Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by guyni Quote
thank you all for your help,
regarding the RAW, I haven't been using RAW format with my old camera and I don't see it changing since I tend not to post processing my photos (maybe just a little bit since my D90 light measuring wasn't that great along with the sensor's colour picking).
I shoot mostly landscapes and static object and people so extremely fast shutter speed is not the feature that matters most.
How ever I tend to switch between 'average' and 'spot' measuring and lock quite often and use DoF preview.
How does the K-30 cope with these functions does it have dedicated buttons or programmable ones for that without them canceling each other in regular use?
I must say that the lack of an upper info LCD is lowering the score for the K-30 since I find it very useful in general use, but maybe I can grow out on the lack of it the other features and image quality are better in the K-30...
As other posters have said, the K5 has a dedicated spot/average metering switch, also seperate ae lock and AF buttons. On the K-30 you need to use the info button to bring up a quick menu and change metering in that and there is only one af/ael button, you need to choose one function or the other. Can't say that I have noticed any real difference in IQ, even though I shoot RAW pretty much exclusively and also shoot often in low light ( e.g. 1/20 f2.8 6400)

03-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks!
Is there an option to "reprogram" certain button/s?
In my D90 there was a button that was designated as 'programmable' and could be assigned to do one of a few predefined functions. I programmed it to switch to 'spot' light measuring from any current "hardcoded" measuring mode. It was very convenient and I used it a lot.
Is there something like this in the K-5?
03-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The RAW/Fx button can be set to One Push File Format, Exposure Bracketing, Digital Preview, Electronic Level, or Composition Adjust.

The AF button can be set to Enable AF or Cancel AF (Disables AF with the shutter release while the button is pressed).

The Preview Dial can display either the Optical Preview or the Digital Preview.

The Shutter Release button can be set to Enable AF, Off, or Off (Live View Only).

In addition you can change the functions of the E-dials and the Green Button depending on exposure mode.

The K-30 is largely the same except there is no Preview dial, AE-L button, or AF select button. The RAW/Fx button can be programmed to select the AF Active area and the AF/AE-L button can be set to AF1, AF2, Cancel AF or AE-L.

AFAIK there is no way to set the metering mode on the k-30 other than using a menu.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-13-2013 at 06:34 AM.