Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
Pentaxian
offertonhatter's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stockport, Manchester. UK
Posts: 377
I was thinking about the 5D and the 1Ds models. both are FF yet compete in different price points. For example the 5D has only 3FPS (same as K10D/K20D, whereas the 1Ds is higher. Also, the electronics for IQ in the 1Ds is superior at any ISO.

So, therefore you could incoporate a K1D with FF, have say 6fps, and other electronics to beat the 5D and D300 in performance (but not the Pro cameras), and have the LX1D having the best cutting edge electronics, converters, FPS (say 10) and very high ISO performance that you could not have in the K1D due to price constraints.

At the time Canon hit the Jackpot with the 5D, as consumers who could not afford the Pro cameras, could afford the 5D and FF, for not much more than the top Prosumer cameras, but reliquishing certain items for IQ that the FF can inherently bring. (I know the that D300 and K20D probably beat it IQ wise, but the 5D has now been on the market since 2005 and still selling well.)


I am sure if Pentax produced two models, the K1D, for the more advanced prosumers who want the latest FF with exceptional IQ, and the LX1D for the more Pro users, which I think would make inroads into the big 2.

And remember, Sony are to announce a FF Alpha 900 model, which again will be a lot less than the 1D range and D3.

Two FF Pentax could be a worthy setup without stepping on each others toes.

03-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
Oh no

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
I'm doing this because I know pentax is listening....

My dream cam is still the K1D

So, Pentax, here is the start of your consumerbased brainstorming....

Of course, built in grip.
That is the one thing I do NOT wish to see.
And the reason is NOT that something like that would make me look like a Canon or Nikon big time pro... It would make the camera too big to take along like I do with my current cameras.....
So what is the point of something that allows you to take great pics but cannot be bithered with lugging around???
03-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote

Then release a new model say called the LX1D (after Pentax's last Pro camera range) to be a full rival to the 1D Mk3 (but without the bugs) and D3.

Just a thought......
Not sure about that, I think the MZ-S and to a certain extent the PZ1 series belong in the same group, but by then the massive Canon marketing took over... Pentax did not bother with a successor... If they had, who knows...
03-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I am sure if Pentax produced two models, the K1D, for the more advanced prosumers who want the latest FF with exceptional IQ, and the LX1D for the more Pro users, which I think would make inroads into the big 2.

And remember, Sony are to announce a FF Alpha 900 model, which again will be a lot less than the 1D range and D3.

Two FF Pentax could be a worthy setup without stepping on each others toes.
K**(*)D clearly named after the K-series.
If after K1000, then we will see KX*D first....
But I suppose the K**(*)D is more after the KX series in which case I do not see the point in LX1D, it will simply be L*D (L200D, L20D), buit only after we see an M**D, smaller yet as capable as the K**D series.....

Then ofcourse a PZD and finally we will see , at last, the MZ-SD....

03-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member
WMBP's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,496
Janneman doesn't like the buiilt-in grip idea.

I confess I don't quite see the point of it myself, but I'm willing to hear arguments. What would be the advantage or point of a built-in grip, as opposed to a detachable/optional grip like we have now with the K10D and K20D? I love the grip and I never remove it from my K10D. (I use only 1 battery at a time.) But the current grip is well designed and unlike grips for some other cameras I've seen, the Pentax K10D/K20D grip looks like it's built-in, unless you examine it closely. So what would be gained by building the grip into the body?

The main advantage that I can see is that it might allow Pentax to make the LCD screen on the back of the body HUGE. But is that what other makers actually do? And are there any other advantages?

Will
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member
MJB DIGITAL's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: st. louis
Posts: 1,173
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Janneman doesn't like the buiilt-in grip idea.

I confess I don't quite see the point of it myself, but I'm willing to hear arguments. What would be the advantage or point of a built-in grip, as opposed to a detachable/optional grip like we have now with the K10D and K20D? I love the grip and I never remove it from my K10D. (I use only 1 battery at a time.) But the current grip is well designed and unlike grips for some other cameras I've seen, the Pentax K10D/K20D grip looks like it's built-in, unless you examine it closely. So what would be gained by building the grip into the body?

The main advantage that I can see is that it might allow Pentax to make the LCD screen on the back of the body HUGE. But is that what other makers actually do? And are there any other advantages?

Will




QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
That is the one thing I do NOT wish to see.
And the reason is NOT that something like that would make me look like a Canon or Nikon big time pro... It would make the camera too big to take along like I do with my current cameras.....
So what is the point of something that allows you to take great pics but cannot be bithered with lugging around???
If I feel bithered carrying my camera around during a job.....then I have a problem. I want this camera for work.

I have regularly shot on the Canon 1series cameras including 1D, 1Ds and 1Dmk2

add a flash bracket, a flash, a quantum turbo pack, and a pocketwizard, along with all of the necessary cords...and you have a HEAVY camera. ohyeah...and add a 70-200 2.8 IS....

I would agree with you guys about going lightweight, but I'm not shooting for leisure. I shoot so that I can eat and keep a roof over my head.
The grip would be very comfortable to shoot with. Being built in creates better ergonomics and maybe even the possibility for more functionality.

Remember, I'm not saying that I want this camera to take to go and see butterflies in the park...im F****ng HUNGRY!!!!


