Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10d Anomoly? Or me?

I have been using my K10d for many months. and love it.
However, last couple of weeks I have taken photos couple of times, viewed the result on the screen. Fine!
Came back a little later and up came "Camera unable to display this image".
Many photos still viewable but in some isolated instances this is what came up.
What is happening, any suggestions.
It would not surprise if it is me and not the camera, so have a good chuckle at my expense if you like, but please can somebody explain.

Thanks a lot, guys and gals.

02-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I would bet that it's the card. First format it in the camera after transferring the files to a hard drive. If that doesn't help, try a new card.

It's in the process of a slow death. Swap cards and shoot for awhile with a new card. if the problem disappears, toss the old card.
02-29-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter
I would bet you are spot on. The card I have been using has been in use for some time and I feel its about at the end of its useful life.
Thanks a lot for your time.
Regards....... Bruce.
02-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A question along these lines:

What is the life of a card? Are some better then others? What speed does the K10D need? Does the speed of the card matter?

I could "google" this but what fun is that?

Bramela, Great marco shots in your gallery!

Eric.

02-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

KungPOW,

I'd say that a cards life most likely depends upon the conditions you live in.

If it's going from hot to cold constantly it won't live as long as a constant temp.

In your case I don't know if the wet environment can take it's toll, but it's a possibility.

I like SanDisk cards, however I use Lexar cards in my event camera.

And the faster the card the better in the K10D. It doesn't mare as much with the K1*0 models, since the buffer isn't the fastest out there.
03-01-2008, 01:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks KungPOW (Eric) for those positive comments.
Regarding life of card, I have no idea really, but this one is obviously sending the message its had enough. Its an SD 2G card and I have been using it on and off for about 6 months.
I suppose nothing last forever. The way I am feeling these days, I certainly dont.
Thank God for Pentax camera gear and photography, keeps me sane at times.
03-01-2008, 02:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It dosen't rain here all the time...

Not raining now. Oh Wait. ok just a drizzle.

Ok it stopped. not raining now.

Uhmmm... Yep yup full rain now. Sigh....

Dreaming of the blue interior skys.....

03-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
It dosen't rain here all the time...

Not raining now. Oh Wait. ok just a drizzle.

Ok it stopped. not raining now.

Uhmmm... Yep yup full rain now. Sigh....

Dreaming of the blue interior skys.....
The one good thing about rain in Vancouver is that no matter how much you get, you know it's always worse for the folks in West Van. And they can afford to be wherever they want to avoid the rain.
03-01-2008, 02:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

BTW, how do you use your card? Do you delete a lot and rarely format? I have a habit to format every time after transferring the pictures to my computer And that happens after every shooting session. i.e. several times a week. I use delete only very rarely.

I would assume it makes a difference if you merely delete the pictures on the card. If I remember right these cards have a FAT file system, and if you have ever used Windows 98 Operating system you will know how that makes your hard drive, it gets fragmented real soon.
03-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #10

Six months seems like a ludicrously short lifespan for an SD card.
03-01-2008, 03:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have that problem when I drop my pictures in the Mac G4 at work. The pictures are still on the card, but can't be accessed by the camera or my HP computer at home. If I want to download in both computer, I have to go to the HP first, then the G4. Formatting the card in the camera doesn't seem to make a difference. Very strange....
03-01-2008, 03:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

My response to the question is because I had the same thing happen to a Toshiba card 4-5 months ago. It did what Bruce's card was doing and then one day just ceased to operate. Although I had a couple of cards, this one was in the camera most of the time. So I did a bit of research on cards to see if this is normal. With the standard speed cards from a number of suppliers, it appears tht owners are reporting lots of card failures but the better cards are lasting. So getting an Ultra or Extreme is worth it in the long run.

My Extreme III's have been rock solid and the only card I will own now. Much faster as well.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 03-01-2008 at 11:37 AM.
03-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I find that post about frequent formatting rather interesting.. Yes I download rather often, dont we all. Take photos, want to see them and work on them. I dont often wipe photos off card however, keepers that is.
Perhaps that regular. formatting maybe worth investigating. Any other thoughts on that one?
I personally feel, that Peter is closer to it. IMHO it is the card being faulty rather than other reasons. I have canned it anyway and turned to a new card. I have a number of others so itwill soon clarify if there is a problem, I reckon.
Incidentally the cards I use are all sandisk, 2gb and 4gb. Are sandisk a good brand compared to others?
I havent had trouble before.
Thanks for all the info guys!

Last edited by Bramela; 03-01-2008 at 11:35 AM.
03-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've tried a few different cards - some were just too good to be true, and others never a problem at all.

The only errors I've had were with a 'fake' SanDisk card some goof tried to sell me on freakBay, and another no-name brand one which was famed to be 4GB SDHC at a fraction of the price (also on eekBay).

The fake SanDisk card just gave me errors with almost every shot taken, right from the beginning, and the no-name one kept allowing me to take photos but then had errors on every image saved on the card beyond 1GB of storage. Needless to say I asked for my money back on both, and vowed never to go cheap with such vital pieces of equipment.

I then went with Toshiba class 2 and 4 cards with my K100D, and never experienced a problem since. After getting the K10D, I picked up a couple of 4GB SanDisk Extreme III SDHC cards from a fellow forum member, which are blisteringly fast - beyond the K10D's 10Mb/sec write speed limit. Worth every cent.

Which brings me to the question: how fast is the K20D's write speed, and are these Extreme III cards able to handle that speed?

Last edited by Ash; 03-01-2008 at 10:49 PM.
03-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have been using a Sandisk Ultra II 1gb for almost 9 months now and it's fine, as is a 2gb purchased in october. It's one of the best (if not the best) brands of memory cards out there, just watch for the fakes, they're everywhere. Original cards are pure black, have reflective paint in the writings, the label is glossy not matte, the lock switch is gray, and the small horizontal line in the bottom is recessed, not printed. Good luck