Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just thinking out of the box. Really, I have to thank Erik because it was his question that got me thinking about it. I might not have considered this functionality otherwise. I've always found that in explaining something to others one sometimes finds enlightenment.

03-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again for the additional ideas.

@Workingdog: I thought of using the USER function. I haven't used it before, but my concern with it is that I tend to shoot in so many modes (M, P, Av, even Tv sometimes) that I would worry that I'd have to kind of reset the user mode to match my settings for the day. Of course, I am still new to the K10d, and I find myself shooting in M mode more and more since the green button can help get me close to what I want and I can adjust aperture, shutter-speed, or ISO from there.

Related @WMBP... The whole forgetting what the USER mode is set for is what I think might concern me. However, as I mentioned above, I am still learning and getting comfortable with this camera.

@MJB: Your idea is basically what I had in mind when I made my previous response. This way at the end of the day or sooner, I can know exactly which raw files to remove (i.e. the ones that already have jpgs). The Raw+JPG button was the whole goal of the original post. I'll just be making due with a "limitation" of not getting jpg only.

This forum has been a godsend. I feel pretty comfortable with photography and the camera. I learned on a film SLR and when I switched to digital in 2000, I couldn't afford to go to a DSLR so I had a Prosumer type camera. In all honesty, having only used a SLR at that point (growing up with it), I didn't realize the quality differences between Point and Shoot and SLR's until a bit down the road... I had figured all limitations I saw were due to digital vs. film. However, once I finally found the ability to buy a DSLR, I feel back at home, and my photographs are really doing well.

This forum is really fantastic. The manual is not the greatest, and it seems that there are features there that are not easy to follow and shortcuts that aren't obvious.

Thank you,

Erik
03-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Ah Will

Your astute but witty comments invariably make me giggle uncontrollably......

QuoteQuote:
Especially if I am not forced to read that piece of garbage manual again for the 19th time !
If there is any justice left in this world, I pray that just before the approach to the 'pearly gates', there is a well-concealed trapdoor leading to a bottomless hell-hole specifically reserved for punishing all those errant misfits whose sole purpose in life seems to have been to frustrate & infuriate otherwise sane human beings by producing utterly unintelligible translations of product instruction manuals to no apparent purpose whatsover !

Best regards
Richard
03-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Your astute but witty comments invariably make me giggle uncontrollably.
And my posts cost you less than marijuana. Perhaps I should start charging on a per-post-read basis.

QuoteQuote:
If there is any justice left in this world, I pray that just before the approach to the 'pearly gates', there is a well-concealed trapdoor leading to a bottomless hell-hole specifically reserved for punishing all those errant misfits whose sole purpose in life seems to have been to frustrate & infuriate otherwise sane human beings by producing utterly unintelligible translations of product instruction manuals to no apparent purpose whatsover !
I can assure you that the problems with the K10D manual are not simply the result of bad translation. It was a piece of garbage in the original.

Will

03-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Erik,

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat. So, you shoot mostly in RAW but want to do a quick switch to JPEG without navigating the menu.

Why not take advantage of the USER setting on the mode dial to accomplish this feat. It would be just as easy as pressing the RAW button and requires no menu surfing.

I haven't actually done this, but I think it will work. What the heck, give it a try and let us know.
Yes this does work, it is how I have my camera set. "User" = Jpeg & Program mode. All other modes are set to RAW. The RAW button switches to RAW+ and back to RAW, or in the case of "user", back to jpeg.