Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone else trying to get a K5IIS but can't?

I ordered a K5IIS on 13 February from a retailer here in Australia, expecting to have to wait a short time because there was no stock immediately on hand. Chased it up with Pentax Australia just over 2 weeks ago, and was told "2 weeks". Was told today that they have no forecast delivery date. Are we the only people in the world who can't get their hands on one or is there a world-wide shortage ?

03-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #2

We seem to have plenty in Japan. Yodobashi Camera's website says it could be delivered to my door by tomorrow afternoon! I feel for you, friend. I hate wanting something and not being able to recieve it. Good luck and I hope you can get one soon!
03-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
God being made to wait once you've pulled the trigger on new kit, can't think of anything worse.

But I guess you'll appreciate it all the more once it arrives.
03-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter

A little secret, most digital cameras deliveries from factories to sellers are made by land or sea, almost never by air, because on altitude something around 3000 meters electromagnetic radiation is powerful enough to penetrate airplane and damage sensors. So as Australia have no land connection with other world and sea delivery is slow you just wait until it will be delivered.

03-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #5

Yet another reason to avoid rip-off Aussie rates? Ordered mine from DWI on Feb 20, it was only held up because another item I ordered was not in stock. I prompted them on it and they shipped the K5-II separately on Feb 28, and it arrived (all the way from Hong Kong) about 3-4 days later. For AU $859.

Pretty hard to argue with. The most I've spent at an Aussie camera store recently is $10 for a microfibre cloth (complete with store advertising which they probably paid less than $1 for). Thought I'd look in the window for secondhand deals... they wanted $399 for a model of lens I had gathering dust (Zuiko OM 50/3.5 Macro). Looked it up on eBay.. market value about $80. Just a joke! They make their money ripping off people who are either unsuspecting or too rich to care.
03-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
Are we the only people in the world who can't get their hands on one
Welcome to the mysterious ways of CRK inventory management. They don't seem to order things in from Pentax in small batches, as needed, or hold a decent inventory of stock in Australia for a lot of things. I think they wait until they have enough orders to fill up a container or two, then they get things shipped from Japan to Australia.

I had the same hassles with you in trying to get ahold of a DA*300 last year. Took me a month or two from order date to delivery date, with no one from CRK or the retailer ever being able to give a firm delivery date.

It pays to check with local retailers that they actually have stock on hand for Pentax gear before buying something, esp if you need it promptly.
03-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #7

It's funny how they can't bring a container load in at a time for anywhere near as cheaply as others can posting themone-by-one from Honkers, and yet they claim not to be gouging us... shyeah, right. (Same goes for most imported items in Australia.)
03-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Don't get me started on CRK, my FA43 was in for a repair on 16/01/2013, I called them up Wednesday, 2 months after I sent it in, and they still told me" it's waiting for parts"....

03-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I didn't have to wait at all for mine - as soon as I saw one in the glass cabinet behind the counter at the camera store I just asked - "I have several green notes weighing down my wallet, can I have a look at that K5IIs" and I bought it on the spot...I knew they had one, so I brought one of the freshly charged batteries from my 645D and put it into the K5IIs. The staff at that particular camera store know me very well.

03-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Perhaps by the time they get stock you'll be given the option of receiving a K-3
03-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Not a single IIs arrived to Turkey yet through the AD, Pentax marketing simply sucks here.
03-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
on altitude something around 3000 meters electromagnetic radiation is powerful enough to penetrate airplane and damage sensors.
Oh! No! So much for doing anymore mountain or travel photography!

Steve
03-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Oh! No! So much for doing anymore mountain or travel photography!

Steve
How you use your camera is your personal preferences, you can hammer nails in to the wall with it if you so desire. On the other hand, camera makers don't want to have massive money lost on recalling there product.