Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Simple (Hopefully) K10d question

I think this might be a simple question, but my experimentation hasn't made this work.

I have a K10d and I like shooting in RAW. However, there are times I'd rather shoot in JPG, e.g. I take a picture of a sign to document a landmark, monument, etc.

The K10d has a button for clicking once to go to Raw+JPG. Is there a way to customize the camera so that when in RAW mode I could press that button and go to JPG for one shot? (i.e. the opposite of what the botton is supposed to do).

I haven't had luck making that work, but I am still trying to learn the menus too. Everytime I set it up, it seems to stick with the JPG, which bums me out when I get home and find that instead of a lot of Raws I have a lot of JPGs.

Erik

02-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I dont think that the K10D has that capability. They did, as I understand, build it into the K20D.

Sorry, I think you are stuck with a really nice camera (i take two of them to every wedding). Too bad there is one little thing that they didnt think of before sending it out.....
02-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I think this might be a simple question, but my experimentation hasn't made this work.

I have a K10d and I like shooting in RAW. However, there are times I'd rather shoot in JPG, e.g. I take a picture of a sign to document a landmark, monument, etc.

The K10d has a button for clicking once to go to Raw+JPG. Is there a way to customize the camera so that when in RAW mode I could press that button and go to JPG for one shot? (i.e. the opposite of what the botton is supposed to do).

I haven't had luck making that work, but I am still trying to learn the menus too. Everytime I set it up, it seems to stick with the JPG, which bums me out when I get home and find that instead of a lot of Raws I have a lot of JPGs.

Erik
Unfortunately no. Its the first thing I wanted to do with the raw button too. Whoever at pentax thought that raw>raw + Jpeg would be the major use of that button should be punished. Anyhow there is a work around (sort of). Just take a raw and use the in camera development to change the ones that aren't important later that night. Save space while traveling and you don't have to dig through menus while on the go. Maybe we'll get lucky and pentax will release a 1.4 firmware with that change.
02-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

This is relatively easy to do. First, find the box that your camera came in. If you look down near the bottom you will find a book marked "owners manual". Now the hard part. Open it up.
If you look in the section under "menus" / "custom settings", you will find instructions on exactly how to set this button up to do what you want it to do. In the camera, in the custom menu, it is on page 5, top item. Before placing the book back in the bottom of the box, you may want to skim thru it as there are a number of other interesting items relating to your camera contained inside. This will require some reading, but should make using your camera more enjoyable and save you from having to post questions like this in the forum.
Sorry for the sarcasm, but this camera contains a large number of very useful features and to get the most out of it you really need to read the book. You may be surprised at some of the things it can do and just how easy it can make shooting if you set it up correctly.

02-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Perhaps you should read the post a little closer?

Pg 206 in the user manual details the custom settings menu. The only control listed for the one touch raw+jpeg button is if it reverts to raw after one shot, or continues to shoot in raw+jpeg until pushed again.
02-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #6

Well that setting is not EXACTLY what emalvick asked for, but still it will do the trick easily. Custom menu, page 5, top setting or, for GX-10 Cutom menu 2, page 2, top setting. Change from "1 time" to "continious". One press - you're shooting RAWs now... Another press - Jpegs, press it third time - here you go, RAWs again. Pretty simple and useful
02-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The K10D dedicated RAW button only switches from whatever format you are shooting in to RAW+

There is no changing that in the custom settings.
02-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, thank you to everyone except the one sarcastic one. Snowcat's method is one I was using but I find that I forget to press the button back.

Counter to what the sarcastic response suggested, I did read the manual and as was pointed out and stated in my original post, what the manual states is opposite of what I was looking for.

Anyway, I do appreciate the suggestions. I am still learning the camera, and I find that the manual is not the most useful thing in the world (especially coupled with the firmware updates), and I am learning a lot from this forum.

02-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AV82GOLF Quote
This is relatively easy to do. First, find the box that your camera came in. If you look down near the bottom you will find a book marked "owners manual". Now the hard part. Open it up.
If you look in the section under "menus" / "custom settings", you will find instructions on exactly how to set this button up to do what you want it to do. In the camera, in the custom menu, it is on page 5, top item. Before placing the book back in the bottom of the box, you may want to skim thru it as there are a number of other interesting items relating to your camera contained inside. This will require some reading, but should make using your camera more enjoyable and save you from having to post questions like this in the forum.
Sorry for the sarcasm, but this camera contains a large number of very useful features and to get the most out of it you really need to read the book. You may be surprised at some of the things it can do and just how easy it can make shooting if you set it up correctly.

Sigh.

The first setting on page 5 of the custom menu settings in the K10D controls what the one-touch raw + jpeg button does. And what DOES it do? It depends:

1) If the basic file format setting for the camera is for jpeg capture, the Raw button switches from jpeg to raw + jpeg (and then back).

