Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K1D

I'm doing this because I know pentax is listening....

My dream cam is still the K1D

So, Pentax, here is the start of your consumerbased brainstorming....

Of course, built in grip.

I got my pc synch socket on the K20D so I think we will continue to see that.

I get a lot of work on 10MP on my K10D's, so after the firmware/beta/testing period, im excited to see 14.6....I dont care about more MP, but if we have super low noise (FF?) then we can crop way in if we want/need to especially if we have a 20MP FF sensor....

The noise is coming along and pentax has just made a really great jump in quality (anyone disagree?) ....this will bring us to the FF issue if we do get FF it doesnt need to be 20MP...just larger photosites right? i think im learning about that...

K1D crop, K1D* FF, nuff said

My ist*D has 3 custom settings menus. You can toggle between which setting line you have. Then I could shoot on settings1 for weddings, settings2 for studio and settings 3for happytime shooting (after i hit starbucks)

Yes, the AF
I think there is enough commotion about it that it doesnt need mentioning, but it wont hurt.
BETTER AF PLEASE 8)

We can name our filenames now...lets keep that.

and I'm still feeling like I should push for a built in radio.
pentax has all of these flashes that can be optically triggered by the pop up. its great!! it has given me the ability to create more jobs for my business and spend less money.
I believe pentax might be the leader here. my buddy complains that after he spends $$$$ on canon, that he still needs radios...and i dont.
but im limited by optical triggering.
built in radio is the next step. that would grab so much business for pentax.... its wacky.

I want to have the option to shoot in TIF sometimes. I miss that on the ist*D, it was slow as hell...but the next camera will be faster. TIF isnt something I would use for work, because I only do RAW for work. I just want it because I had it once, and I liked it.

Keep the new shooting styles we have now in the K20D i.e. IR, B&W, add some more film styles i.e. velvia and whatever else.....Pentax strives for film look....then do it!

what about a whitebalance meter? i just brainstormed this. possibly you can have a meter that checks what the AWB setting would be against what WB setting you have set...just a thought.

Duel SD slots? I know that throwing 8gigs in each cam (a 4gig in each slot) would be a dream during a wedding...or any other shoot really.

RECAP

K1D for cropsensor and K1D* for full frame sensor

Grip

Built in radio and compatible flash system. (ok maybe we will have to wait for that, but radios are an invaluable tool, and pentax would do well if they developed a built in system)

Shooting formats like TIF, different film modes, and continuing the innovations that they already have.

WB Meter

Duel SD Slots

Ninja Mode

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 08-27-2017 at 02:21 AM. Reason: remove swearing
02-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't mind a FF camera so long as it had a DA crop mode with a decent amount of resolution about 10mp. That way i would at least still have a good amount of res if i wanted to lighten my load (DA* 50-135 f2.8 is half the weight of the FA* 80-200 f2.8).
02-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thats what the K1D is for....instead of the K1D*

see?

but it would be nice to have both in one camera wouldnt it?
02-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Would you ever be able to afford this "K1D"??
What use is a super-camera if you can't afford to buy it?

The K20D has now surpassed the Canon 5D in terms of IQ and noise-quality in high-ISO. Also, I find that the AF in the K20D is more accurate (not faster, but more accurate) than the one in the 5D.

So, stay with me now: in 3-4 years time, the Pentax K30D or K40D should rival or be better than the 1Ds mkIII. And it would cost you 1/10th of the money.

There will always be a newer and better and more high-end camera. What average-joe needs to think about is what he can afford right now. The technology of today is sooo much cheaper in 2-3 years time.

If the camera you can afford to buy today is not good enough for you, then wait for tomorrow's camera. If life was easy we would all walk around with 1-1000mm f1.0 lenses that cost $1.

02-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why do you assume that I cant afford it?

Why do you assume that I want it to cost one dollar? I bet it would cost at least $2K

I'm in business here. And I want my dream cam to do my dream job with. Business doesnt wait 2-3 years for me to upgrade my equipment. Business happens in the time it takes to click the shutter.

To each his own.

p.s. I'm not an average joe.
02-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
The K20D has now surpassed the Canon 5D in terms of IQ and noise-quality in high-ISO.
THe K20D is no doubt a wonderful camera. But what do you base this specific claim on--that the K20D performs better in low light/high ISO than the full-frame Canon 5D? I would be happy if it really were true and I'm not challenging you. I'm just trying to distinguish fact from enthusiasm and wondering where you got that from.

Will
02-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
Why do you assume that I cant afford it?

Why do you assume that I want it to cost one dollar? I bet it would cost at least $2K

I'm in business here. And I want my dream cam to do my dream job with. Business doesnt wait 2-3 years for me to upgrade my equipment. Business happens in the time it takes to click the shutter.

To each his own.

p.s. I'm not an average joe.
I doubt you would get a build quality you are looking for with FF sensor for $2K ...think about double that at least.

Mike.

02-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just give me that sensor based tilt & shift, I'll sell everything I own for the new cam.
02-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
Just give me that sensor based tilt & shift, I'll sell everything I own for the new cam.
Sensor-based tilt&shift , that would not only cost a fortune, but also the 1st of its kind, which would ensure lots of hiccups along the way.
03-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Why separate K1D and K1D*? why not just have the K1D and has the same function as the Nikon D3 where the camera will auto crop the sensor, whether it has a FF lens or a Crop (DA) lens. So 15-20mp FF sensor, so in crop you can have 10mp+

Also, I would like more FPS Not going as far as having an "arms race" with CaNikon with 9-10fps, I would be happy with 6fps.
03-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think he meant more along the line of the Canon 1D and 1Ds. The 1D is cropped with extremely fast FPS, while the 1Ds is FF with more "normal" feature.
03-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I doubt you would get a build quality you are looking for with FF sensor for $2K ...think about double that at least.

Mike.
I'm cool with that.....its better than a $40,000 MF Digital......
And isnt a 1DsIII 4500?...never looked it up.
I think the 1Ds was like 6K when it came out right?

my numbers could be off, but four grand for the ultimate K1D would be about right
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
I think he meant more along the line of the Canon 1D and 1Ds. The 1D is cropped with extremely fast FPS, while the 1Ds is FF with more "normal" feature.
Yeah that is absolutely what I was thinking...

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
THe K20D is no doubt a wonderful camera. But what do you base this specific claim on--that the K20D performs better in low light/high ISO than the full-frame Canon 5D? I would be happy if it really were true and I'm not challenging you. I'm just trying to distinguish fact from enthusiasm and wondering where you got that from.

Will
thats what I was thinking but I didnt really want to argue with this kid.....
03-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

How about the K1D being a reasonable priced FF model in the same vein as the 5D but better built and specced, and priced around the $2500 mark. (£1500 sterling)

Then release a new model say called the LX1D (after Pentax's last Pro camera range) to be a full rival to the 1D Mk3 (but without the bugs) and D3.

Just a thought......
03-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
my numbers could be off, but four grand for the ultimate K1D would be about right

$4000 for a K1D.....?!

Aiming for the D3 and more expensive than the 5DMkII will probably be?

Let's keep it real and aim for the $1500-2000 bracket first don't you think?

Better beat that D300 before going after the D3 IMO...
03-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It's quite redudant to have 2 FF cameras. Admittedly, the LX1D can have more "features" than the K1D, but I don't know what kind of added features would warrant the premium.

To Pentax, features such as weather sealed, SR, dust-controlled mechanism are pretty much the standards. AF shoud be improved in order to compete in this segment, so is FPS.

A little higher MP, AF speed, and FPS would not justify the doubling in price in the 1Ds and D3 league.