Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
yes and those cameras are better than a K200D how?
Gooshin, reread the question to which Matt was responding. The question (from KungPOW) was, "What camera body can you buy at $450.00? I don't think that the competition is selling at $450." And in response to that question + statement, Matt mentioned the Nikon D40 and the Olympus E510, both available today on Amazon.com for under $500 (body only). I don't think Matt wasn't saying these were better than the K200D. He was just answering the question that was asked.

Note that the K200D, body only, is selling on Aamzon.com today (3-1-2008) for over $700. I might add that the Nikon D40, for all of its limitations, is not only cheap, it's a Nikon, and there are unquestionably some advantages to using Nikon equipment. In the long run, cost isn't one of those advantages, but, well, some people have their price point. I'm one of those people. Mine is a little higher than $450, but it's well below $5000.

For what it's worth, I can't think of a reason to buy a k200D so long as the K10D is still available, especially when it's available for the same price or less.

Will

03-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Is the K200D a refined K10D? hmm, I didn't realise that.
No, I would not exchange my K10d for a K200d.
03-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

same sensor + weather sealing and upgraded SR, still runs on AA's and more software tweaks...

Same sensor, yes...but 2 very different camera bodies.
03-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

go, find another brand, come back when you're satisfied with your purchase of another system and tell me how wrong i am.
I don't need to do that to tell you how wrong you are, and belligerent too... not sure why.

The OP has a good point. I bought a K100D Super kit for €400 but the K200D is €800. I happen to think that a doubling of price is a significant change. It makes no difference that the K200D is well worth the price, or that the K100D was discounted, or whatever. The basic fact is the same, and will impact people with not so much to spend.

Also, I have no idea why you think the K200D is an upgraded K10D since certainly Pentax doesn't or they would have named it differently. Want to know what the K200D is missing?

* no pentaprism for a better viewfinder
* no second control dial for better ergonomics
* no HyperProgram modes
* smaller buffer
* fewer flash options
* likely other stuff I cannot think of right now

The first three of these are arguably more important than some of the fluff added:
* "Dynamic Range Enlargement"
* dust alert

As for buying a system, Nikon and Canon stomp all over Pentax in this regard. Ever try to rent a specialty Pentax lens for a big event?

I love my Pentax but let's stay realistic.

03-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
No, I would not exchange my K10d for a K200d.
of course you wouldnt, they take identical pictures!
03-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Gooshin, reread the question to which Matt was responding. The question (from KungPOW) was, "What camera body can you buy at $450.00? I don't think that the competition is selling at $450." And in response to that question + statement, Matt mentioned the Nikon D40 and the Olympus E510, both available today on Amazon.com for under $500 (body only). I don't think Matt wasn't saying these were better than the K200D. He was just answering the question that was asked.

Note that the K200D, body only, is selling on Aamzon.com today (3-1-2008) for over $700. I might add that the Nikon D40, for all of its limitations, is not only cheap, it's a Nikon, and there are unquestionably some advantages to using Nikon equipment. In the long run, cost isn't one of those advantages, but, well, some people have their price point. I'm one of those people. Mine is a little higher than $450, but it's well below $5000.

For what it's worth, I can't think of a reason to buy a k200D so long as the K10D is still available, especially when it's available for the same price or less.

Will
the question in question has a comperative undertone to it "ohh hey look, Nikon is selling stuff for X amount, pentax should to"

when a) pentax is offering a new product b) the product they are offering is better than what their competitors are offering (body wise)

therefore the question is irrelevant.

you dont compare last years bling for todays price with todays bling... thats not how it works.
03-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

The OP has a good point. I bought a K100D Super kit for €400 but the K200D is €800.
so you too want new technology for the price of old technology?

all of you, i want cheap stuff as much as the next guy, but this "outrage" and "confusion" with Pentax's pricing is ridiculous, there is nothing "confusing" about it.

