Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #1

How to use built in k-r flash with old lenses

Hello my name is Giordy and i have an important question,

I recently got a pentax K-R and i had a bunch of old pentax cameras laying around the house, so i took out the 135mm lenses and placed them on the K-R.

Everything is ok but i had one specific (maybe dum?) question.

How do i use my flash in manual mode? Because i'm used to it just popping up, and since im using MF now, it won't just pop up anymore.

I'm a COMPLETE beginner so i have no clue ..

THANKYOUUUUUUUU

03-12-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a button on the front, to the left of the lcd screen. it says UP and there is a lighting bolt drawn. The lighting bolt symbolizes a flash discharge, this button makes the flash pop up. Next you will want to input the flash parameters. I don't know much about actually using the pop up flash, since I never do
03-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
Problem with flash!

Thanks for the quick reply !!

Ok, i had figured that out in the meantime, but now, i have a new problem...

When i take a picture with the flash , the picture comes up completely white (Overexposure?)
Anyway, do you know how to fix that problem?

Thanks !!!
03-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Forum Member

If the lenses are "M" series then the flash is firing at full power. You need to close down the aperture until you get the correct exposure. Also the shutter speed will be 1/180 or slower. You can also calculate the aperture/distance(meters)/iso based on the flash power ratings but trial and error is faster.
Here are some numbers I had calculated for my K-200D flash.
f13@2 meters@iso400, f/8.7@3 meters,f6.9@4 meters.f5.2@5 meters

06-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like to turn my flash down to -2, focus with the aperture fairly wide open (so that there is enough light to see by,) then close the aperture click by click while taking a test shot using the turned-down flash on each aperture click. Somewhere around the middle of the aperture ring, you should hit a "sweet spot" that renders a very lovely, correctly exposed photo using the pop-up flash on a K-r in conjunction with an aperture that otherwise might be too closed.

You can also try this handy trick: Wrap a Kleenex around your flash and secure it with a rubber band. This makes a great cheap flash diffuser. It will further allow you to control the brightness of the flash. Make sure to allow one layer of tissue over the flash bulb; don't wad it up. Works great. Try that at various aperture openings with your manual lenses, even in broad daylight where it can add some "fill flash" to an otherwise backlit subject.
06-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter

You can also trick your built-in flash to operate in P-TTL mode with pre-A series lenses. Short out the 'A' contact on the camera body and it will think all lenses are A-series (no more flashing F - - -). Set an aperture on the body and set the corresponding aperture on the lens. You may need to do some minor adjustment, so plan on taking a test shot or two and adjust the aperture on the body (but not the lens) accordingly. From here on out, you can use the pair of apertures you came up with (body & lens) for flash shots within a moderately wide distance of that used for your test shots. At this point any slight under/over exposure can be easily handled in post processing.
06-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter

This is good advice. I would want to know how shorting out the A contact will affect modern DA lenses, if at all ... Thanks
06-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
This is good advice. I would want to know how shorting out the A contact will affect modern DA lenses, if at all ... Thanks
It has no affect at all on A-series lenses (with the aperture ring in the 'A' position) or newer - why? Because all these lenses also short the A contact when you mount them.

The only negative, if you consider it as a negative, is your metering with pre-A series lenses is a bit different. You should insulate the contact areas on your pre-A lens so your camera body knows the aperture range. I use 3M Magic tape.

On my K-30, I set my exposure dial to M (manual) - set the lens to wide open (the camera thinks the lens is A capable).
Press and hold the green button and adjust the shutter and aperture to zero the exposure scale (two wheels makes this really easy, you have to swap wheel function on the K-r). Adjust the lens aperture to the same value as shown on the camera body. Shoot.

You can extrapolate how to short the A contact and add insulators from this post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/113756-pk...ml#post1965512

Follow the links and be sure to scroll down a couple posts for the photos. I did this in order to mount an A50/1.7 lens on a macroconverter that didn't support any of the lens functions specific to the A-series.

In my opinion, Pentax put us through all this to protect people from themselves .... none of it would be necessary if Pentax had retained a means to read the position of the aperture ring as used on older bodies.