2) If the basic file format setting is for raw capture, then this button switches from plain raw, to raw + jpeg (and then back).

But I'm pretty sure neither of these speaks to what the original poster wants. The original poster wants to shoot in raw most of the time, but to turn raw off completely now and then, and take a quick (small) shot in jpeg. Not raw + jpeg, just jpeg. And as far as I can tell, this is something the K10D can't do--unless you hit the Menu button, go to page 2 of the Rec Mode settings and change the capture mode to jpeg.

I would be delighted to learn that I'm wrong. Especially if I am not forced to read that piece of garbage manual again for the 19th time.

Will
02-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
But I'm pretty sure neither of these speaks to what the original poster wants. ...

Ah, I see that, while I was writing my reply, Erik (the original poster) has responded, and now I'm not sure that I myself understood what he wants.

I myself never use raw + jpeg, whose point escapes me almost completely. I shoot raw 99.3% of the time, but I want just the raw file. The jpegs just make my cards fill up faster. Now, I would occasionally like to take a one-shot jpeg in order to get a small file, and then I'd switch back to plain raw. I thought this was what Erik wanted to do. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be possible with the K10D.

But Erik, if you're happy shooting in raw+jpeg most of the time, well, then you've got the answer you were looking for.

Will
02-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Will and MJB thanks... I guess that is what I had found. I think I might borrow from Geekybiker's idea and shoot in Raw+JPG full time and then at the end of the day delete the Raws I don't need or even delete the JPG's I don't need or want or perhaps just toggle to Raw+JPG when I want the JPGS and then delete those Raws later on.

Thanks,

Erik
02-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Ah, I see that, while I was writing my reply, Erik (the original poster) has responded, and now I'm not sure that I myself understood what he wants.

I myself never use raw + jpeg, whose point escapes me almost completely. I shoot raw 99.3% of the time, but I want just the raw file. The jpegs just make my cards fill up faster. Now, I would occasionally like to take a one-shot jpeg in order to get a small file, and then I'd switch back to plain raw. I thought this was what Erik wanted to do. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be possible with the K10D.

But Erik, if you're happy shooting in raw+jpeg most of the time, well, then you've got the answer you were looking for.

Will
Yes, I guess the point of raw +jpg escapes me too, and I generally want to shoot raw 99% of the time. There are just occasions where I am taking a photo of a sign or something (e.g. to complement a previous or following shot) that I don't need a raw file. They are sometimes photos that once I catalog them at home with their IPTC information, I probably won't even keep.

The idea I had is to be able to take raw and then when desired take a JPG shot for those shots I don't care as much about without having to go through the menus.

My solution so far had been somewhat like what was described earlier using the raw+jpg button with the continuous option. The problem I have is that it seems to end up shooting in either jpg or raw+jpg, which again seems redundant (perhaps it also does the raw only, but I don't recall ending up with that).

Anyway, I found that I either end up forgetting to switch back to raw (I'm still to new to the camera) or I am just ending up with too many files.

I think now, I'll just try shooting in raw and then when I want a jpg only, I'll shoot in raw+jpg. Then at the end of the day or when I am running out of space, I'll delete the raw files that already have jpgs. I'm new enough to this, that I can force this into my workflow routine. I don't really do this too often, yet, but with my old camera I always found myself shooting jpgs of signs when I was on a trip, so I wouldn't forget what I was shooting a photo of (a visual log). It works well in art museums, etc. when you want to document a piece of art, but they aren't anything I'd ever print or even keep once I keyword and caption the image the sign goes along with.
02-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Erik,

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat. So, you shoot mostly in RAW but want to do a quick switch to JPEG without navigating the menu.

Why not take advantage of the USER setting on the mode dial to accomplish this feat. It would be just as easy as pressing the RAW button and requires no menu surfing.

I haven't actually done this, but I think it will work. What the heck, give it a try and let us know.
02-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Why not take advantage of the USER setting on the mode dial to accomplish this feat. It would be just as easy as pressing the RAW button and requires no menu surfing.
Bravo, I think this DOES work. I just gave it a try.

I have used the USER mode only occasionally, mainly because I could never remember what I'd set it to. I think I'm going to set it like this and leave it alone.

Thanks for the tip--and I'm sure Erik will be delighted, too.

Will
02-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

To the OP

if you shoot in RAW and then just want one jpg for later, set the dedicated RAW button to 'one time' in the custom settings. hit it when you want the jpg...you will have a RAW file too, but thats ok.
The camera will shoot in RAW+for one shot, and then return to the mode you were shooting in.....

USER is another good option
I never use that mode anymore...good idea workingdog.