Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What Price = Used Cameras

Camera prices here in Oz are sometimes , a little insane ..

A) I can understand people want a return on their investment , but cameras are not bonds
B) Some folks are just plain crazy - Bidding old stuff past new prices ..

If you can buy a brand new ( for example ) Pentax K01 with a 18-55 lens for $440 Shipped , why on earth would you bid past that for an old camera ? ( or anywhere near that )

I wanted a istD or K100 for a long time , and they just got bid up to crazy prices ( last year ) , I picked up a istD with 2 lenses early this year for $180 , I thought it a fair deal .
It worked out , maybe the body was $50 when looking at the prices the lenses go for , maybe the body was $0 ( somewhere there )

I would like to pick up a beater ( decent condition 6.1MP ) to throw ( keep ) in the car . A nice cheap one I dont have to worry about ( yeah ) ..
What are the chances ? Slim to none ..

Why on earth do people want to pay top $$ for old gear when they can buy brand spanking for $450 , new technology , more MP , more features , and probably better pictures .
Oh well , the istD may have to be that beater , but I still want a 2nd camera to my K5 , maybe a K100 or K200 , but they cost so much as to not make sense .. ( encroaching on K01 price )

And if your prepared to pay $450 for a camera , why not a little more for a K5 ???

ill just have to start saving my pennies

03-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There can be a number of reasons. The K100D for instance (which would include the K110D and K10D, along with the *ist/d/ds, etc.) all have CCD sensors rather than the CMOS sensors in the newer cameras. Some folks prefer CMOS sensors for the richness in color (with relatively low noise), while manufacturers prefer CMOS systems because they are easier and simpler to design and build. CMOS also uses less power, which is very important to battery based products. Pentax still uses CCD in their 645D system (its 40MP).

The K100 cameras are pretty nice units. When I went to the K20's 14MP I thought it was a large step up, and it was. That said, the images I have from my K100 are very nice, and compete very well with my old K20 and current K5, and I have kept my K100 just for this reason. The K100's also were pretty much the last (until the K30's now), that offered LCDs on the top, and wired remote shutter releases, in their entry level models. Its nice to see that Pentax has put these items back in.

The K-01 currently is an absolute bargain. With the price reductions (at least here in the US) makes essentially a K5 minus the viewfinder, gives someone a really wonderful and very capable camera.

03-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
K5 minus the viewfinder
Also two other major minuses...

1. Low fps rate.
2. Lack of weather resistance
03-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bid crazy people do two things, and often both... They get caught up in the competition to WIN, almost regardless the cost; and many have not done their research to see what new or even refurbished with a warranty equipment would cost.

I lose lots of bids, mostly to the first reason. I'm happy for the sellers.

03-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
eBay auctions change like the weather. Some weeks are better than others...

You need to account for pay days (1st 15th) and tax return season...