Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We have discussed this issue before:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/14643-photo-hard-drives.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/13305-portable-hard-drive-would-you-choose.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/11871-transfering-...rd-drivre.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/10733-photobank...ggestions.html

That said - I use a Wolverine flashpac 7000 portable 40GB hard drive. External Hard Drives I have carried it all over - including a month long trip to New Zealand. I bought it in 2005 - simply because I wanted a way to travel around - without having - to carry a laptop.

I am fully aware that if I drop it, step on it, spill coffee on it - it will die - but so will my camera. It is pretty well protected and all it does is read multiple memory card types. It also can/will fail sometime due to --- well hard drives just fail. I am not paranoid enough to think that everything is just going to die. If you are afraid to carry a portable hard drive - just because you think you might drop it - how about a laptop, ever dropped one of those?

Other things to consider - electrical outlets and power coverters. I bought the Wolverine car charger (it has a L-ion battery) so as long as I could get to a car, I was fine. I also had my solar cell charger too - has a cigarette outlet on it - that I used to charge the Wolverine (too see if it would work) and power my year 2000 class PDA and GPS combo. Most of the time I just used my power converter to charge the battery.

During the trip - I carried all of my cards at the time (about 10GB) but only transfered the data to the Wolverine in the evening. The Wolverine stayed in the appartment/hotel while I was out and about. Between my son and I - we shot 21GB of images (this was not a pure photo trip - it was my wife's vacation too ya know). My workflow is this.
1. Take a new SD card out of the SD card storage slot in the carry around camera bag.
2. Put the SD card into the camera and format the SD card.
3. When the SD card is full - take it out and lock the SD card.
4. Go back to step 1.
Back at the appartment/hotel
1. Take out all SD cards that are locked.
2. Insert locked card into Wolverine and copy images.
3. After copy has completed - The Wolverine will turn it self off - or you can just watch - boring.
4. Remove card, un-lock it and put it back into the bag.

Single point of failure - yup - but for a while there I thought I lost my 4GB card in NZ too - before I got it copied (in the couch behind the cushion). Could it be stolen - yup - but not as enticing as a laptop or DVD burner. Slow - yup - but there was little else to do. Could not see my images (my model does not show you the images) - yup - but when shooting film for 40+ years - I could not see the images either.

I now have 25GB of SD cards - maybe the next time I go out and about for a long period of time the Wolverine will stay home. But I really doubt it.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

03-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have a recent iPod you can get a camera adapter that will let you connect your camera to the iPod. It's slow but it does work and since I take my iPod with me when I travel I'm not really carrying anything extra. I don't erase my SD cards until I have to, but since I have only 3 2GB ones the 40GB hard drive on the iPod is nice.
03-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #18
Forum Member

I use multiple cards. I had to resist the temptation of buying 16GB cards & bought smaller class 6 cards (2 x 8GB & a few 4GB & 2GB cards) instead. My reasoning for this is so I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket in case of failure, theft, damage, etc.
03-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #19

cheap extreme III

I just picked up an SanDisk Extreme III 8GB card for $40 after rebate. Not a bad deal, and a fairly fast card! I think there's a limit of one rebate per household though...

03-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

pastorbbc, it's a Hyberdrive SPACE w/a 120 Gig drive for me. HyperDrive - The World's Fastest Memory Card Backup Device I got mine before the ability to view the image in color; battery lasts very long w/o viewing however so I'm ok for now with that.
03-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
pastorbbc, it's a Hyberdrive SPACE w/a 120 Gig drive for me. HyperDrive - The World's Fastest Memory Card Backup Device I got mine before the ability to view the image in color; battery lasts very long w/o viewing however so I'm ok for now with that.
wow, cool device, but costs almost what a laptop costs!

Jas
03-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #22
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
wow, cool device, but costs almost what a laptop costs!
Jas
huh? : $239 USD w/the 60Gig drive ; $149 USD w/o a harddrive and you supply your own. I'm talking about the original one, w/o color or image display.

03-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

oops, sorry! Saw the $339 and thought to myself, I just bought a Sony Laptop for $399 at Best Buy in December!

Jas
03-02-2008, 12:44 AM   #24
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
oops, sorry! Saw the $339 and thought to myself, I just bought a Sony Laptop for $399 at Best Buy in December!
Jas
at risk of going off topic, holy cow! I didn't know they could be had new for that little... I thought you had to get refurbished or NOS corporate stock liquidation for that little cost (as I got my IBM X24 to replace my X20, which was still $200 more).
03-02-2008, 12:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

No, I was in the States in November/December and Best Buy had an after Thanksgiving sale and featured a Sony VAIO for $399....and it currently serves as my backup and travel laptop.

Pentium Dual Core, 1 Gig of RAM which I bought another Gig for $27 dollars off of Amazon, DVD burner, 15.4 in screen, Vista Home premium, SD card reader, etc.....Brand New, full warranty, Steal of the year!

Jas
03-02-2008, 06:17 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought an Image tank from Tiger Direct.

Product is called SansDigital and comes with everything except the note book hard disk.

It can take any size disk, but must be formated in FAT32 which limits the partition for photos to 32 GB.

Device has built in card readers, and battery, and comes with 1 button back up function.

It can be read from and USB port.

I view images with my PDA, which is equipped with a USB host card (this is separate CF fard.

I use it for back up, at the price of cards today, just buy cards
03-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert Barnett Quote
I have 43 2GB SD cards I got them when they were on sale for $4.95.
43 SD cards? wow!
03-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #28

Original Poster
Thanks everyone -- certainly gives me a lot of options. I like the Ipod option (don't have one) but gives me a device to use for several purposes. I have a macbook pro (that I won't be taking on my overseas trip) -- but the Ipod will go well with at home.

I'm concered because I've found several that talk about how long it takes to transfer a 2gb card. Anyone with a lot of expereince with this?
03-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #29
Forum Member

Why not find a photo processing shop and have them transfer your images to a DVD, then (after checking it works) you have a clean SD card to begin again.

cheers,
John
03-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #30
Veteran Member

My friend uses an 80-gb Ipod and this: Gadgets Page iWay: Empty Your SD Card Onto Your Video iPod

Personally for that price I'd prefer buying a few more cards Ipods are so easily lost or stolen...

Pat