Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jaws Quote
Why not find a photo processing shop and have them transfer your images to a DVD, then (after checking it works) you have a clean SD card to begin again.
I have found that this is not reliable, having done it in a couple of countries. Generic photo lab shops have automatic boxes for this purpose, but these sometimes compromise the quality of the images, change all the filenames and remove EXIF data. So you are left with lower res undated and untagged photos. This happened to me on a vacation to Canada. Also I am not happy leaving many GB of cards in a lab for a few hours while this is done.

A solution I have used instead is to visit an internet cafe and do the transfers myself. Bring a USB card reader and enjoy a coffee while checking your email. This helps pass the time waiting for all the data to copy.

03-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I use a 60gb Wolverine drive.

It has built-in rechargeable batteries as well as built-in card readers and USB port. It will charge off the USB, comes with a car adapter and just auto-copies the files on the card into a sequential folder when you insert it and push the go button.

Couldn't be simpler.

Ray
03-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #33
Forum Member

Yes good point about the poor transfer to DVD, I am going to India in 3 weeks and i am not taking my own advice, I am taking a ship load of SD cards!

Cheers,
John
03-03-2008, 03:28 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Anyone considering the iPod/iPod Camera Connector option should probably consult the user reviews displayed at the Apple Store website in connection with the connector (sorry...couldn't stop myself...): The Apple Store (U.S.) - Apple iPod Camera Connector.

Apparently, the combination works great for some users and some equipment, while not working at all/not working well for others. Caveat emptor, everyone!

03-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Wolverine drive drive looks interesting. I've decided againt an Ipod solution. I'll probably just get several SD cards or the Wolverine drive.

Great suggestions.
03-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #36
Veteran Member

i would suggest a USB powered external storage device (My Passport Essential 320 GB USB 2.0 Hard Drives ( WDME3200 )) and getting Delkin's Delkin Devices - Products - USB Bridge
03-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
I've got the P2000 and....I've never tried SDHC cards in it.
They dont work and no upgrades on offer.
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I crashed my external hard drive a few months ago while travelling - just a split second's inattention which is a commonplace happening when you have a busy schedule, jet lag and all.
Fortunately I had not yet filled up the SD card, and had not deleted any of the new photos taken on the trip. If it had happened later in the trip, it would have caused me a lot of heartache..

Moral of the story - External hard drives are very convenient, have huge storage, but take care. Spare SD cards are still a more robust way to store travel photos.

If you shoot a lot of RAW photos, I guess only external hard drives can provide enough backup space. A 4 GB SD can fill up pretty fast with RAW shots. Just take extra care with the Hard Drives.

03-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
i would suggest a USB powered external storage device (My Passport Essential 320 GB USB 2.0 Hard Drives ( WDME3200 )) and getting Delkin's Delkin Devices - Products - USB Bridge
I looked at this option but there is one flaw, the cameras so far are usb 1.1 and are slow.

Many notebook sized USB external drives don't come with an adaptor and need to be powered by the USB port on the computer. The bridge can't power them.

External readers would also need to be self powered because the bridge can't even power the reader.

I gave up in the end with the bridge, and got a photo vault enclosure with its own rechargeable battery, and built in card readers, installed a spare notebook drive that was sitting around, and off I go.

Only issue is no viewer, which is a nice feature, but you pay a lot of $$ for it.

As an alternitive, I got a CF card based USB host for my Dell Axim X50 and I can access the photos to look on the PDA screen. carrying the PDA is not a burden, as I usually take it with me. I can access my e-mail with it, view my photos, and keep track of all my activities, confirmation numbers when I travel, etc.
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I utilize many SD cards and an ARCHOS media player. The ARCHOS media player works (an older one) works kind of like an IPOD. I can't view Raw files, but I can store them easily. I like it better than the IPOD because in the case of JPGs, I could review them directly and it was much more flexible.

I don't delete the SD cards. The ARCHOS device is more of a backup for the possibility of theft, dropping, etc. I figure I won't lose both on a trip.

Similar to others, I limit myself to 2GB SD cards. Part of this is because my wife's camera is older and can only accept 2GB cards at the largest, and the other is because I don't like carrying all my eggs in one basket. Back in my old 2MP digital camera days I had lost a 1GB SM card (remember those) which had a couple thousand photos on it. Ever since, I've tried to keep the number of photos that I could lose to a minimum. Those SD cards are so small as it is.

The main limitation with the ARCHOS device is that it requires batteries, and they can't be changed or recharged if you are out backpacking or hiking. I had wanted that, but it seems the days of changeable batteries in devices is over... at least for MP3 type devices since I had wanted that too. I just delete music as I need more photo space if it comes to that.

Erik
03-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am in the travel with a computer group. I took my notebook on my last trip to NY, MD and DC. I left in in the hotel while out for the day, but uploaded all my shots to it at the end of each day. Also made DVD backups each day. Not only did this let me safely offload my SD cards, but when I got bored at any time I just hopped on the computer and did some PP. At one point I even uploaded a web gallery of the day's images to share with family and copied some shots I took on my sister-in-law's camera.
03-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #42

The last time I traveled abroad, I took my laptop and an external harddrive. At the end of each day, I downloaded all pictures (filled up three to four one or two gig cards shooting RAW) onto the laptop and the external. I also posted some of my favorites onto my Flickr account for storage and to let others see where we were. So ... triple redundancy in case something crashes or develops feet.
03-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bactman Quote
The last time I traveled abroad, I took my laptop and an external harddrive. At the end of each day, I downloaded all pictures (filled up three to four one or two gig cards shooting RAW) onto the laptop and the external. I also posted some of my favorites onto my Flickr account for storage and to let others see where we were. So ... triple redundancy in case something crashes or develops feet.
I actually do the same.
That probably does not help the original poster.
He wanted to avoid buying multiple SD cards, and we advise him to get all kinds of extra stuff

- Bert
03-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
They dont work and no upgrades on offer.
You can get SDHC to CF adapter. It's a bit inconvenient since you have to pop in the adapter and then the CDHC card in it, but it does get the job done. They can be easily found on eBay but they are not as cheap as one would expect.
03-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I did an around the world trip last year and saved my shots on my IPod each night using a transfer device from Belkin that I borrowed from some Apple-nut.

The only downside was the user interface is a bit primative - just flashing red/green/yellow lights that you need to interpert. But I'd be comfortable doing it this way again if I couldn't take the lap top.

Keeping the batteries fully charged was a bigger challenge, although not that big a deal with planning.

Regards,
tom peace