Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #1

SCN Mode on K100D Super

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone can help me with my K100D Super. I am using lenses from my old K1000 and have been trying to use the SCN mode but it does not seem to work as described in the manual. Does it only work with the digital lenses or do I have to set it up in the menu screen. Thanks

02-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My first advice would be not to use the SCN mode unless you are new both to the camera and photography basics as well.
If you use Av, Tv or Manual, you may have a tougher time, but you will learn faster.

What type of K1000 lenses do you have ?

Most of the SCN modes require either Aperture priority or Shutter priority auto exposure.

Most older lenses will have an "A" position on the Aperture ring - you need to set it, otherwise auto exposure will not work properly.
If its set to other than "A" or the lens doesn't have Auto exposure capability, you are pretty much on Manual - the camera's metering cannot automatically control the lens aperture.
Set Custom Setting - Aperture Ring to "Permitted"

You can still use them with limited control in Av mode, but not in any of the Scene modes.

Page 186 - 188 of the K100D's manual is very informative on the limitations of older lenses with regard to Auto exposure.

Last edited by kittykat46; 02-28-2008 at 09:31 PM.
02-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I asked the same question

SDP,
asked the same question when I started... and I got told the same thing that kittykat46 said..

Basically the AV, Manual and sometimes the TV settings are truely all you will ever need. I found it hard to believe that a pre-setting would be better (being the stubborn farm girl I am).. so I did my own tests and sure nough.....lol.. the AV pictures turned out better..

The best thing to do is try them on the same subject and go from there.... My k100 Super seldome leaves AV mode but it is shortly going to discover M mode....

Good luck!! Kim
02-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't listen to that. You can learn a lot from the scene modes, they don't even know which "SCN" mode you're talking about.

You have to press the Fn button while in shooting mode (after a shutter half press), then press OK. There you'll be presented with the screen featuring the extra SCN modes, snow, night, pets, etcetera. For them to work you need an A lens, with automatic aperture - M lenses won't work unless wide open (I think).

Keep an eye on what the camera is doing (shutter speed and aperture) so you can learn what is useful for what. Have fun! :]

02-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #5
sdp

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. I am not new to photography or Pentax but I am new to the K100D. I do not have any lenses with the A setting on them and have only had this camera for a few days. It does take great photos but seems to have a ton of functions that I need to learn. Steve
02-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would recommend becoming familiar with the SCN modes. Not for yourself, but for times when you would like to hand the camera to a child or perhaps someone else and let them enjoy taking nice photos with a good camera....but with P&S simplicity. If you're familiar with the modes yourself then it makes it easier for you to select a no-brainer mode for them with confidence.

The great thing about having the SCN modes available in addition to the other modes is that it makes the K100D a camera the whole family can use with ease and confidence.
02-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sdp Quote
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone can help me with my K100D Super. I am using lenses from my old K1000 and have been trying to use the SCN mode but it does not seem to work as described in the manual. Does it only work with the digital lenses or do I have to set it up in the menu screen. Thanks
How do the Scene modes did not work as you would expect? What do you expect actually by the way? Please share.
02-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #8

you have to use manual mode and the AE-L button to meter. Also, a setting in the custom menus needs to be changed to allow the camera to use lenses with the "A" setting.

I tried to explain it but my explanation was horrible so I deleted it and did a quick search instead... heres another thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/17929-old-lenses-new-k10d.html

I think the problem is that you are tryin gto find out how to use the SCN modes with manual lenses. The answer is you cant, you should use manual mode with the manual lenses.

there is a pictoral explanation linked in that thread that is great. The thing I had to learn is that the AE-L button metering only works when the meter is "awake". a half press of the shutter will "awaken" the metering. otherwise the camera will seem to ignore you when you press the AE-L button. After a few days, I instinctively tap the sutter release to wake up the camera as I raise it to eye-level. I dont think about it anymore.

-k