Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
shifting gear overseas from AU to EU

dear All,

Most likely I will going to Europe later on this year and I will be there for a while.
Want to take with me K-5 , K-30 , K-01 and the Q with charges, batteries, adapters , tripods and number of lenses + laptops.
what is the most economical and safe way of doing it?

kind regards
jack

P.S.:I will be traveling on my own in economy class

03-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is a lot of gear you will be taking along. Can you reduce the amount?
When I travel overseas I normally take my camera, lenses and laptop on board as hand luggage.
All adaptors and chargers become a part of checked in luggage, since they can be replaced relatively easily if lost in transit.
In your case, I doubt very much that you will be able to fit all of that gear as on-board hand luggage, but I would be very nervous having the gear transported as checked in luggage.
I would choose as much of the most valuable gear to take on board, and take a risk with the rest as checked in - but well protected and locked luggage.
Enjoy your stay in Europe.
03-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I would put it all in your hand luggage if it will fit. Check their website for size and weight. Get one of those rolling mini suitcases of the correct dimensions. Don't go over weight - they do weigh it at times. When we moved to NL, on the way there the idiots seriously made us repack our hand luggage so that each one was under the limit (even though our total together was under). If over, I'd put everything bar the lenses in checked luggage. Next in line would be the laptops or at least their hard drives.
03-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What lens are you planning on taking? As VladM had mentioned above, why that many gears? I went to Europe with my DA15 DA18-250 Tammy 17-50 f2.8 and FA 43 and DA 18-55WR(for bad weather) and I thought I was over packed...From the gear in your signature I'd just take Sig 10-20, DA18-270, one of the fast fifties, maybe DA35Macro if you are into close up shots, and the body cap that is DA40XS on K-01 and Q as a 'carry anywhere' camera and enjoy the trip....

On a practical note, charges, batteries, adapters , tripods can all go into checked baggage no problem, I'd take the camera bodies and lenses with me as hand luggage as they are really not gentle with checked in luggages. Do you have a safe base that you can store the gear you don't use during the day?

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 03-11-2013 at 03:42 PM.
03-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Yes. lighter is better than heavier if you will have to carry all this stuff for any distance.

Something to consider about carry-on luggage.... Your international flight will likely have room for one of the ubiquitous roller bags. The same isn't always true for domestic flights within the EU. Regional planes often have smaller overhead storage bins and those roller bags will be collected at the plane and put into baggage the same as if you had checked them. Here in the U.S. the same can be true of some of the bigger planes flying within the U.S. simply because nearly everyone now has a carry-on roller bag and there isn't enough bin space. If your gear is something that really should be brought into the plane's cabin, you would be smart to pack it into a case that fits under the passenger seat.

Here is what I did.... I purchased a messenger-bag style photo case. I added a waist-strap in addition to the shoulder strap (it distributes the weight better on my body and keeps the bag from swinging). I purchased an equivalent sized and color (black is good) messenger-bag style laptop case. I removed the shoulder strap. I purchased two sturdy double-end clips from the pet shop. I put the two cases back to back and attach them together using their D-rings and the clips. So long as the total size does not exceed carry-on limits and there is only one shoulder strap, I have yet to have my combined setup questioned as being more than ONE carry-on item. If the combined unit won't fit in an overhead bin, I can separate them on board - or stow the combined unit under the seat at my feet. Once I have completed my flight(s), I can store the PC case inside my luggage and reduce the weight on my shoulder.

Something to consider - you CANNOT put Lithium Ion batteries into the cargo section of a plane. They MUST stay with you in the main cabin. This includes most laptop batteries and in many instances, camera batteries. This has been an international regulation for some time; Boeing 787 Dreamliners are a good example of why.
03-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Yes. lighter is better than heavier if you will have to carry all this stuff for any distance.

Something to consider about carry-on luggage.... Your international flight will likely have room for one of the ubiquitous roller bags. The same isn't always true for domestic flights within the EU. Regional planes often have smaller overhead storage bins and those roller bags will be collected at the plane and put into baggage the same as if you had checked them. Here in the U.S. the same can be true of some of the bigger planes flying within the U.S. simply because nearly everyone now has a carry-on roller bag and there isn't enough bin space. If your gear is something that really should be brought into the plane's cabin, you would be smart to pack it into a case that fits under the passenger seat.

Here is what I did.... I purchased a messenger-bag style photo case. I added a waist-strap in addition to the shoulder strap (it distributes the weight better on my body and keeps the bag from swinging). I purchased an equivalent sized and color (black is good) messenger-bag style laptop case. I removed the shoulder strap. I purchased two sturdy double-end clips from the pet shop. I put the two cases back to back and attach them together using their D-rings and the clips. So long as the total size does not exceed carry-on limits and there is only one shoulder strap, I have yet to have my combined setup questioned as being more than ONE carry-on item. If the combined unit won't fit in an overhead bin, I can separate them on board - or stow the combined unit under the seat at my feet. Once I have completed my flight(s), I can store the PC case inside my luggage and reduce the weight on my shoulder.

Something to consider - you CANNOT put Lithium Ion batteries into the cargo section of a plane. They MUST stay with you in the main cabin. This includes most laptop batteries and in many instances, camera batteries. This has been an international regulation for some time; Boeing 787 Dreamliners are a good example of why.
Let me just add one suggestion here.....try to ask your airline: generally, they will be accommodating if you explain and do not act entitled (e.g., are willing to pay a bit extra).....and if the agent you speak to is not, then try to call again and speak to somebody else. Airlines are, after all, in the business of making money and do so by schlepping repeat customers around (except for Southwest, of course which is making the bulk of their money on cargo)....

I, on occasion, had about 30 Kg of carry-on - work-related, fragile gear. I rang the airline, explained my peril, and worked out an arrangement where I was allowed to carry it on and get it stored in an in-cabin cupboard (not a bin)...their only constraint was "no access to the flight-cases while in flight, and deplane last to not hold up the rest of the cabin while we extricate your luggage".

Caveat, obviously: I'm a fairly frequent traveler (ok, that's an almost criminal understatement) and this was with an airline which I clock in excess of 250K miles with per year, so they may have accorded an exception based on that.

But, I'd call them and ask.

Regarding Lithium batteries, yeah, in your carry-on with them. Although, if you fly through a TSA-infested airport, they still may give you grief over those.