Last edited by MJB DIGITAL; 03-03-2008 at 09:59 AM.
03-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member
WMBP's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,496
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
I would agree with you guys about going lightweight, but I'm not shooting for leisure. I shoot so that I can eat and keep a roof over my head.
The grip would be very comfortable to shoot with. Being built in creates better ergonomics and maybe even the possibility for more functionality.
You're not agreeing with me. I didn't say anything. I asked a question. What is the advantage of a built-in grip over an optional one? I suggested one possible advantage (larger LCD) but I asked if that is how the built-in grip is used by Canon and others who provide it.

Will
03-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norman, Oklahoma USA
Posts: 350
I sort of like the idea of a removeable grip also. Something like the nikon D300 --6fps without it, or 8fps with the grip and a larger battery. extra power when you need it. I'm ready- let's just get it done!

03-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #24
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 150
Two non-technical comments.

1) Wow I'm a noob when it comes to jargon. When the OP was going nuts about a built in radio, I thought he meant like an FM tuner. I was very confused. I get it now.

2) I think the naming system should break with convention. There are enough letter/number names in our lives as it is. It seems like everything is a zx42 or a a300, or a BFG1000.

I say, buck the trend, and just use kick a$$ names like the K-Interceptor, the Pentaxator, the Soul Stealer, etc. Something that will strike fear into the puny arbitrary letters and numbers of the other lines. Something that says, "my camera is going to EAT your camera. And maybe your dog".



and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
03-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member
MJB DIGITAL's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: st. louis
Posts: 1,173
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
You're not agreeing with me. I didn't say anything. I asked a question. What is the advantage of a built-in grip over an optional one? I suggested one possible advantage (larger LCD) but I asked if that is how the built-in grip is used by Canon and others who provide it.

Will
Will, I am very sorry if I have offended you with the way I worded that post.

let me reiterate (sp?)

The reason that I would like to have a built in grip is because there is a possibility that with the grip being built in, a more ergonomic design may result. Also with the size of the grip being added to the body, there is a possibility that more innovative and useful technology may be built inside of it i.e. radio transmitter, larger battery, more room for FF (if you want FF), more room for better SR, larger LCD on the outside....Pentax is innovative, i know they can think of more...

As for the optional grip available to us, I wont buy it because it doesnt have an AF button. That is one button I use even more then the shutter button. I cant reach it with my thumb whilst shooting in the vertical position. If the thing had an AF button, or if the camera was designed so that you can reach the AF button on the body....well, then I would have two of them. Thats one for each K10D I shoot with.

The canon grip built-in for the 1series cameras has all of the buttons ergonomically placed so that you have access to every button you need while shooting vertically or horizontally. I love it.

Furthermore, weight and size are not as important to me. I have shot and will shoot with heavy cameras. I dont mind it. In fact, I like a larger camera so I can 'grip' it better. 8)

Again Will, Im sorry about disagreeing with you. I hope that I have restated myself properly. And I hope that I have answered your question.

Mitch
MJB DIGITAL
03-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member
WMBP's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,496
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
Will, I am very sorry if I have offended you with the way I worded that post.
Mitch, absolutely no need to apologize! I wasn't offended at all. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't agreeing with janneman--I was trying to get more info for myself.


QuoteQuote:
The reason that I would like to have a built in grip is because there is a possibility that with the grip being built in, a more ergonomic design may result. Also with the size of the grip being added to the body, there is a possibility that more innovative and useful technology may be built inside of it i.e. radio transmitter, larger battery, more room for FF (if you want FF), more room for better SR, larger LCD on the outside....Pentax is innovative, i know they can think of more...
OK, this makes good sense. It's like having a 1000 square foot apartment. You might break it up into three rooms, or one big room. If it's one big room, you'll be able to do more with your furniture than you would otherwise.

OK, I could go for a built-in grip. I would certainly like to have a bigger LCD...

Thanks, Mitch.

Will
03-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member
MJB DIGITAL's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: st. louis
Posts: 1,173
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmbower Quote
Two non-technical comments.

1) Wow I'm a noob when it comes to jargon. When the OP was going nuts about a built in radio, I thought he meant like an FM tuner. I was very confused. I get it now.

2) I think the naming system should break with convention. There are enough letter/number names in our lives as it is. It seems like everything is a zx42 or a a300, or a BFG1000.

I say, buck the trend, and just use kick a$$ names like the K-Interceptor, the Pentaxator, the Soul Stealer, etc. Something that will strike fear into the puny arbitrary letters and numbers of the other lines. Something that says, "my camera is going to EAT your camera. And maybe your dog".



and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of secret spy radio for communicating with fellow ninjas. That way I can coordinate my private investigations with....
SUPER SECRET SPY TECHNOLOGY!!

And my input on the names:

Pentaxillac LX (after the cadillac)
HeMan
KLXD (serious, pronounce it, it works...but it sounds like a RADIO station)
BOB
03-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member
MJB DIGITAL's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: st. louis
Posts: 1,173
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Mitch, absolutely no need to apologize! I wasn't offended at all. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't agreeing with janneman--I was trying to get more info for myself.


Will
Awesome.
03-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
Awesome.
what's awsome about NOT agreeing with Me???
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
business, camera, dslr, ff, film, im, k1d, meter, pentax, photography, radio, styles, tif
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More Rumors of a possible K1D jbcampbell Pentax News and Rumors 79 02-10-2008 09:00 PM
Pentax K20D, K5D, or K1D (or both a K5D and a K1D)? stewart_photo Pentax News and Rumors 42 01-04-2008 02:45 AM
so its actually the k1d CarlCanary Pentax News and Rumors 29 01-03-2008 01:53 PM
K1D/K10Ds? wmmk Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 04-11-2007 08:34 PM
K1D rumours? Harald Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 02-02-2007 03:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top