Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
I travel with multiple SD cards and a portable hard-drive (and my iPod-equivalent iRiver). Then all I need to do is find an internet cafe and I'll backup all photos to both devices. This won't work when trekking through the wilderness, of course, but if that's the case I wouldn't want any more weight and I'd probably just stick with multiple SD cards. One thing I try to do as well is change SD cards every day, regardless of whether they're full or not. That way, you don't run the risk of losing (say) five consecutive days worth of shooting.

03-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
You can get SDHC to CF adapter. It's a bit inconvenient since you have to pop in the adapter and then the CDHC card in it, but it does get the job done. They can be easily found on eBay but they are not as cheap as one would expect.
Thanks will check that out!!!
03-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm glad I found this thread I was just looking to get something to take on my Blues Festival trips next month I'm leaning toward the Archos 704 WiFi 80GB Portable Media Player for 350 bucks.
03-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #49
SPB

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to have an Apacer writer, but then you get many, many CD's! Not a solution, the battery is also dead.

I now use 12 512MB SD cards, and have never run out, even at a Classic Car meeting where I am taking pictures most of the morning and well into the afternoon. I have also a portable HD, but don't really trust that. So it did happen once where I needed 3 more cards worth about 90 more pictures, so I copied three cards to the HD, blanked them and carried on.

When I get back to base I copy first all the cards to the main computer, then the ones from the HD.

When all is checked as being present on main machine, I do my editing etc.

03-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I'll add another vote for the Wolverine Flashpac 60GB drive. I also have the Epson P-2000, and even before my switch to SDHC, I decided I liked the Flashpac better. It's a simpler device, plus it has more storage and it's much cheaper. I like the fact that Wolverine has a firmware update that allows me to use SDHC cards. Until I read here about the SDHC to CF adapter (good idea), I figured my Epson was obsolete.

The Epson has a very nice screen, but it doesn't fully support raw files, meaning you can't zoom/rotate them. The newer Epsons may be more flexible (probably are) but you're paying well over $300 for them. I found my P-2000 on closeout when CompUSA closed here, so I paid well less than that. I got my Flashpac at Fry's for $100 after a $50 rebate. You can buy them direct from Wolverine right now for $120 for the 60GB, and prices vary for the other capacities. However, they are all a bargain.

One other area where the Epson has an advantage is it has a removable battery. I bought a second battery on ebay for it (3rd party). Like most ebay junk, it charged/worked for about 3 times before it died completely. However, I could get a real second battery and that would help on the power front. The Flashpac can charge via USB so that's really convenient. I've seen USB charging bars (for free) at a lot of the US airports recently, so power it getting easier to come by.
03-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #51
Inactive Account

I have many 2 and 4 GB cards. With my card reader copy the photos on laptop and then on DVD.
03-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #52
PDL
Pentaxian

OK so what do you do when your computer is 7,000 miles away?

QuoteOriginally posted by alex1962 Quote
I have many 2 and 4 GB cards. With my card reader copy the photos on laptop and then on DVD.
I carry (now at least) 3 4GB cards and one 8GB card. But that still would not cover a long term vacation - (I now carry 20GB - I shot 21GB when I was 7,000 miles from my laptop).

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL