Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripod mounting rng for the FA* 300mm f/4.5

Hi All-
The mad engineer here again.
IMHO, the FA* 300mm f/4.5 is the best lens Pentax ever made! BUT no tripod mounting ring?!?! I have solved the problem. (The problem is that I was unable to find a tripod mounting ring that fit. My prior solution worked, but roughly, and barely.)
Buy a "Tripod Mount Ring For Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM Lens". I got mine on eBay. It is too big, right?
Then buy a roll of "Slick Strip" from Woodcraft Supply (or Amazon, which is from Woodcraft).
Then remove the felt from the inside of the ring.
Then line the ring with Slick Strip (use two pieces so you cover almost all of the inside of the ring. (I made one edge flush with the edge of the ring and trimmed the other edge flush with a razor.)
Then wrap the lens barrell with Slick Strip. (I went from the left edge of the "distance window" to the right edge of the product label. Repeat this step. And add a short piece of Slick Strip between the "distance window and the product label. Repeat this step. The edge of the Slick Strip nearest the camera should be right to the edge of the metal part of the barrel--no trimming required.)
Now the fit is snug, and a slight loosening of the ring clamping screw combined with the "slick" of the two taped surface means smooth and easy rotation of the camera.
VOILA!!!
I love it when things work!
Jack

03-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pntxjack Quote
IMHO, the FA* 300mm f/4.5 is the best lens Pentax ever made!
Sorry, the F*300/4.5 is better - it already has a tripod mounting ring!
03-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Sorry, the F*300/4.5 is better - it already has a tripod mounting ring!
D--Can you believe a 300mm lens WITHOUT a tripod mounting ring? Especially since they already put one on its predecessor . Are the lenses otherwise the same? I just got back from a brief outing, and the fix works perfectly. :-)
03-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

D--Can you believe a 300mm lens WITHOUT a tripod mounting ring? Especially since they already put one on its predecessor . Are the lenses otherwise the same? I just got back from a brief outing, and the fix works perfectly. :-)
Yes, they're basically the same. Optical formula is the same. Differences are the F* had a built-in hood as well as the tripod collar, it's white instead of silver, and it has the slightly different rendering more typical of the F series. Likewise, the FA* version renders more like other "typical" FA lenses. This is probably due to small differences in the glass and/or coatings between the generations. But they're essentially the same lens.

The F*300 is definitely one of the most important lenses in my kit, and one of my favorites.

03-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Yes, they're basically the same. Optical formula is the same. Differences are the F* had a built-in hood as well as the tripod collar, it's white instead of silver, and it has the slightly different rendering more typical of the F series. Likewise, the FA* version renders more like other "typical" FA lenses. This is probably due to small differences in the glass and/or coatings between the generations. But they're essentially the same lens.

The F*300 is definitely one of the most important lenses in my kit, and one of my favorites.
Thanks D.
Likewise for my 300. Never without it. (I bought the DA* 300 f/4. No comparison at all, at least in the "sharpness" department, although it does have four major conveniences: Faster focus; quieter; a hole in the hood to adjust rotating filters, AND A BUILT IN TRIPOD MOUNT.)
Take care.
03-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I bought the DA* 300 f/4. No comparison at all, at least in the "sharpness" department, although it does have four major conveniences: Faster focus;
Really, faster focus? The DA*300 is much faster focusing than the slow DA*200, but I thought (from other's reports) the screw drive models were even faster. My K-5 IIs seems to have given it an AF performance boost as well. I owned the DA*200 for a short while but only tried the DA*300 in the store a while before I bought my F*300, so I never made a direct comparison. But I do think I like the IQ from the F* a little more than the DA* (which is the main reason I bought it instead), and I think I'd like the FA* almost as much as the F*.
03-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi All-
The mad engineer here again.
IMHO, the FA* 300mm f/4.5 is the best lens Pentax ever made! BUT no tripod mounting ring?!?! I have solved the problem. (The problem is that I was unable to find a tripod mounting ring that fit. My prior solution worked, but roughly, and barely.)
Buy a "Tripod Mount Ring For Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM Lens". I got mine on eBay. It is too big, right?
Then buy a roll of "Slick Strip" from Woodcraft Supply (or Amazon, which is from Woodcraft).
Then remove the felt from the inside of the ring.
Then line the ring with Slick Strip (use two pieces so you cover almost all of the inside of the ring. (I made one edge flush with the edge of the ring and trimmed the other edge flush with a razor.)
Then wrap the lens barrell with Slick Strip. (I went from the left edge of the "distance window" to the right edge of the product label. Repeat this step. And add a short piece of Slick Strip between the "distance window and the product label. Repeat this step. The edge of the Slick Strip nearest the camera should be right to the edge of the metal part of the barrel--no trimming required.)
Now the fit is snug, and a slight loosening of the ring clamping screw combined with the "slick" of the two taped surface means smooth and easy rotation of the camera.
VOILA!!!
I love it when things work!
Jack
Yeah, I share your pain. Great lens, fantastic colours. But every time I mounted it to a tripod I got lens droop and it was maddening. Eventually I found a F*300/4.5.

My FA*300/4.5 then became an American citizen when I sold it via this forum.
03-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Yeah, I share your pain. Great lens, fantastic colours. But every time I mounted it to a tripod I got lens droop and it was maddening. Eventually I found a F*300/4.5.

My FA*300/4.5 then became an American citizen when I sold it via this forum.
TRANQ--Forgetting the inconvemience, how do the lenses compare, particularly sharpness? Thanks for any input.