Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #1

Is this a suitable reversing ring?

Hey again,

I've been looking all over the fleabay for a suitable reversing ring for my k100d and either the 18-55 or 50-200 lens so I can attempt some macro stuff on the cheap. Speaking of on the cheap, do you think that this is an acceptable ring?

Male 55mm-52mm 55-52 mm Macro Reverse Ring / reversing - (eBay.ca item 230168474119 end time 02-Mar-08 13:32:34 EST)

I just want to make sure I'm getting something worth getting that will work.

Thanks again for your help,

R.ticle One

03-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'd be better off looking for extension tubes for your macro photography. They are very handy to use.

Reversing rings are designed to reverse a lens in order to increase IQ when a non/macro lens is being used for macro. A reversing ring in itself doesn't impact magnification that much if at all.

The ring you are looking at on ebay apears to be designed to attach two lenses front-to-front; it isn't a traditional reversing ring which should have a K mount on one side and the thread on the other.

In any event the diameter of the threads on the ring must fit the diameter of the filter thread of your lens in order to be useable.

By attaching two lenses front to front you can achieve macro with the right lenses. Seach this forum and you will find some examples.
03-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for the reply. So, to me an extension tube seems a simpler solution. Would something like this: 5x Macro Extension Tube For Pentax K Mount NEW - (eBay.ca item 190201822806 end time 03-Mar-08 09:48:08 EST)

or this: Macro Extension tube for Pentax *ist DL2 DS K10D K100D - (eBay.ca item 350030941580 end time 06-Mar-08 01:48:13 EST)

do the trick?

Many thanks again!

R.ticle One
03-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I think you'd be better off looking for extension tubes for your macro photography. They are very handy to use.

Reversing rings are designed to reverse a lens in order to increase IQ when a non/macro lens is being used for macro. A reversing ring in itself doesn't impact magnification that much if at all.

I have to (respectfully) disagree with the statement above about a reversing ring not impacting magnification. When I attach my trusty 50mm f1.4 lens reversed on my DS, the image size is GREATLY increased - I'd say to about a 1:2 ratio.

As to the extension tubes - very useful and fun to use!! There are basically 3 types: completely manual (no aperture or focus control); auto aperture; and fully automatic (aperture and focus). Personally, I'd go for the 2nd (auto aperture) because working at such magnification the auto focus won't do you much good (IMO) since DoF is so short and YOU want to pick the focus point.

Another point - the original item you looked at was intended to attach 2 lenses front to front (as Ole stated) - I've used this method with a 135mm lens attached to my camera with the 50mm lens reversed on the front to take pics of tundra flora. Hi-magnification and a VERY close focus distance (maybe 1/2 inch) - lots of fun, but very close to the ground work.

Whatever method you choose, enjoy!!

03-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Be ware, that's not the reverse adapter. It's a macro coupler ring, which is used to attach two lenses against each other. The magnification can be huge if the FL ratio is great. Attach a 50mm in reverse to a 300mm lens would give you 6:1 magnification. Of course the working distance would be greatly reduced, the DOF is extremely thin. It's advisable to have a fast reverse lens (or at least as fast a the main lens).