Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Collecting IST DS body

The first Pentax I ever bought was a K110 - knowing nothing about cameras. After being forced to learn on the K110 I ended up selling it in favor of a used IST DS. Now I have 3 DS's... I know they're old but I just really like them. I collected a whole pile of old glass for about the cost of a new AF lens. My technique may not be as quick, but I still turn out nice photos.

Just curious to hear other opinions. I've looked at new cameras but they feel almost alien to me - its almost like playing an instrument. Is there really much difference between a $200 guitar and a $2000 one?

DS and a $30 seikenon 28mm 2.8

03-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like your idea. I had been looking at *ist Ds and DSs for a while before acquiring my K-x. They look like very good cameras for basically the price of a new crappy point-and-shoot.
03-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My DS was an accidental purchase. It was described as a D on fleabay and I never really used it much. I sold it to help fund a K5. The *istD I bought is a keeper. TTL flash rocks.
03-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a sentimental attachment to my *ist DS so I still have it and use it. I would have a hard time recommending it to someone today, though. Used prices for other cameras with greater capabilities are too close.

03-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've taken plenty of good photos with an *ist DS. Sure, there's a difference between the *ist DS & the top-of-the-line models... That doesn't mean the *ist DS isn't still a very capable camera. As far as IQ, the main areas I notice a big difference is in high ISO performance and 6 vs. 12 or 14 MP. Otherwise, meh...

QuoteOriginally posted by jkomp316 Quote
Is there really much difference between a $200 guitar and a $2000 one?
As a guy who has played guitar for the last 35 years or so, I can tell you it's mostly about the setup. I've played Gibsons & Martins that played like crap & $150 guitars that play like a dream.
03-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I also got a DS for its lens and decided to keep it (and not the lens). I really like the CCD look at low ISO (less than or equal to 800). I put in an S type screen and now use it with fast manual lenses. And no SR to worry about entering! (I know, I could turn it off in my K5, but I don't.) I have a D too, but since I learned on a K100 I find the DS has a more intuitive interface than the *ist D (which may soon hit the market).
03-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

and it supports TTL flash!

03-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #8

My one and only dslr is -still- the istD and I love it.
That CCD output is beautiful.
My other digital is an Oly EP-1 and I can see a difference in the tonal gradiation, -looking at skies-,
it is a much softer tonal gradation in the istD images. Also very litle noise up to 800 iso.
It has been said many times: itīs a film like output.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
E-P1  Photo