Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Spencer Quote
show a good and in depth knowledge of other brand photo gear
I think also that maybe over the years, we've all used different brands.

I still do, often governed by what I'm needing to do or who's supplying the equipment.

At the end of the day it's all about capturing the image and not the tool it's done on.

03-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I read reviews in Australia in 1979 and 1980 before buying and the ME Super & MX were out in front of the pack.
Then Tamron had good reviews too and Tamron K mounts came available which helped me decide.
It was not until later that I realized the importance of the long term K mount compatibility and I started using Ricoh slr bodies.

A friend at the time got an Olympus OM10 with 3 fine OM lenses. I spoke to him a few years ago, he had no incentive to continue using those lenses when he got a digital.
03-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I went with Pentax as I felt that with all the old manual glass knocking around it was a system that I could spend my life mastering. Looking for support, I found this place and the deal was sealed, this forum is superb, and best of all, it is a friendly place to browse around in.
You only have to look at DPReview, people over there are not that friendly, though I will admit that the Pentax forum isn't too bad, there does seem to be a mentality that comes with shooting Pentax
03-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I became a Pentax user in late 2008 almost by accident and discovered the joys and benefits afterwards, so I can't rightly claim that superior knowledge and research skills led me here (well, I claim them, but...). When I decided I wanted a dSLR, I looked around at local stores and then did some research on what they had. Naturally, that had me looking at Nikons, Canons and (since I lived in Korea at the time) even a Samsung GX-20 (still have my notes--I really wanted the D90 but was leaning towards a Canon 450D due to cost!). Long after I started looking (and having flip-flopped between Nikon and Canon offerings) I found a good deal on a K200D at a duty-free shop at Incheon airport. A little bit of research was enough for me to pick it up on my way to a two-week vacation in Borneo (one of many fantastic vacation spots within striking range from Seoul). Now, of course, I'm hooked. A couple of Limited lenses and a K-5 upgrade since then and there's no turning back now...

03-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been a Pentaxian ever since my mum bought an MG on a trip to Hong Kong in the early Eighties. All my uni mates (late eighties/early nineties) were Pentax/Ricoh guys too. Did the Ricoh thing for a while to (XR-2s, XR10 etc - using my K mount lenses) and finally a K200D. I've since gone to a K-7 and the missus is learning with the K200D. Also converted a friend when I pulled out an old A 50mm stuck it on my K-7, took a pic of his missus and challenged him to do the same with any other brand. Result - he turned around a bought a K-7 too. Both the mate and the missus are really getting into learning the ropes coming to grips with the finer points of photography. Lots of other Canikony friends just use their DSLRs as fancy P&S.
03-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #21

I agree that a common reason one buys a Pentax camera (in spite of the fantastic marketing!!) is that one has researched the field and made a conscious decision. In doing that, one is aware of the pros and cons of all the systems.

Having done that, I really must emphasise that this forum is excellently set out and managed: the contributions are positive and (mostly) objective. There is a wealth of experience and user reviews so the selection of new equipment is made easier. I had a case of trying to work out a good lens for my daughter, who has a Nikon (long story..she had a K200 before). I could not find a similar database for objective and subjective reviews of Nikon equipment.

So to Adam and his crew - well done, keep it up. To the rest of the forum members - I am proud to be associated with this forum.
03-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I've definitely experienced the same. I'm an assistant wedding photographer and my boss swears my Canon. If I even mention "I'm considering picking up the K-5ii sometime soon" he goes off on a tangent saying that I shouldn't even consider any other brands and that Canon is the only one to bother considering.

I'm sorry but.. Every Canon other than the 5D MK II/III that I have tried I couldn't stand. The 60D, still a ~$700-800 body only camera, feels super cheap in my hands. Nothing like a K-r or K-5 would. I don't like the idea of needing to spend upwards of 3 grand on a body just to get great quality, and still need to drop another 900-1200 on a lens!

03-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote

Every Canon other than the 5D MK II/III that I have tried I couldn't stand. ...
Tell your boss that on the K-5 changing iso on the fly using index finger and thumb together is easier than performing the same change on the 5D variants (you can only use index finger in two operations).
03-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Oh believe me, I've tried haha. It's a moot point to him. He's a nice guy, but definitely very, very strongly opinionated for Canon. He considers every other camera to be worthless and not even worth mentioning. My $500 K-r feels better than every other Canon I've used (with the exception of the MK II/III with a grip). The 60-D, 6D, 7D, all just don't compare!
03-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
A lot of Canon guys are the same, me I use both systems (also sometimes Nikon too) depending what I need to do, for me at the moment it's all about FF or lack of with Pentax, sigh one day...
03-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I started off in photography with a Minolta Maxxum 650si. That camera stole my heart, and I will forever regard myself as a Minoltian first and foremost. With that said, I was looking for a (very) slightly stripped down version of that for use as a grab-n-go camera. The closest equivalent was a Pentax MZ-5/ZX-5. I bought one, and immediately I became a fan of Pentax. After I had finally begun using a DSLR (a Maxxum 7D), I then decided to upgrade. To make a long story short, a K20D is now my main camera.