Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
I watch DigitalRev more for entertainment than anything else. They have really gone over the top lately and are becoming hard to watch. I do think the cheap camera challenges are very interesting. The latest one with Vincent Laforet was really good, He had some interesting things to say, when Kai would shut up..

For a good camera review watch the videos put out by The Camera Store TV. These are much more informative and they seem to like Pentax.

If you haven't' seen it, check out this episode where Chris, from TCSTV does his impression of Kai, while reviewing the Fuji X10.

03-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
For a good camera review watch the videos put out by The Camera Store TV. These are much more informative and they seem to like Pentax.
That's my thought too, the content in The Camera Store videos is far and away more informative, less biased and more useful than anything Digital Rev has done.

He sure nailed the accent. If the jokes were snootier, I would have sworn it was Kai.
03-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A top-notch jerk IMO ...
03-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
"The Strobist" wrote that the girl Alamby seems to be the writer for most of the lines after he was in the show. So Kai could jut be a puppet doll and not that douch-like at all in reality.
I think he was joking about that...

03-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #35
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by josh_smith77073 Quote
has anyone watched DigitalRevCom's youtube channel?
Well not until I read this thread, a stunningly fine example of true journalistic eloquence.
03-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I also saw that Strobist blog entry, thought that was interesting, but I'm not surprised if she writes his lines. If you watch some of Kai's earlier videos, he was a little less over-the-top, so I'd suspect he's been "groomed" to be this character. .
I'm sure part of is the "schtick" that makes the show unique and is an act. In some of the blooper shots, you can hear Kai saying "I can't say that" and looking directly at Alamby.
You can't take him seriously after seeing this seriously weird video

They look like they're having fun and seem to be making enough to keep doing it, so you have to hand it to them...

p.s., and I'm not sure where Pentax does get any respect...not in Canada either when I visited :-p
p.p.s., curious if you'd still think he's pretentious if he didn't have that Brit accent? I find Brits sound pretentious
03-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I think he went to an English public school. The accent and humour is pretty typical public school.
03-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You can't take him seriously after seeing this seriously weird video
After seeing the video, I'm going to add "dorky" to the list of descriptors.

03-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I found DRTV entertaining a while ago, but as the videos got sillier and more "douchy" to the point of jumping the shark, I dropped out... I still follow their pro-photo cheap camera videos but skip most others.

"The Camera Store" video reviews on the other hand I find excellent. Just the right balance of serious reviews and comedy.

Pat
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #40
Forum Member

I love the channel (pro photographer cheap camera series is really great) not too much of a fan of Kai, but I don't hate him. I love Lok because of his nerdiness and awkwardness. I have watched most of their videos and they don't seem to HATE Pentax, Kai just seems to like to make fun of them, and in a way I think he does it because he wants to see more out of them, to take more risks. There was a video entitled "How to save Pentax?" and he said that he wanted to see something retro, sort of a silver and black rangefinder form factor. He thinks they need more money and need to find their niche in the camera market. Lok said Canon and Nikon has function nailed down, and Olympus and Panasonic have form nailed down, and Pentax is lost in the sauce.

If you watch other videos on their channel, other photographers say good things about Pentax, specifically Mark Chung in the "AnalogRev: Hasselblad Love" video, but in the actual reviews and goofy videos, it just seems like they like to use Pentax as the butt of jokes. The only one I found upsetting was during their "How to be a Camera Tosser" video where Kai completely randomly yells "Pentax is shit! Pentax is shit!" in a Tourette's syndrome-like way when no one is even talking about Pentax or even using one in the video there.
03-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brandonbpm Quote
Lok said Canon and Nikon has function nailed down
I can't agree with that. Canon has video nailed down, Pentax has still photography nailed down.
03-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I don't pay much attention to the show as they lack any credibility but I DID like the episode where the set a Canon 7D on fire.

Last edited by abmj; 03-25-2013 at 10:05 PM.
03-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brandonbpm Quote
I love the channel (pro photographer cheap camera series is really great) not too much of a fan of Kai, but I don't hate him. I love Lok because of his nerdiness and awkwardness. I have watched most of their videos and they don't seem to HATE Pentax, Kai just seems to like to make fun of them, and in a way I think he does it because he wants to see more out of them, to take more risks. There was a video entitled "How to save Pentax?" and he said that he wanted to see something retro, sort of a silver and black rangefinder form factor. He thinks they need more money and need to find their niche in the camera market. Lok said Canon and Nikon has function nailed down, and Olympus and Panasonic have form nailed down, and Pentax is lost in the sauce.

If you watch other videos on their channel, other photographers say good things about Pentax, specifically Mark Chung in the "AnalogRev: Hasselblad Love" video, but in the actual reviews and goofy videos, it just seems like they like to use Pentax as the butt of jokes. The only one I found upsetting was during their "How to be a Camera Tosser" video where Kai completely randomly yells "Pentax is shit! Pentax is shit!" in a Tourette's syndrome-like way when no one is even talking about Pentax or even using one in the video there.
when the comment was made that "pentax is lost in the sauce" i can look at that a take that as honest opinion from a real perspective about a proper review. when kai says he wants to see something different from pentax but then quickly says "we chose the white one because its the least color to choose because it doest require you to be on lsd to look at it" or he yells "pentax is shit" but has yet to review anything other than a entry level dslr. it also pisses me off when he pretends that the flash wont close when its obvious he isnt pushing it properly. hes just pretentious and full of back handed compliments. he isnt no where near as critical on his canikons.
03-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #44
Pentaxian

It's entertainment
He's a Pom
Halarious public school lisp
05-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #45
Forum Member

Thought I would link to this. LOTS of Pentax love in this one...