Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Can I make a request? I seems that the JPGs are turning out awesome on the camera, but RAW tests show different. When you get a chance, can you take some RAW+JPG shots at high ISO? I want to see if they found a very good noise suppression in the camera processor, or if the image is indeed that clean.

Thanks for taking all these pictures so far, that 21fps is awesome for web stuff. I might try some 4x6 prints from those sizes just to see how they will turn out.

I'll have to buy a K20D first tho and I can't do that right now

03-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
Thanks for taking all these pictures so far, that 21fps is awesome for web stuff.
Well, not only maybe.
So far, nobody has posted full size 21fps samples which would be 1.6 MPixels each. Nearly enough for 1080@24p HDTV which is supposed to be a little better than YouTube

If I find a decent subject I may produce such a sample. Opinions?

For the 1600ISO RAW+. I'll think of it next time
03-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, not only maybe.
So far, nobody has posted full size 21fps samples which would be 1.6 MPixels each. Nearly enough for 1080@24p HDTV which is supposed to be a little better than YouTube
A little better? Youtube is 320x240, that's more than 6 times less resolution, and with crappy compression!
03-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #19

Do you happen to have any third party lenses, Tamron or Sigma for example? I'm curious to know if the body recognises the lens ID on those, which it has to do if you are to adjust the focus of lenses individually.
If the lens shows up in the exifs i think it's OK.

03-02-2008, 04:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Jay, thanks for the links. Makes me a good deal more likely to keep the DA* 16-50mm on my LBA list!
03-02-2008, 07:02 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Do you happen to have any third party lenses, Tamron or Sigma for example? I'm curious to know if the body recognises the lens ID on those, which it has to do if you are to adjust the focus of lenses individually.

I have the Tamron 18-250, and the new Silkypix Pentax Photo Browser doesn't recognize the lens data (lens name shows up as "----" in the browser.) The version of Photo Browser that came with my K100D didn't recognize it either, though, so it's a problem with Silkypix, not the camera - I have a Linux/Unix based software package called "exiftool" that does recognize and correctly label the Tamron in the exif data.

Even though it doesn't know it's 'name', it works perfectly well - everything else in the Exif is correct, focal length, etc. Shake reduction works at all zoom lengths, exposure, no front/back focus issues with the Tamron.

That's the only 3rd part AF lens I own, the rest are Pentax.

Regarding full-sized 21fps images - Looks like I can't upload the full 1.6MB images, exactly... picasaweb apparently compresses everything you send up, even if you request "full size" upload - my frames are 500K+ on my system, but only 100K when they get up there.

Any suggestions on a free upload site that will take full-sized jpg & RAW?

03-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

if the body recognises the lens ID on those [...]
Can you explain, please?

So far, I thought that the EXIF data is read out of the lens chip and copied 1:1 into EXIF. So, it would be up to the PP software to recognize the lens. Am I wrong? I probably am anyway
03-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Full size burst mode sample

I have worked on the sample issue for the K20D's 21fps burst mode.

To disentangle things, I have posted it in its own thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/21913-fireengine-k20d-movie-full-hd.html

To view a full size sample photo, pause the fireengine21.mp4 video at some point.

I shot the video with the Sigma 18-200 at 18mm. I got purple fringe but I fear it isn't from the lens. It may be a binning artifact as well.

My fear: a 3x3 array of sensor cells is binned to a single burst mode cell. However, this does not fit with the 2x2 Bayer pattern of the color filter and I ask myself how this extraction is done at all. It definitely isn't a downsampling from the full resolution. I wish it were, though...

Anybody here has more info on the matter?

03-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #24

Wonderful looking photos for sure I doubt that I would use the 21fps feature, but it would be nice to make gifs I suppose.

-Kevin
03-05-2008, 01:49 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Can you explain, please?

So far, I thought that the EXIF data is read out of the lens chip and copied 1:1 into EXIF. So, it would be up to the PP software to recognize the lens. Am I wrong? I probably am anyway
You cannot correct front/back focus with post processing so that software doesn't have anything to do with solving the problem, otherwise than by showing whether the camera can distinguish between the lenses.
From the K20D Op Manual, p 106, AF adjustment:
Name:  Bild 4.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  47.3 KB
To me it seems the camera has to read something called the lens ID for this to work.
03-05-2008, 05:29 AM   #26
Pentaxian

To me it seems the camera has to read something called the lens ID for this to work.
You are right, I guess. However, the lens ID could just be a hash from the lens' chip data without needing the camera to "recognize" the lens. Or it could be standardized like focus length again without needing the camera to "recognize" the lens. Or it could be as you fear.

I'll run some tests for you as soon as I can.
03-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
A little better? Youtube is 320x240, that's more than 6 times less resolution, and with crappy compression!
And it's also using flash so it depends on your computer to decode it, which if its a mac even a decent one like my macbook pro it eats your cpu power up.
03-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
Can I make a request? I seems that the JPGs are turning out awesome on the camera, but RAW tests show different. When you get a chance, can you take some RAW+JPG shots at high ISO? I want to see if they found a very good noise suppression in the camera processor, or if the image is indeed that clean.

Thanks for taking all these pictures so far, that 21fps is awesome for web stuff. I might try some 4x6 prints from those sizes just to see how they will turn out.

I'll have to buy a K20D first tho and I can't do that right now
a RAW image is only as good as the person doing post processing.