Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extension Tube K 100

Does anyone know if itīs a good buy?
I found it in the reviews, but no one has written anything about it. Its out for 35 $
PENTAX Auto Extension Tube K 100mm reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Im a total newbie to tubes, but i guess I can hook on my K 55 1,8 to this or the takumar 50 with the original adapter on the tube?

03-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cloapex Quote
Does anyone know if itīs a good buy?
I found it in the reviews, but no one has written anything about it. Its out for 35 $
PENTAX Auto Extension Tube K 100mm reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Im a total newbie to tubes, but i guess I can hook on my K 55 1,8 to this or the takumar 50 with the original adapter on the tube?
LOL! I have a slightly modified one for sale here. The tube itself is a great little macro extension. However, there are no "A" contacts or autofocusing contacts or screwdrive as it's an older accessory.

It will work fine with your K5 just in manual mode.
03-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
I mostly shoot manual even with my af lenses so thats no problem
I was mostly curious about how images comes out and if its hard focusing.
03-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter

How images come out and if it's hard focusing?
It's a tube, so there is no focusing as part of the tube. All the focusing is part of the lens. All a tube does is magnify, and allow closer focusing to your subject.

03-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You use the lens' focus ring only for rough focusing - The best way to fine focus using extension tubes is to move the camera rather than turn the focus ring on the lens. And the longer the extension, the more true this becomes. As a result, most of the really cool macro shots you see used both a tripod and a macro focusing rail. The rail fits between the tripod and the camera and has a fine rack & pinion mechanism to make very small changes in the distance between the subject and the camera's film/sensor. There are also two-way rails that permit very small lateral movements to adjust composition in macro shots.
03-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
You use the lens' focus ring only for rough focusing - The best way to fine focus using extension tubes is to move the camera rather than turn the focus ring on the lens. And the longer the extension, the more true this becomes. As a result, most of the really cool macro shots you see used both a tripod and a macro focusing rail. The rail fits between the tripod and the camera and has a fine rack & pinion mechanism to make very small changes in the distance between the subject and the camera's film/sensor. There are also two-way rails that permit very small lateral movements to adjust composition in macro shots.
Exactly...I left off the part of the focusing rail!
03-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #7

Original Poster
Alrighty then. I see.
But wood you guys go for this equipment or for some different, or just cut a pringles box?
03-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Alrighty then. I see.
But wood you guys go for this equipment or for some different, or just cut a pringles box?
To each his own. Every option has its pros & cons. My collection includes tubes, rails, bellows, auxiliary lenses, and recently here is my most frequent choice because I can use all of my exposure options:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/113756-pk...ml#post1965512
Be sure to skip down 3 posts for photos to go with the text...

Keep in mind that I'm not doing much with macro these days - it's more 'close focus' and mostly I'm doing more for record purposes rather than 'fine art'. It doesn't mean I get sloppy, but at the same time I'll call it 'good enough' sooner. The exception is when I am digitizing something from my slide archives. Then I tend to get pretty fussy. I'm sure at some point I'll once again become enthused about capturing fine detail and color from the world around me.

03-11-2013, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

I can't stand the video that was here.
So I took it down.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 06-10-2014 at 12:42 PM.