Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #1

Teach me about reversing rings...

Hey there,

I should have a K100D and the 18-55 and 50-200 lenses coming soon - now, I love macro photography, too, and seeing as how I'd like to use this kit for that as well, but cannot afford a designated macro lens, I'm interested in reversing rings. I think I have the gist of how they work, and I've seen some pretty impressive shots made with them.

I guess what I really would like to know is what "size" of ring do I need? I see them with different mm sizes. What would be the right choice for the 18-50 mm lens?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Cheers,

R.ticle One

02-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The filter thread of that lens is 52mm, so ideally that's what you need. If you can't find one then get the 55mm one (i have one), and buy and step down adapter (55-52). Then you're set. Even better, you can use a macro coupler to mount one lens in reverse order with another lens. The magnification is the ratio between the FL of the main/the reverse lens. Either way, beware of the razor thin DOF and close working distance. Good lighting is a must also.
02-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
The filter thread of that lens is 52mm, so ideally that's what you need. If you can't find one then get the 55mm one (i have one), and buy and step down adapter (55-52). Then you're set. Even better, you can use a macro coupler to mount one lens in reverse order with another lens. The magnification is the ratio between the FL of the main/the reverse lens. Either way, beware of the razor thin DOF and close working distance. Good lighting is a must also.
In addition, you can increase the DOF by stopping down the aperture. that being said its good to a tripod....unless you blast the heck out of it with said lighting!

Once you find the right fit, its fairly intuitive. You're going to focus by rotating the whole lens and moving your camera closer and further from the subject. you're going to have to use a static subject. If you want to take some shots of you average house fly, I suggest deftly catching it and sticking him in the freezer for a minute! That's get him to stay!
02-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Bear in mind that with either a reversing ring (lens mounted backwards on body) it helps greatly to have the lens that is reversed have an aperture ring on it. Otherwise you have to use your finger to stop the lens down. Which at the short stand off distances you get can be difficult.

02-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, guys! Lots of great help on this forum.

R.ticle One
03-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

I tried the reversing the kit lens, with hand holding the lens & manually stoping down the apreture, focusing is done by manually moving, this is quite tough stuff plus the last thing the subject (house fly) moves continiously (didnt move when I was shooting).

You can find the results here

Hope you would like it.
03-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Madhur, those are good results for this technique. I still prefer the increased standoff distance that a true macro lens of 100mm or more Fl can provide, but whatever works on the camera works!

Now, the idea of chilling down cold-blooded animals to get them to hold still for macrophotography, that leaves me cold. It's one thing to find them in nature on a cold day, and quite a different (moral) matter to catch them and pop them into a freezer for a while. You're messing with a life, then (end of rant).
03-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi Christine

Re your concerns about:

QuoteQuote:
the idea of chilling down cold-blooded animals to get them to hold still for macrophotography
And I thought photographing young children or family pets was near impossible ! But on the other hand, think of all the alternative fun you could have temporarily popping warm-blooded species into the freezer compartment for a few minutes/hours
(delete as necessary !)....so, we'll start the ball rolling with greasy Politicians (Left or Right, let's not be picky !), Traffic Wardens, IRS Inspectors, Drug Dealers, Realtors, Murderous Criminals and recalcitrant Mothers-in-Law (only kidding !).........lol !!

Best regards
Richards

Last edited by Confused; 03-03-2008 at 05:52 PM.