any of the Olympus bodies support this but the GH3 does not. Anyhow, if you do video (and depending on what kind of video you want to shoot), one of these would be hard to beat.

Just MHO.
There is a magnification button on the OLYs. I use this to get the focus dialed in. I highly recommend the VF2 viewfinder.. its 1.4mil resolution and makes manual focusing easy peasy...

I think focus peeking might be on the newer model OLYs.. not sure tho.. I got the old school models cause they were cheap.. My e-pl1 cost me $79, e-pl2 was $140 and the pm1 was $169... All refurbs...
03-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Edward - The Cameta Olympus page is one of the regular stops on my late-night internet jaunts... I have been tempted by the low prices! And I would almost certainly add a VF-2 to the package if I went the m4/3 route (I need a VF for stability).

hcc and Tanzer - The quality to price ratio on the K-01 is truly remarkable right now and I have been tempted of late... But, there is no VF (and no option to add one), and I really just don't like the design. I've tried to, but I can't. Still being able to share lenses between two cameras is a big draw. In fact this is one of the draws of the m4/3 - the ability to adapt Pentax glass. My FA 43 becomes a classic portrait lens, my (eventual) DA 21 becomes a normal lens, etc.

Tanzer and Corto - I have thought a lot about the NEX system and specifically the NEX 6. I like the feature set and the VF, but the native lenses are leaving me a little wanting (except for the Zeiss 24, which is more than I'm willing to spend right now). Also, I do agree with you Tanzer that a fixed lens camera avoids another path in the LBA jungle. In fact I'm sort of justifying my desire for an x100s by thinking of it as the missing DA 23 limited, with a body attached.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and advice!

Yonatan
03-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Pentaxian

IMO, it depends on how you want to setup the 2nd camera.
1. 'fixed' lens setup - just a kit zoom or a non-changeable lens compact cam (for use only if the main body can't work)
2. fully interchangeable lens setup - full array of lenses for 2nd body too

The K01 or K30 is the best option to serve both arrangements (though a bit heavy/big for #1 since a small m4/3 with kit lens can do too)

Its a bit of a waste imo to go m4/3 and option#2, since its probably an investment of ~$1500 for camera and some lenses.
You'll end up carrying 2 systems in the bag too.

If it was me, I'd either just get K01 (and be practical and not nit-pik over it) just for the flexibility.
Or just a cheap GF3;GF5; EPM;etc with kit lens or a 20/1.7.
Or a Q.

The Nex is a good option too. It does take all the pentax lenses. (though in that case, I'd just get K01).
K01 is thicker, but all lenses work as they should (AF and all).
03-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have second, third and fourth bodies, yeah I know it's sad, but..... I use an advanced bridge camera for work, compact but capable of high quality shots including close focus.

Then I have digital SLRs, I have multiple bodies because I don't trade in when I upgrade. On vacation I will take 2 DSLRs and use at any time the two most common lenses I would have in my kit at the time swapping bodies when I need the other lens. Tis usually means a sigma 10-20 on one and a tamron 28-75/2.8 on the other. It really depends on your needs as to the decision you make on bodies
03-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #14

Have you considered the MX-1? I'm thinking about buying it for my wife.

03-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
I think focus peeking might be on the newer model OLYs.. not sure tho.. I got the old school models cause they were cheap.. My e-pl1 cost me $79, e-pl2 was $140 and the pm1 was $169... All refurbs...
No focus peaking on the Oly's yet, unfortunately. You can fake it one of the art modes on the Oly E-M5 (can't remember which one), but no real focus peaking yet. Honestly I think the fixed lens compact is a great idea. But being a former owner of m4/3 equipment, I can also say that with a small prime, they can be stellar cameras as far as IQ and size are concerned. I would suggest giving a Panasonic GX1 a look, with maybe a Pansonic 14mm 2.5 lens. That combo is so small you almost won't believe it, and the IQ will be amazing for the size. The 14mm 2.5 is insanely small and a very good lens, and the GX1 is excellent (and still 16mp). The other nice thing about m4/3 is that when you get bored you can always buy another lens... not so much with a compact camera.
But if you're looking for portability, you're simply not going to beat something like an LX7 or MX-1 or XZ-2 (hell if you can find a used or new XZ-1 at this point, it'd probably be a steal, and that's a great camera, with a really great lens).