Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
It finally happened

Well it finally happened. The missus dropped my K5 iis onto aggregate concrete from about 1m high despite being attached to a strap.

Wouldn't have minded if this happened after 1yr of ownership but it's only been 4 months.

Thankfully it didn't have the heavier DA* 55 attached but the 21 ltd was. PIcked it up and it responded with a 'meh' and kept shooting like a champ.

Coincidentally she chipped my black car door after 2 weeks of ownership. I really should stop letting her touch my toys.

03-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by DNT Quote
Well it finally happened. The missus dropped my K5 iis onto aggregate concrete from about 1m high despite being attached to a strap.

Wouldn't have minded if this happened after 1yr of ownership but it's only been 4 months.

Thankfully it didn't have the heavier DA* 55 attached but the 21 ltd was. PIcked it up and it responded with a 'meh' and kept shooting like a champ.

Coincidentally she chipped my black car door after 2 weeks of ownership. I really should stop letting her touch my toys.
How long have you had the misses? Perhaps she should be dropped while still under warrantee
03-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's pathetic to even worry about. I've seen far worse, the base plate will wear off paint eventually anyway.
03-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #4

Wow, a) she lets you have them b) she lets you use them around her c) you let her touch them. I almost have to duck and cover just thinking about any of those .

03-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
DNT

Original Poster
@kennod already expired Hehehe

@eulogy good for you for being more experienced. I'm still new to DSLRs so have no idea on how tough these things are.

@russell2pi happy wife, happy life!
03-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At least your camera work...
I dropped my K-r two days ago and is now being repaired...
Hope I will get it next week, stinks to not have a decent backup camera.
03-10-2013, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm...

Did you ever get a chance to read one of my posts?

The Mysteries of a Pentax Camera Strap

What kind of "strap" were you using?

03-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Tough camera!

That does not look too bad, If it bothers you gently file down the rough edges of the dents and touch up with some satin black paint.
03-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I think you need to drop your wife.

Following the rules of ratio and proportion, you should drop her from about 45 meters or so. Why? Well, the camera weighs just under 1 kilo, and she dropped it about 1 meter. To be fair, your wife weighs about 45 kilos, hence dropping her 45 meters.

It's OK, she'll only complain just a tiny bit more than the camera.

I used this same logic when I was married to my first wife. She was always breaking my stuff. She broke my favorite coffee cup when she dropped it. So I threw her out the upstairs bedroom window.

She landed in the swimming pool.

Other than being real mad and very wet, she got over it.

She took my dually pickup to the store and a dentist appointment. Upon returning I noticed the driver's side mirror and rear fender extension were broken, and the rear bumper looked like she had been rear ended by a utility pole.

When I asked what happened, she claimed ignorance. I pressed her to come clean. She finally admitted that when she pulled up to the mailbox to get the mail she "might have bumped the box a bit". A bit? She nearly tore the mirror off of the door and the fender was damaged so severely that it required complete replacement.

The mailbox was destroyed, and the post was broken off clean at the ground.

I then asked how the rear bumper got bent.

"Bent?", she asked.

So I led her around to the back.

"Oh, that!", was her reply. "It must have been one of those little trees in the landscaping at the dentist's parking lot. Your pickup is real bi, and those mirrors stick out way too far. And that bumper is pretty weak if a little tree can do that to it."

Uh, huh. There was creosote on the bumper, and it had curvature that matched the diameter of a utility pole, not a 3" decorative maple tree in a car park flower bed.

So I used the side of her car to push the ends of the bumper back in.

I wound up divorcing her, but not because of her propensity for destroying just about all of my stuff. No, the flaws in our marriage went much deeper than simple material things, and life has been many times better for me since we parted ways.

{The preceding diatribe may have been embellished just a tiny bit for a humorous effect, but it does have some factual components.}
03-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Can you get her to drop on demand, i.e. when the FF comes out?
03-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
MSM
Veteran Member

re: It finally happened

@russell2pi happy wife, happy life!
No greater wisdom revealed in fewer words.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Hmm...

Lauren: Very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting. I will have to fix my own strap.
03-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If it bothers you, you could replace the bottom plate. I did it to my K10D for a minor crack and it wasn't expensive at all.
But for me it was easy, having the Pentax service in the same town.
03-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Thankfully it didn't have the heavier DA* 55 attached but the 21 ltd was. PIcked it up and it responded with a 'meh' and kept shooting like a champ. ...
That's a tough DSLR there ... luckily only minor cosmetic damage ... Good luck, J
03-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Awhile back I posted a story and image of when I fell on concrete steps, landing on the arm and hand holding my K5, and the camera fired off the shot on impact. The shot was rather dramatic but the camera was fine. My poor old body was a bit worse for wear. In your case, I think I'd be more concerned about the lens than the built-like-a-tank K5 body. You might do some image tests to be sure one or more of the lens elements hasn't been knocked a bit out of alignment and the lens is still as sharp as it was.

Edit: Found it. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/183101-k-5-toughness.html
03-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Hmm...

I had not seen any of your camera straps posts before. I have just finished re-attaching my strap! It looks way better done your way.