03-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
of course you wouldnt, they take identical pictures!
Do they? as we are yet to see anything from the K200D I don't know that we can make that claim.

To the posters here that work in camera stores: can you take a few shots with the K200D?, I for one would really like to see some before passing judgement on this camera.
Cheers.
03-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Hi twinda1

Your comment made collapse in a fit of giggles when you said:
QuoteQuote:
Pentax is a multi-national corporation; it exists to serve me
Whoa there tiger, before you throw all your toys out of the pram in a fit of petulance, for your benefit I've just concluded a 'live' video-conference with Hoya's Board of Directors in Tokyo and although they considered your naive assertion for a second or so, I'm afraid that Japanese obscenity laws prevent me from printing their collective reply........lol !!
In all seriousness, if you can't stomach the initial asking price of the new K200D, I'd tactfully suggest that you either wait for approx six months until the initial consignments have sold to the early adopters and the market has had a chance to settle down or alternatively, opt for another brand such as N***n ? Having chosen this latter option, don't forget to factor in the substantial costs of purchasing a few of their overpriced VR stabilised lenses to gloss over the inconvenient truth that they stupidly omitted to include in-body SR at the design stage in their range of DSLR cameras. All of a sudden, it's not such a cheap proposition as you first thought, is it ? I'm not claiming that Pentax are perfect by any means, but as far as overall 'bang for buck' is concerned,
IMHO they usually leave their immediate competitors pricing strategies looking particularly stupid, which is no mean achievement in today's cut-throat business environment !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-01-2008 at 06:35 PM.
03-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Do they? as we are yet to see anything from the K200D I don't know that we can make that claim.

To the posters here that work in camera stores: can you take a few shots with the K200D?, I for one would really like to see some before passing judgement on this camera.
Cheers.
same sensor

same lenses

i fail to see how the IQ would be different,

unless the sensor is in fact different. but pentax claims that its not so..

Last edited by Gooshin; 03-01-2008 at 06:41 PM.
03-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
It'd better well, or it's going to sell poorly. I couldn't care less that Pentax is a multi-national corporation; it exists to serve me. (Mua ha ha ha haaaa....)
Actually, it's the other way around, champ. Apart from the Good Samaritans, there is no organisation on Earth set up to serve you, or anybody else. And this includes churches, universities and governments. Don't delude yourself.

Also, be patient; the K200D will drop in price over the next 6-12 months. It probably won't end up costing $450, but it should be able to easily hit the $600 mark.

Last edited by Miserere; 03-01-2008 at 07:24 PM.
03-01-2008, 07:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Actually, it's the other way around, champ. Apart from the Good Samaritans, there is no organisation on Earth set up to serve you, or anybody else. And this includes churches, universities and governments. Don't delude yourself.

Also, be patient; the K200D will drop in price over the next 6-12 months. It probably won't end up costing $450, but it should be able to easily hit the $600 mark.
How true! As far as the price is concerned history indicates it will drop to $540. MSRP X .6 X 1.25=$540.00. Same for the K20D $1,300 X.6 X 1.25= $975. And if either one of them bomb look for a $100 rebate off those prices.

Last edited by regken; 03-01-2008 at 07:59 PM.
03-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
same sensor

same lenses

i fail to see how the IQ would be different,

unless the sensor is in fact different. but pentax claims that its not so..
... and you are probably right....but I will still wait until I see something from the K200D ya never know what tricks those clever Pentax techs had up their sleeve!
03-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
How true! As far as the price is concerned history indicates it will drop to $540. MSRP X .6 X 1.25=$540.00. Same for the K20D $1,300 X.6 X 1.25= $975. And if either one of them bomb look for a $100 rebate off those prices.
Why multiply by .6 then by 1.25?? Why not just .75?
03-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Does anybody here remember when Canon brought out the Rebel at a "stunning" price of $999? Regardless of what everybody else may or may not be offering at whatever price, let's reflect a moment on just how darn lucky we are to get any of these cameras for under $1000.