Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Will this flash work on my Pentax K100D?

I used this flash on my old Pentax MG 35mm film camera. Seems like I bought the flash in 1984, if memory serves me correctly.

It's a Sunpak Auto 222 Thyristor.

Thanks a lot.

vmax84

03-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also, if it will work, how do I "tell" my camera this flash is on it? Thanks again.

vmax84
03-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would use a device called "safe sync" manufactured by " Wein". You put it on the hot shoe and then you put the flash on it. You just have to set your camera on manual , set a shutter speed equal or lower than the sync speed (X sync) and set the aperture according to the table that is on the back of the flash and the ISO your camera is set at. That's all there is to it.

Last edited by flyer; 03-01-2008 at 06:26 PM.
03-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I would use a device called "safe sync" manufactured by " Wein". You put it on the hot shoe and then you put the flash on it. You just have to set your camera on manual , set a shutter speed equal or lower than the sync speed (X sync) and set the aperture according to the table that is on the back of the flash. That's all there is to it.
If I don't do this, sounds like I could possibly damage the camera?

vmax84

03-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Inactive Account

It could potentially damage the camera since we dont know what the trigger voltage tolerance is for the K100D/K10D. The following website shows the trigger voltages of many flashes. See where your flash stands.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
03-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by quickpix Quote
It could potentially damage the camera since we dont know what the trigger voltage tolerance is for the K100D/K10D. The following website shows the trigger voltages of many flashes. See where your flash stands.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
Thanks a lot for the info!!!

vmax84
03-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

At the moment there is only one report for safe voltage.. If you happen to have a multimeter around, try measuring it just for double safety. Get a reading from the springed metal on the side of the shoe, and the center pin (the longest one).

Even if it uses high voltage, it will take a few months/years before actual damage happens, and it won't fry your whole camera, just the flash part.

I have one of these oldies, a Kako 300SD thyristor. Recycles faster than anything I could buy and performs very well.
03-02-2008, 04:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
At the moment there is only one report for safe voltage.. If you happen to have a multimeter around, try measuring it just for double safety. Get a reading from the springed metal on the side of the shoe, and the center pin (the longest one).

Even if it uses high voltage, it will take a few months/years before actual damage happens, and it won't fry your whole camera, just the flash part.

I have one of these oldies, a Kako 300SD thyristor. Recycles faster than anything I could buy and performs very well.
Actually, it could fry the circuit board that controls rhe flash. I would definitely use the safe sync. Pentax said that most of their cameras should be safe with older flashes, but didn't guarantee it. So, I would not take a chance, especially since everything in something as compact as a camera is more or less linked together. Better be safe than sorry.