Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hiking the Cinque Terre and Camera Suggestions

Hello-

We're looking forward to our upcoming 7 day walk through the Cinque Terre region, and I'd really value your suggestions about what camera(s) to take. I have a K 200D, K-01 and Fuji X10. I like them all and want to keep it simple, ideally one body with a backup. I love the K 200D but have too found that as a walk-about it can be slow for grab shots, and that's mostly what I expect to do. I think the K-01 and maybe even the X10 might be faster for that, but I'm faster with grabs while looking through the finder. I'm kind of stuck in the middle, and know a K30/K5II would solve everything but can't afford a new body right now. I suspect lighting will be varied throughout the day, with frequent shadows and interiors.

M y current thought is to carry the X10 during the hiking parts and either other body for more casual shooting, but know I might miss using the K 200D. So, thought I'd through it out there to Pentax Forum Land for what some of you might do. I probably don't want to take all three, but might consider it.

Many thanks.

03-22-2013, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Biff..where do you live right now and when are you leaving? I'm pretty busy with work over the next few weeks and my K-30/18-135 has been accumulating some dust, especially considering my K-5 IIs is my primary camera and my desire to embrace primes more. I'd love to loan the camera to you for your vacation to help make things a bit easier. Also, I can send my Op/Tech backpack straps that allow you to attach your camera and have them hang in front of you from the shoulder straps on your backpack (assuming it has webbing on the straps). Go to google and search "Op/Tech reporter/backpack" and you'll see what I mean. I would attach a picture but I'm on my phone

Let me know

-Heie
03-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Heie, that's a very generous offer and I may take you up on it, but while I'm careful I'm afraid something might happen to your camera. You did make me think though that maybe the solution is to sell some gear to fund a K-30. The lenses I was considering taking are 12-24 and 18-135, and maybe a fast prime.

I do have camera strap click on attachments for my pack straps, I think they're Tamrac. They work great.
03-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We're leaving end of May, so I I get a new camera I'd want a little time to get familiar with it.

03-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Biff,

You're very welcome and don't worry about it - cameras are meant to be used, especially Pentax's

Regarding your purchasing your own, I came across this and thought of you.

K-30 + 18-55WR + 50-200WR + 16GB Card + Camera Bag = $849 SHIPPED

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/219059-k-30-w-18-55wr-50-200wr.html

Best of luck to you and let me know either way what decision you make!

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 03-24-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo
03-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. That's a good price for that kit. I have that lens range pretty well covered so wouldn't need the lenses, but it's a nice starter package.
03-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
The lenses I was considering taking are 12-24 and 18-135, and maybe a fast prime.
Now that is a perfect set of 3 lenses for the area IMHO, at least that set is what I'm taking in a couple of months when I visit. 18-135 for more open areas and beaches, 12-24 for town centres and landscape shots, FA31 or FA43 for max IQ or low light.

This is a change for me from 12-24, 31, 77 set of usual travel lenses as that set was causing too many lens changes which is a bit of a PITA when travelling with family & kids.

Enjoy your trip!
03-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great, thanks for the validation/reality check. I'm a little apprehensive about taking my FA31. Instead might take the FA 50 1.4, DA 40 Limited, or M 50 1.7 (which looks cool and works really well on the k-01).

At the moment I'm vacillating, I could probably sell enough to fund a K-30, if not a K5II, but I think might just stick the K200D and learn it better and take the K-01 for evenings and day back up.

If you're leaving in a couple months we may be there around the same time as I'll be there end of May.

03-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Cinque Terre region
If you really do mean hiking i.e. walking, I would keep the kit to an absolute minimum in terms of both weight and bulk, because even the little things seem get heavy after a few miles, enjoy your vacation.
03-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm nowhere near as fit or as young as Heie so I agree with kerrowdown that lightness is everything when hiking. I just got back from Italy and I took my KX, DA18-250mm, DA12-24mm, DA 35mm F2.4 and my Sony HX30v P&S. I found that once I got there the travel set up that I used was my KX, DA 12-24mm, DA 35mm F2.4 and my Sony. Think about dark churches too. I was at ISO 3200 a lot in those great old but dark churches. The 12-24 was good for villages that have tight roads and alleyways. I used the little Sony long range and "Sweep Panorama" shots. When we went out at night, I took the KX, DA35mm, and the Sony. That set up was small and easy to take in a small bag. You don't want to go to dinner with a backpack.

More importantly, have fun. Experience everything and record what you can and don't make a photo expedition out of it. You can always go back again.

Last edited by john5100; 03-25-2013 at 11:40 AM.
03-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
You can always go back again
Now your talking, a great excuse to do it all again, but with a slight change this time round, now where's that rent a car number.
03-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #12

While I have note hiked that area, I did "hike" all over Italy, Sicily, Croatia and Monaco 2yrs ago. If I did it again, I'd take 2-3 lens.

For the incredible Vista's, and if you do any inside shooting of Cathedrals....you need the Sigma 10-20mm. It will better showcase what your shooting then almost anything. (Tamron 10-24mm is very good also)

My Walk-around...tough choice. Something that starts near 18-135mm is nice, but not enough on top for some shots. Maybe a 18-250mm.

I did it with my K200D, plus the kit 18-55mm and the DA 55-300mm. (We also did the Spanish F1 race) So I know lenses I'd wish I'd had. And the K200D was great, except for the lack of good low light shooting in Cathedrals. I worked it hard and came away with stunning pictures. (thousands) With a modern body the low light shooting is a huge bonus if you think your going to face that.

I use a Kata backpack, it looks like a high quality regular backpack, but its made for your gear and is weather proof. And bright yellow inside so you can find your gear in the lowest light.

And do't forget some decent quality CPL's for all that beautiful Italian sky..