Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
my original post

The point of my original post was that it seems like the K200 is signaling a shift in pentax marketing strategy. With the K100/110, Pentax seemed to be staking out a "best value" position in the low-end dslr market. At least based on initial prices, it seems that pentax is abandoning this approach, which it is certainly entitled to do. But I do believe there will be a marketing disadvantage in not having a product at a similar price to competitors like Nikon, Canon, and Sony.

Paul

03-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
The point of my original post was that it seems like the K200 is signaling a shift in pentax marketing strategy. With the K100/110, Pentax seemed to be staking out a "best value" position in the low-end dslr market. At least based on initial prices, it seems that pentax is abandoning this approach, which it is certainly entitled to do. But I do believe there will be a marketing disadvantage in not having a product at a similar price to competitors like Nikon, Canon, and Sony.

Paul
do you know what the initial value of the K100/110 was?

do you know what the initial value of the k100/110 was anywhere other than the states?

i still dont see how you are "confused" by the current state of events.
03-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
so now i'm supposed to pay people off so they can agree with me?
Well, no. Nowhere did I say I'd agree with you even after the transaction.
03-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
original price

I don't know what the original list price of a K100d was. I would, actually, assume that the list price of each entry-level generation would remain the same or drop (at least in native currency - possibly currency fluctuations are affecting the price here in the U.S.) I don't know/care about the price anywhere but in the U.S.

What I do know is:

A few months ago: I could easily purchase a new Pentax DSLR for $400 or less.

Now, the cheapest readily-available Pentax DSLR costs well over $600.

That seems to me to be somewhat extraordinary given the comparable price movements on Sony, Canon, and Nikon DSLRs.

I have found at least one new K100d priced under $400, but have decided to back off a while and see what develops.

Paul

03-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But again, you are comparing a number of different things. No other company has a new DSLR available for $400 either. What Canons and Nikons you find in that price range are all old models, as old or older than the K10D or K100D Super. When they are replaced, their successors will be at a much higher initial price point just like the Pentax's. The only difference will be that they so overproduced them that they will still be available when the new models are released and for a while after. Pentax is far from abandoning anything. They've always offered a camera that was better than the other brands at the same price point, and they are still doing so. They've never offered the lowest price out there. Comparing any Pentax to a D40 is ridiculous, no matter what the price.
03-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
But again, you are comparing a number of different things. No other company has a new DSLR available for $400 either...... Comparing any Pentax to a D40 is ridiculous, no matter what the price.
I actually kind of disagree. If Pentax pricing is all about the 'best bang for your buck', then a not-quite-obsolete D40 may be seen as quite the bargain over a K200D, and the longer the D40 is available the more sales it could leach off the K200D. The fact that a consumer can get something with a 'Nikon' badge (and a salesperson no doubt reassuring the customer that the D40 is a great camera for the price - which it is), makes a soon-to-be discontinued product a legitimate competitor for a newly introduced, and better-specced camera.
03-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #52

Huh? As Jodocast said, you can't realy compare the price of N/C previous entry level with Pentax newest model. Sure, the absolute lowest price might be a C/N at the moment, but that is only because C/N have the production capacity to phase out old models more slowly (or financial muscle to risk keeping them in stock).

Amazon.com
Canon Digital Rebel XTi - $528.88
Nikon D60 - $629.95

Both are cheaper than K200D, but with K200D you get weather sealing, SR in house and a nice PETNAX logo. Also, Amazon still shows K100D Super in stock (new) at $429.00.

Once N/C start phasing out their old models, K200D will seem like a nice option. Would to me, at least. And if the K200D is sold bundled with the 18-55II and that lens performs as well as it does on a K20D...