Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 04:39 AM   #1

K20D/Katz Eye

Anyone else notice that the K20D and K10D can share focusing screens?!

02-28-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't take the risk!

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
Anyone else notice that the K20D and K10D can share focusing screens?!
Every focus screen has a different characteristic and an incorrect and inappropriate screen will greatly affect metering accuracy. Unless there are other users who are willing to try and have tried and reported it is okay OR it is at least official offer by the Katz eye, I won't recommend anyone to take the risk!

For more detailed info on how different focusing screens can match different Pentax DSLR bodies and how the screen can even affect MF accuracy, see my old article on the topic:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When the Focusing Screen Lies (for Focusing and Metering)
02-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While what RH says is true, check the part number on the OEM screen that came with the camera. If it is the same as the K10D then you are probably safe in using a Katz Eye screen from a K10D. If it is different, then you should wait (or you could volunteer your camera to Rachel Katz, and they can then create the proper screen for the K20D)

Edit: I just checked my K10D manual against the focus screen supplied with the K20D. They both use the same part number. You should be OK with a Katz Eye screen designed for the K10D. Make sure you read the performance notes on their web site though.

Last edited by roscot; 02-28-2008 at 06:00 AM.
02-28-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
While what RH says is true, check the part number on the OEM screen that came with the camera. If it is the same as the K10D then you are probably safe in using a Katz Eye screen from a K10D. If it is different, then you should wait (or you could volunteer your camera to Rachel Katz, and they can then create the proper screen for the K20D)

Edit: I just checked my K10D manual against the focus screen supplied with the K20D. They both use the same part number. You should be OK with a Katz Eye screen designed for the K10D. Make sure you read the performance notes on their web site though.
Does the DS and the K10D's ones have different part number, then?

02-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
In fact I believe they are different, and I somewhere have an e-mail from pentax stating that metering functions would be impacted if you use the screen from a different camera.

I know there are people who claim using a DS screne in the K10D makes it meter better, but again, someone needs to try this to prove it,
02-28-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

you guys are funny...

"safe"

like its a freaking bomb or something.

changing these screens is easier than eating a pie, whoever has both cameras should just try it and see, if metering is way off, well then, you have your answer.
02-28-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I do not know anything about part numbers, but I have a K10D and an *ist DS, and I have moved my Katz Eye from one to the other, with Rachel Katz's blessing (I asked her first) and with no ill effects.

Rachel K. did tell me that some of the other Pentax models use a different screen. But apparently the K10D and the *ist DS can share the focusing screen.

Will

02-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I do not know anything about part numbers, but I have a K10D and an *ist DS, and I have moved my Katz Eye from one to the other, with Rachel Katz's blessing (I asked her first) and with no ill effects.

Rachel K. did tell me that some of the other Pentax models use a different screen. But apparently the K10D and the *ist DS can share the focusing screen.

Will
Will

When you say the DS and K10 share the focusing screen, are you sure about this?

I understand the screens are interchangeable, and for the Katx eye, the screen is the same for both, but what about the pentax screens. As I responded to RH, I have an e-mail from pentax stating that using the DS sdcreen in th eK10 would impact metering (but I think a lot of users say the DS screne is better for metering)

I will do a search on this, and let you know
02-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
In fact I believe they are different, and I somewhere have an e-mail from pentax stating that metering functions would be impacted if you use the screen from a different camera.

I know there are people who claim using a DS screne in the K10D makes it meter better, but again, someone needs to try this to prove it,
There are at least 5-10 "tests" of the 60 vs 80 screen in regards to green button manual metering.
DS screen...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Too lazy to find them for you but Blend8 had a good series of photos that were posted on a german forum showing the "night and day" difference between the 2....
The $50 is a pretty cheap investment if you use manual lenses... Get a different one other than the "standard" one and you could probably dump it on e-bay for a minimal loss IF it didn't improve manual metering for you, but I bet it does.........
02-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
When you say the DS and K10 share the focusing screen, are you sure about this?

I understand the screens are interchangeable, and for the Katx eye, the screen is the same for both, but what about the pentax screens.
Did I misunderstand the question? If so, I apologize. The thread is titled "K20D/Katz Eye" and I thought it was the Katz Eye screens that were being discussed.

So to be clear: I have two cameras (*ist DS and K10D), and at the moment only 1 Katz Eye focusing screen. I have NOT moved the original Pentax focusing screens from one camera to another and have no opinion about whether this would work or not. But I have moved the Katz Eye screen from one camera to the other. Actually I bought it from Katz Eye Optics for the *ist DS, but I contacted Rachel Katz and she informed me that it's the same screen used in the K10D. It's now in the K10D.

Will
02-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a Kat in my K100D and like it much better for manual focus lenses. but it isn't as easy to put in as people say. If you have the correct tools it would be easier. I put mine in with tweesers as it says and scratched the dam thing up, now it looks like hair is around the edges of the viewer. Also everything is not level when I shoot, so it isn't in exactly level. Now I'm afraid to mess with it.
02-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Did I misunderstand the question? If so, I apologize. The thread is titled "K20D/Katz Eye" and I thought it was the Katz Eye screens that were being discussed.

So to be clear: I have two cameras (*ist DS and K10D), and at the moment only 1 Katz Eye focusing screen. I have NOT moved the original Pentax focusing screens from one camera to another and have no opinion about whether this would work or not. But I have moved the Katz Eye screen from one camera to the other. Actually I bought it from Katz Eye Optics for the *ist DS, but I contacted Rachel Katz and she informed me that it's the same screen used in the K10D. It's now in the K10D.

Will
Will

Sorry about the divergence. it is just from my interest in the metering performance of different focusing screens.
02-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

the thing about metering performance...

if a screen causes you to consistently under or overexpose, you can fix that by consistently using the EV adjust!
02-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes. The ist Dx series uses a different focus screen, and transferring an older screen to a K series will effect metering.
02-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the thing about metering performance...

if a screen causes you to consistently under or overexpose, you can fix that by consistently using the EV adjust!
Yes, in principle if the error in exposure is consistent with all f-stops. the problem I have encounteded on the K10D is that exposure error changes as a function of fstop.