Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Highlight/shadow correction features

Does anyone use these functions, if so how effective are they?

Thanks

Randy

03-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Highlight correction basically makes the camera take a photo at a lower iso than it states (which is why the lowest ISO isnt available) and then brightens the other parts. It affects raw files. I think most photographers here don't like it when shooting raw, because you can essentially do the same with any post processing software.
I think shadow correction only affects jpegs? I'm not 100% sure, but I think it just makes the dark parts of the jpeg slightly less dark, which might be useful in high contrast photos (like taking a photo of a person standing in the shade on a sunny beach). Hope someone can fill this in or correct me, but as far as I know the problem is that Pentax never told us exactly what these features do and how they do it, so its up for educated guesses and testing.
03-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I've used them, but typically leave them turned off.
First, they only affect jpeg images created by your camera's RAW to jpeg translation engine. I shoot RAW+ and typically work my 'keepers' from the RAW image in post-processing. It isn't often that my goal is to create the best jpeg image in-camera.
Second, turning them on will reduce your available ISO range. The camera uses part of the sensor's range to do its 'magic'.

In my opinion, these are valuable tools if you are primarily a jpeg shooter.
03-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #4

Randy, yes I use the highlight control whenever I shoot in jpeg, and find it very useful. In situations of high contrast I also use the low shadow correction control.
7 years ago when I was using a K100d everything was done in raw. Then with the next camera a K20d I started using jpeg about 30% of the time. Now I`m using a K5 I find that with careful setting I can get superb results with jpeg. I have set the camera to the `Natural` setting plus increased the saturation by one click, this setting works well for me if I use highlight correction.
May I suggest you spend an hour or two doing your own tests. I am very aware that Raw is the recognized way of doing things but, if you need to achieve high exposure and colour standards on your pictures and you shoot a lot of images every day you will want to get the very best from your camera to save time editing too much.
Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Richard.

Last edited by Richard Spencer; 03-06-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: add picture
03-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #5

Here is the sort of work I do in Jpeg Randy. I find it nice and quick to download - resize and crop if needed. Everyone has there own style and for me the pleasure is taking the shots.

Richard.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard Spencer; 03-06-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: remove photolink
03-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use shadow correction, helps me in the darks