Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #1

How do you store your photos when traveling w/o computer

Without buying multiple SD cards? I've looked at digital foci items. Other suggestions.

03-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a tough one and something I've never ever considered. I just got back from 10 days in Germany and picked up an extra 4GB card reader for $20 before I left. I'm sure someone here will have a solution. I'm interested in seeing what's out there.
03-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pastorbbc Quote
Without buying multiple SD cards? I've looked at digital foci items. Other suggestions.
You could go for an image tank: VOSONIC
If you want to secure your pictures, you'd need a backup system.
Just buy enough SD card storage and an image tank.
With the prices coming down, just get yourself a couple of 8Gb cards and be happy!
Make sure not to loose them while traveling, they are so small....

- Bert
03-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #4

An imagetank is a great idea but I think I'd go for multiple SD cards. Just because they are easier to take with you because they are small and don't need batteries or another powersource.
As Bert said, they are getting cheaper.

03-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #5

All the hard-disc based image storage solutions have one big problem - hard discs are very sensitive to hits/bumps/etc.
Even though most of these image storage solutions use laptop hard drives that have some form of protection against malfunctions caused by mechanical shocks, I still wouldn't trust them enough to be the only place where I store my photos. Memory cards are nice and light and 100% electronic only, with no moving parts. If you wrap them in a 10cm thick layer of protective foam you can probably drop them from a high roof and still not lose a single picture (I'm kidding here, don't try it, walkers by don't need that "extra memory" in their brain ).
03-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have an Epson P-2000. I can't recommend it.

It does allow me to make a copy of the photo files, but the copying is slow and probably uses a lot of power, and the battery in the device doesn't seem to last long enough to do what I wanted it to do. Possible that I bought the wrong tool, that this is designed for carrying photos around AFTER you've got them stored. I bought it originally thinking I'd take it to the Grand Canyon on a trip where we were going to be camping--no electricity for recharging the battery or plugging the device in while copying. I didn't go on that trip, but my use of the P-2000 convinces me that it would not have been worth the weight it adds to my pack.

A couple years ago I used my iPod as a backup device. I was pleased to learn later that the iPod can also play music. ;-)

I have several trips scheduled this year--out to the Davis Mtns in West Texas and down to Big Bend in a few weeks, up to Rocky Mtn National Park in Colorado in June, and a rim-to-rim hike of the Grand Canyon in October. On the first two trips, I'll be able to bring my computer, as we're not camping. For the rim-to-rim hike, however, I guess I will bring plenty of cards, and carry 'em in a waterproof bag that hangs around my neck.

Will
03-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Five Solutions

There are at least five distinct solutions. If you keep everything on memory cards you might need a lot of them indeed for extensive shooting exercises. And with the price coming down those cards depreciate rapidly. They are light and easy to carry, but easy to lose. If you go this route be sure and flip the card to read-only after it is filled. That way, if you accidentally try to re-use the same card, you will get an error on the camera. An organised storage system with two card holders, one for empty and one for full, helps as well.

Photo-specific hard drive storage tools ("image tanks") are the expensive option, but they allow you to review your images back in the hotel room / train / tent so you can delete stuff that's definitely rubbish. For example the Digital Foci Picture Porter Elite combines a 3.6" LCD, a 120 GB and a card reader for $360. If you get something like this be sure and check that it works with PEF files! Battery life and power options will vary widely.

The third way is to get a 2.5" IDE enclosure that can run off batteries and throw in your own hard drive. The Thecus N1050 is available for only €27 and could take something like the 120GB Hitachi Travelstar (€65). This gives you an intriguing option to simply replace the hard drive when it is full, so you have a complete archive of originals. At less than a third the price of the previous option it's the most reasonable solution, but you have only small indicator lights to confirm that copies have been successful, and no screen for reviewing.

You could get an Archos media player for not much more than the image tank that would do triple duty as an MP3 and video player. Chances are this would not show PEFs so you'd need to shoot JPG as well. Or just wait until you're back on your computer to view.

