Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #1

Pentax k200

It's what Pentax told me is closest to the quality of the old SF1 and that a 20 will be out soon. Wish to keep my oldie but looks like a DSLR may be the answer, problem is, need to learn more about DSLR's. That is why I will definitely be reading the forums. Sue

02-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Sue,
The K200D should be a pretty good thing, but no-one has yet to buy one and post any shots here. It is certainly packed with many good features.

I am hovering on this one myself as it is damn good value at almost half the price of a K20 and a couple of hundred $$ cheaper than the K10 here in Australia.

I have just had a look at some sample shots on the Pentax site, and, as you would expect, they look good to me. I am in no hurry and will get to a store one day soon and play with one.....just hope it doesn't attach itself to me and want to follow me home
02-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

a K200D is just a K10D that runs off AA's
02-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Agree with gooshin. Actually it lacks dual control dials so it is kind of like a K10D lite. The grip is supposed to be much smaller, but it doesn't hold a card or remote. Does add the processing for HDR. Due to ship later this month.
thanks
barondla

02-29-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TLcat Quote
It's what Pentax told me is closest to the quality of the old SF1 and that a 20 will be out soon. Wish to keep my oldie but looks like a DSLR may be the answer, problem is, need to learn more about DSLR's. That is why I will definitely be reading the forums. Sue
The SF1 (which I still keep, it was called the SFX for mine) is just a cloned Minolta 7000 with AFC mode and a built-in TTL flash (with AF red assist beam), nothing more and nothing less 99% else.

It has the good old build quality of the old days, all glass viewfinder optics with superb coatings, super large but not really bright finder. A ground glass matted focusing screen which is not bright to look at but we could have the matte area to do the MF easily. MF is also very easy for the really large magnification it has. It has a vigorous spring driven mirror which the camera has little time lag.

But it has many cons as well. So, this camera is actually the starting point for why Pentax declined. The body is super noisy and as I said the mirror action is rather vigourous. I have no chance to handheld it for less than 1/60s with a standard 50mm lens whilst I can do that well at 1/8th second with my MZ-S. The camera is super slow in AF actually (but it is accurate though)

If "Pentax" told you that K200D is just like the SFX, it is just a joke as the two camera by no means should be compared and they are of very different generations, different features and actually are just two different things!
02-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
[If "Pentax" told you that K200D is just like the SFX, it is just a joke as the two camera by no means should be compared and they are of very different generations, different features and actually are just two different things![/QUOTE]

Thank you all for the feedback, soaking it in, my mind and ears are open to all comments, Sue