Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentee Quote
Pentax releases a Full Frame camera, this Tuesday. Would you think about buying one? Yes or no?
Why do you want to know?

03-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think he meant the Ides of March, the full moon in the Roman calendar.
03-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

no ... ... I'm broke right now ;(
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, but I would wait for about a year/18 months for the prices to start coming down and the first few firmware revisions to come out. I still shoot film and I'm definitely set up for FF. Would I sell my APS-C gear? No! Not soon anyway.

03-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely! - but I guess I would have to wait for the full frame lens roadmap to be released around April 1st .........
03-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #21

No - Although it would be nice to have a FF, I've currently got too much committed in APSC lenses. I couldn't justify the cost of going up to FF with an equivalent lens collection right now. But who knows - once it arrives I may feel differently about it.
03-10-2013, 02:40 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Me, not. How many others will buy it? If I remember correctly, a poll sometimes ago stated that one of the thing most desired by Pentaxians was a long lens for sport and wildlife. Now that we have one, instead of seeing thousands of people running to buy it, the 560 is too long, too heavy, too expensive, too technoilogically poor, too white... With the full frame camera it will be the same; too expensive, too cheap, too big, too small, too small viewfinder, too few AF points, too few FF lenses, too many colours...

03-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Me, not. How many others will buy it? If I remember correctly, a poll sometimes ago stated that one of the thing most desired by Pentaxians was a long lens for sport and wildlife. Now that we have one, instead of seeing thousands of people running to buy it, the 560 is too long, too heavy, too expensive, too technoilogically poor, too white... With the full frame camera it will be the same; too expensive, too cheap, too big, too small, too small viewfinder, too few AF points, too few FF lenses, too many colours...
Alas, while I might have hinted just one page ago, that I would rush out and buy a FF Pentax, I have to agree with the above comment. There are many who bemoan the absence of a FF Pentax, but if Pentax Japan were to offer FF cameras on a made-to-order basis, how many of those people would sign on?

Regards
03-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Alas, while I might have hinted just one page ago, that I would rush out and buy a FF Pentax, I have to agree with the above comment. There are many who bemoan the absence of a FF Pentax, but if Pentax Japan were to offer FF cameras on a made-to-order basis, how many of those people would sign on?

Regards
That's partly because people want a FF as an indicator that Pentax is committed long term to the DSLR market, and because they believe it will act as beacon to others. I think there is a small amount of merit in this.

Would I buy one? It would depend entirely upon the price. If it were £!500.... maybe.... but I've just picked up a firesale K-01 and the 16mp sensor is so good that a K5-IIs is actually tempting right now.
03-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
That's partly because people want a FF as an indicator that Pentax is committed long term to the DSLR market, and because they believe it will act as beacon to others. I think there is a small amount of merit in this..
But isn't a medium format digital reflex, and new technologically advanced lenses for it a better indicator of the commitment to the DSLR market?

The question is if there are real people that tomorrow are ready to spend 3500 dollars for a full frame camera and new lenses.
03-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #26
fuf
Forum Member

yes, definitely (assuming it will offer improvements over the K-5 I own (e.g. faster, more precise AF))
03-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentee Quote
Pentax releases a Full Frame camera, this Tuesday. Would you think about buying one? Yes or no?
There are many ifs involved here...
Yes, I would be extremely interested. Yes, I can afford one. BUT I will wait for the MkII version considering Pentax' QC. A camera lives on the lens system that is available, so what lenses will follow this hypothetical camera. It is not that easy, but the longer the wait, the least impressed will we be.
03-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I'm still hopeful for the 560. Personally I am waiting for Adam's review along with price stabilization. It will be the 560 or the Sigma 500 for Christmas in 9 months. I only own one aps-c lens DA*16-50 and also plan to add a second body. So my hope is for a stellar review of the 560, a price adjustment to reflect the marketplace (the Sigma 500 is a stop faster and 10% shorter and has a 40% price advantage) and also for a follow-on to the K-5 camera this year which will almost certainly have improved performance (including auto-focus).
As far as the 560 - I would really want to rent one for a week before making such a large investment, even if it cost the same or less than the Sigma 500) since there is so little real user feedback at this time. The Sigma 500 is less of a gamble - well established among Pentax, Canon, Nikon, and Sony users for years. The Pentax 560 is an unknown currently at a high preium price.
03-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I hope they'll do a better job than their first attempt at FF-ness evaluation.

On-topic: I won't immediately buy it (don't need it, actually, but a FF viewfinder is nice), however I'm already seriously considering this option. I would not be able to replace it as I can with APS-C cameras, so I'm being cautious.
I might buy another high-end APS-C camera first, though, and one or two (FF?) lenses.

Last edited by Kunzite; 03-10-2013 at 06:20 AM.
03-10-2013, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Nope, not for me if a DSLR. Too big, too unwieldy, too me-too. I'd be tempted by a smaller, Sony RX1 or Fuji X series style of camera especially if Pentax said they would produce 5-7 lenses for it over the next couple of years (and smallish ones, 49-52mm diameter). However, the sheer amount of tech that would have to go into this makes it unlikely to come from Pentax first, imho.