Finally, just bring a laptop. You get an amazing screen, large hard drive, card reader and all your image tools to hand!

I have tried none of these solutions but search the web and you will find that others have.

03-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I used a Vosonic 8360 80GB whilst away for a month last June - worked reliably although as already mentioned it's not without risk. At the time SD cards were quite expensive but with recent falls I would now take the portable storage + additional SD cards, better safe than sorry !!

simon
03-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #9

Anyone with a Creative ZEN MP3/video player? it has a CF card slot and you can also buy a Creative card adapter that would read pretty much any type of cards including SD card. This way you can upload your pics to the ZEN, and be able to view all JPEG file and video files. Seems like a versatile option. I don't have one myself but i'm considering it. At the moment the current HD in the Vision W choices are 30GB and 60GB.
03-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have A SmartDisk PB40. 40GB hard drive and internal battery operated. It's fine for downloading off the SD cards. I also carry 14GB worth of cards. So between the 2 I'm set. The unit cost me all of $41.00 on Ebay. Gives about 3-3.5 hours on a charge and I have an AC/DC invertor for the van so recharges are easy if needed. I can dump all 14GB at least twice on a full charge (never tried more than that). If I was going to camp out in the mountains, I'd probably get one of those solar panels that roll up for a charger source for this and the camera.

The unit is simply a cigarette pack sized case/hard drive with an on/off button and a copy button. no viewing or other features. For me that's not a big deal as all I want is the backup.
03-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

All the options with pros and cons...

QuoteOriginally posted by pastorbbc Quote
Option 1. Buy enough SD cards. If you fill them all up you can still delete some images and get more space.

Pros: Simple, portable (you dont have to leave the cards in the hotel) and robust (if you lose 1 card out of 10 its not so bad as losing them all), of you bring the cord you can review images on the hotel TV screen.
Cons: Very expensive (10X4GB cards min if you shoot RAW = $500), no backup

Option 2. Take a laptop with DVD burner.

Pros: You can review and even process all you stuff on the go, can backup to DVDs, can do email and surfing while on holiday
Cons: V expensive, heavy, cant take it hiking (have to leave it in hotel/car), fragile.

Option 3. Take an image viewer.

Pros: Smaller and cheaper than a laptop, can take with you in your camera bag, large capacity, can review and zoom in to files
Cons: Still pricey for good ones, fragile, no possibility of backup, frequently cant be upgraded to support RAW files for newer cameras. My P2000 will see imbedded K20 thumbnails but it wont read SDHC cards so its a useless bit of junk now.

Have tried all the above. When my laptop HD crashed in France I luckily had my P2000 as well, but I could only use non-SDHC cards from then on....

My preferred future option? Take 10 or more SD cards of 4GB each and keep used ones safely on my person (separate from the camera). Delete the rubbish as you go and you should have room for 5-6 days shooting. Its helps that I already have 6 of them so for me its just a few more.
03-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have three 2 gig cards...if I get nervous and things are filling up, I transfer them onto my 8 gig thumb drive in just a few minutes, via internet cafe...when I get home, I just dump them all onto the computer, sort them out, keep the ones I want and trash the ones that I don't.

With the cost of memory being so cheap nowadays, no need to carry anything that doesn't take up more space than a stick of gum.

Jas
03-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've got the P2000 and have been pleased with it's performance. I download and view pictures on it, and will copy the best onto an empty SD card or two as secondary backup, and or to get CDs burned while traveling as another backup. It's been to SE Asia, Turkey, Belize and elsewhere and survived those trips. You will need a power source - the battery doesn't last terribly long - and I've never tried SDHC cards in it.
03-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Well...

I have 43 2GB SD cards I got them when they were on sale for $4.95. They aren't the new super fast ones but they work for me. I also have an Epson P3000 portable storage device.

Robert
03-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I haven't done it yet, but a friend of mine (professional photographer - he uses C***n) suggested using Internet Cafe and an on line storage service. I'll be in Tucany and La Spezia Italy later this year.

Anyway, all I'll need is my SD card reader and it doesn't take up much room at all.

Bill