Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Firmware for older Pentax DSLR models

Is there a reason why firmware updates for older Pentax DSLR models (i.e. istDL) are not so feature rich as for higher end models like K10D?

I have istDL and last two (and only two) firmware updates bring support for SDHC cards only. I am not going to upgrade my firmware because I have no SDHC cards and my card readers are not updated. But I would love to see some of the other features that K10D upgrade has like button programming for easy access to some features.

02-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax has not, in the past made a practice of adding features of new cameras into the firmware of older models.

I am not overly concerned about this, personally, and what I would perefer is enhancements to correct functional issues on current models.
02-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess you are right. Firmware updates should be designed to fix problems. But an "extra" feature now and then would be nice.

If I can have just one wish, I would love if Pentax could get a nicer font that displays in the color LCD (menu, fn) :-)
02-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Pentax has not, in the past made a practice of adding features of new cameras into the firmware of older models.
Except for istDs then, they added continuous focus for all modes, instead of just sports mode as before.

02-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've heard a few people mention they'd like to see payware offered. Where you tell Pentax wat you'd like and if it's possible they charge you a reasonable price to have their programmers make it up for you.

As far as I know it isn't offered by anyone yet, but if there's enough demand it might just be in the near future.
03-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Better yet, lets ask for an open source firmware. I bet there are hundreds pentax users that are also programmers (myself included) that could take advatage of such a firmware. Just dreaming......