Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Confused over Pentax DSLR models

I'm confused regarding the direction of the Pentax DSLR product line. The K100D Super seems to be in low/non-supply, yet the K200 is neither:

1. available

nor

2. anywhere near the entry-level price range.

Is Pentax going to continue offering entry-level models, and if so, what will the entry-level model it be?

Paul

02-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm confused regarding the direction of the Pentax DSLR product line. The K100D Super seems to be in low/non-supply, yet the K200 is neither:

1. available

nor

Is Pentax going to continue offering entry-level models, and if so, what will the entry-level model it be?

Paul

"entry level price range".....

you want it to be free?

its a refined K10D for about the same price.

the DSLR market is currently seeing the lowest prices EVER... EHH_ VER_. I dont get why people complain.
02-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #3

Unfortunately it seems Pentax doesn't have enough manufacturing capacity to have a smooth transition between models. Stores in my area have had no Pentax cameras for about 6 weeks now.

It looks like Nikon may have "entry level" pricing market to itself unless Canon keeps manufacturing the XTi after the XSi is available. I guess the K200d street price could be lower than expected too.
02-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
price

No, I don't expect the entry-level Pentax to be free. I think the K100D Super is worth probably a mid-$400 price and its replacement absolutely needs to be in the same price range. From what I have read the proposed K200D seems to be a minor improvement (and I'm not sure its ancient 10mp sensor will be much if any of a practical improvement) for an outrageous increase in price.

It doesn't matter to me (and a lot of other people) if a $5000 camera is now available for $1000, if I have only $500 to spend.

Paul

02-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

No, I don't expect the entry-level Pentax to be free. I think the K100D Super is worth probably a mid-$400 price and its replacement absolutely needs to be in the same price range. From what I have read the proposed K200D seems to be a minor improvement (and I'm not sure its ancient 10mp sensor will be much if any of a practical improvement) for an outrageous increase in price.

It doesn't matter to me (and a lot of other people) if a $5000 camera is now available for $1000, if I have only $500 to spend.

Paul
K100 Super retailed at $699 US. It is not sold near that price anymore. Expect a price drop with the K200 as well, but it won't drop to low levels on launch, you'll have to wait several months after it's release.

You missed you best chance with the K10 for a little over 500 after rebates. K10 is a noticeable improvement over K100D in terms of controls and customizations.

Try picking up a used K100D, you don't need the Super unless you expect to use SDM lens. It should be well within your budget.
02-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
prices again

There's no urgency for me - I'm happy with my K100D and two lenses, but I had been looking for the new models to add a second body and was just shocked by the prices. Perhaps the prices of the new models will drop (with or without a rebate) close to the current models, and if not perhaps used prices (which seem pretty outrageous at the moment, probably due to the shortage of new cameras) will become more appealing.

Paul
02-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks to me that they're trying to get out of that and into higher margin sales.

But, I think given the stiff competition the K200D faces, it's going to be pushed down in price significantly after launch, weathersealing or no.

We'll see!

02-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

1. available

nor

Paul
Hi Paul,
In Australia you can buy the K200D online, today, for $869 aud which is great buying, The K10D was some $1069 and the K20D $1539 (all body only prices).

For a 10mpx weather sealed dslr I reckon that is a pretty sharp price....and I am keeping myself in check ...for now.

PS....and in stock for immediate delivery

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 02-29-2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: see ps
02-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Paul
so you expect a multi national corporation to bend over just because you cant save up some green?
02-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
so you expect a multi national corporation to bend over just because you cant save up some green?
It'd better well, or it's going to sell poorly. I couldn't care less that Pentax is a multi-national corporation; it exists to serve me, and if it doesn't I'll find another brand that does. Entry level is defined to be the $450 price range, and Pentax doesn't currently have a product in that range with the demise of the K100D Super. Pentax is fighting an uphill battle and needs every weapon, especially price. The point is not to sell more gear to Pentax aficionados but to bring more photographers into the brand, and price (or value, same thing) has been a big part of Pentax's success so far.
02-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
It'd better well, or it's going to sell poorly.
I can promise you that it won't sell poorly.
The stores will be lucky to keep them on their shelves for the first couple of months. Until the supply catches up to the demand a little.

Pentax has a very good product even at their suggested retail value, and people are starting to realize it and line up for them.
03-01-2008, 02:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

What camera body can you buy at $450.00? The price of the K100D was a bargin, we might not see again. I don't think the competition is selling at $450.00.

As for availibility amd supply, yup Pentax missed the mark. They sold more then expected. I doubt they make that mistake again.

Prices will be adjusted to match the market. Pentax will come out as a value leader. Do you want a D60? even priced less then the K200D? The D60 will not be a $450.00 camera. No reason the K200D should be.
03-01-2008, 05:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
What camera body can you buy at $450.00? The price of the K100D was a bargin, we might not see again. I don't think the competition is selling at $450.00.
The Nikon D40 is now, and so is the Olympus E510. The D60 isn't there now, but it will be.
03-01-2008, 06:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
"entry level price range".....

you want it to be free?

its a refined K10D for about the same price.

the DSLR market is currently seeing the lowest prices EVER... EHH_ VER_. I dont get why people complain.

Is the K200D a refined K10D? hmm, I didn't realise that.
03-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Is the K200D a refined K10D? hmm, I didn't realise that.
same sensor + weather sealing and upgraded SR, still runs on AA's and more software tweaks...

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The Nikon D40 is now, and so is the Olympus E510. The D60 isn't there now, but it will be.
yes and those cameras are better than a K200D how?

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
It'd better well, or it's going to sell poorly. I couldn't care less that Pentax is a multi-national corporation; it exists to serve me, and if it doesn't I'll find another brand that does. Entry level is defined to be the $450 price range, and Pentax doesn't currently have a product in that range with the demise of the K100D Super. Pentax is fighting an uphill battle and needs every weapon, especially price. The point is not to sell more gear to Pentax aficionados but to bring more photographers into the brand, and price (or value, same thing) has been a big part of Pentax's success so far.
go, find another brand, come back when you're satisfied with your purchase of another system and tell me how wrong i am.