Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WR and built in flash

Okay, so I have managed to figure out (the easy way) that trying to use an external flash in the rain is the fast road to a literally electrifying experience. But what about the built in flash on my K-7? is it as sealed as the rest of the camera?

03-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The in-built flash is WR (on the K-7/K-5). It does not mean that it will give you good results in intense rain.

I used outdoord the flash in the rain. I had no issue with WR, but I do take care of the gear, wiping out water droplet regularly, incl. before cosing down the flash.

Hope that the comment may help.
03-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It should be.
03-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I figured it would be, but it never hurts to ask.

03-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Thanks guys. I figured it would be, but it never hurts to ask.
My only experience of using the built in flash with a WR Pentax in heavy rain was with my K2OD, and this was the only time I have had a Pentax die on me (It did revive after two days in a box with some silica gel packs) I have used my K5 and K30 in the rain with no ill effects, but have not risked raising the flash!!
03-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It does work, but you get a picture filled with illuminated rain drops, because the flash is so close to the lens. May be used to artistic effect, but in my efforts looks like user error.
I'm slightly worried about the heat of the flash being suddenly cooled by the rain and maybe cracking the plastic flash lens. This hasn't happened yet obviously... But I have seen melted built in flashes, so they do get hot if over used.
03-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
It does work, but you get a picture filled with illuminated rain drops, because the flash is so close to the lens. May be used to artistic effect, but in my efforts looks like user error.
This is similar to the problem with using the built-in flash on compact cameras put into underwater housings for scuba dives. Particles suspended in the water that you may not notice normally all act like miniature reflectors with extra lighting. The flare just past your lens effectively blocks any usable picture.
03-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've used it on my K10D without issue. More often in snow than rain. The flash can really light up the snow which depending on your shot, could be a good thing or not so good.

03-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

I know each and every one of those raindrops would become highlighted and frozen in position, usually wrecking the image.

Trust me, it has been known to rain in Scotland, but we're very lucky here, that we have the unusual kind, ours is nearly always the horizontal.

I tend not to play in the rain, so its never been an issue for me.