Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #1

'This or that' question

Hi all,

This is my first pentaxforums post and just got a k-5 w/ 18-135 kit a month ago and love it. I also have an x100 that I love. If you were in my situation, would you buy a FA 31mm or sell the x100 and get the x100s. I know it's a weird 'this or that' question, but selling my x100 and upgrading to the x100s will still lead me to spend ~500 dollars and i'm wondering if i'm better off just holding onto my x100 and buying a FA 31mm to fulfill my LBA. I am enamored with both the 35mm and 50mm equivalent focal lengths so that's not a deciding factor. It's basically buying a whole new (greatly) improved camera with a lens that is exactly that of what I have already, or getting a FA 31mm which i hear is incredible. Does anyone have both the FA 31mm and x100 and comment on lens properties such as sharpness etc.?

Thanks

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

03-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which camera do you use the most? If it's the k-5 get the 31mm. If it's the x100 and you think the x100s is better get that. Simple.

Unless you want to get the k-01 and then you can use the 31mm on that as well as the k-5. I recently got a k-01 and it makes a wonderful companion/backup for my k-5 and fits quite nicely in my jacket pocket with the 40mm ltd.
03-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You are paying early adopter tax with the x100s. When the X100 was release here it was 1,200+, now it's 750 new and under $600 second hand, that's digital camera price depreciation for you.
03-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #4

Original Poster

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Which camera do you use the most? If it's the k-5 get the 31mm. If it's the x100 and you think the x100s is better get that. Simple.

Unless you want to get the k-01 and then you can use the 31mm on that as well as the k-5. I recently got a k-01 and it makes a wonderful companion/backup for my k-5 and fits quite nicely in my jacket pocket with the 40mm ltd.
I used the x100 as my everywhere camera, but I just got the k-5 and haven't gotten many opportunities to use it because i take less shots in the winter. I guess I'm asking if the k-5 with 31mm has better image quality than the x100 lens in terms of sharpness, sharpness wide-open, micro-contrast, and color rendering. If it does I think I will get it, if not i'll get the x100s mainly for its faster autofocus compared to the x100.

03-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Original Poster

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
You are paying early adopter tax with the x100s. When the X100 was release here it was 1,200+, now it's 750 new and under $600 second hand, that's digital camera price depreciation for you.
Yeah I hate playing the depreciation game. But as I see it, my limited edition black x100 is depreciating now as well and might want to sell it far before the x100s reduces in price to get the most cash out of it.
03-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tomjones_85 Quote
I used the x100 as my everywhere camera, but I just got the k-5 and haven't gotten many opportunities to use it because i take less shots in the winter. I guess I'm asking if the k-5 with 31mm has better image quality than the x100 lens in terms of sharpness, sharpness wide-open, micro-contrast, and color rendering. If it does I think I will get it, if not i'll get the x100s mainly for its faster autofocus compared to the x100.
I very much doubt the fuji 23/2 lens is as good as the FA31, since, well, almost no lenses are as good as a FA31, however you get a free camera with the Fuji 23/2.
03-12-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Keep in mind the "incredibleness" of the FA31 has less to do with sharpness and more to do with smooth transition to out-of-focus and nearly guaranteed smooth backgrounds. You literally can't tell where it goes from being in-focus to out-of-focus. This can reduce the illusion of sharpness. In fact, if you end up with a slightly front-focusing FA31 and you don't set the AF Fine adjustment on your K-5 you'll get the whole scene looking fuzzy. It may be your most challenging lens to use well. But it can also do things few other lenses can do - possibly no other lenses this wide! And, like the FA77, there's almost no discernible difference in IQ between f/1.8 and f/2.2, meaning it's one of the few lenses that performs near-optimum wide-open.

But if you mostly want images to appear really sharp forget the FA31 - get the DA*55 instead, which both looks and is sharp, but at times (only sometimes, with certain backgrounds) is the polar opposite of the FA31 (with backgrounds that are anything but smooth). Still, at other times the backgrounds are quite beautiful, and it's the sharpest fast lens Pentax sells.
03-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
HSV
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Keep in mind the "incredibleness" of the FA31 has less to do with sharpness and more to do with smooth transition to out-of-focus and nearly guaranteed smooth backgrounds. You literally can't tell where it goes from being in-focus to out-of-focus. This can reduce the illusion of sharpness. In fact, if you end up with a slightly front-focusing FA31 and you don't set the AF Fine adjustment on your K-5 you'll get the whole scene looking fuzzy. It may be your most challenging lens to use well. But it can also do things few other lenses can do - possibly no other lenses this wide! And, like the FA77, there's almost no discernible difference in IQ between f/1.8 and f/2.2, meaning it's one of the few lenses that performs near-optimum wide-open.

But if you mostly want images to appear really sharp forget the FA31 - get the DA*55 instead, which both looks and is sharp, but at times (only sometimes, with certain backgrounds) is the polar opposite of the FA31 (with backgrounds that are anything but smooth). Still, at other times the backgrounds are quite beautiful, and it's the sharpest fast lens Pentax sells.

Completely out of topic question...

I wonder what's your opinion on the FA31 against the Sigma 30 1.4.

I have them both, and I think the Sigma has a very similar "graduated bokeh" effect...not quite the same and I can't seem up with a correct way to describe it, but these two are quickly becoming my favorites in regards to bokeh.

03-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The FA31 is razor sharp and has the smoothest bokeh of any Pentax lens in production, this in a wide angle lens (on film), what's not to like
03-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
Completely out of topic question...

I wonder what's your opinion on the FA31 against the Sigma 30 1.4.

I have them both, and I think the Sigma has a very similar "graduated bokeh" effect...not quite the same and I can't seem up with a correct way to describe it, but these two are quickly becoming my favorites in regards to bokeh.
Sorry, I haven't used the Sigma 30/1.4, so I can't compare them.